Watch

Got a question about this years best new wetsuit? Found an amazing new surf product? Post in here and let people know about it.

Watch

Postby pod » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:12 pm

What's everyones experience of wristwatches for surfing?

I had been using an old watch that I'd covered in ding-all resin to make damn sure it was waterproof but the battery's finally run out so I'm considering buying a proper waterproof watch so I can make sure I don't get out too late or too early on the pre-work sessions and avoid parling tickets etc.

I'm thinking that salty water and wipe outs could be quite demanding of any manufacturers claims of waterproofness.

Are G-shocks up to it? Black, I notice you got one a year or two ago, is it still alive? And are they a bit bulky to go under the sleve? Any other suggestions anyone?
pod

Re: Watch

Postby Black » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:16 pm

Yes, still working perfectly, only take it off to sleep. Slightly bulky but not annoying as I thought it may be. Usually just tighten the strap a notch before I get in. Would recommend. Can't remember off hand how long I've had it now.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby pod » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:00 pm

Good stuff, thanks. I think the post i found was from a couple of years ago. Someone else had had one fail though which i a bit of a concern. I might get one anyway. Maybe a solar one so the back never has to come off. hmm.
pod

Postby browncurtains » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:39 pm

The Casio HDA- 600 ...been my perfect surfing companion for years
Pricey , but worth the dollar. The watch design setup is for HDA = Heavy Duty Aileens.

As the guy at Argos said.
A true 'Waterman's' watch, 10 year battery , water resistant to 100m and it has a seconds hand that goes round so you can time the sets.
Only draw back is the Cage a bit big under 6mil suit and mitts, but you can take that off.... ;)
browncurtains

Postby Black » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:45 pm

Just checked, I got mine in Dec 2010. Its the Gulfman version supposedly saltwater resistant. From my experience saltwater shags just about everything except this watch, the metal parts show no signs they've even been wet. Have thought a battery change could be the start of the end but not at that point yet, maybe solar is a solution to that. Have to say its nice not to have to look around to see if I can tell who has a watch on to find the time, other people ask me what the time is and I'm happy to tell them. With a watch you can stay in literally to the last minute (and a bit beyond!) knowing you're not letting anyone down. Can't believe I'm selling the idea of wearing a watch in the ocean!
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby pod » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:41 pm

I know, it does feel a bit wrong to be clock watching during a passtime that should be more of a getaway from it all, but needs must. I think it was last thursday at Saltburn when I'd been getting loads of nice waves but accidentally got out early to go to work that made me think I should get a new time piece of some sort.

I'm not seeing much in all the g-shock blurb about specific salt water designs. Their G-lide range goes on about surfing but I think that's more of a styling/marketing thing.

Regarding your HDA- 600, browncurtains, my understanding is that 100m water resistance isn't even meant to be used for proper submersion activities so if that one's doing you OK then I guess it bodes well for casios in general. Cheers.
pod

Postby briggfoot » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:57 pm

pod wrote:What's everyones experience of wristwatches for surfing?

I had been using an old watch that I'd covered in ding-all resin to make damn sure it was waterproof but the battery's finally run out so I'm considering buying a proper waterproof watch so I can make sure I don't get out too late or too early on the pre-work sessions and avoid parling tickets etc.

I'm thinking that salty water and wipe outs could be quite demanding of any manufacturers claims of waterproofness.

Are G-shocks up to it? Black, I notice you got one a year or two ago, is it still alive? And are they a bit bulky to go under the sleve? Any other suggestions anyone?

PLEASE don't spunk your money on anything expensive.
Get one of these:
Less than a tenner from Argos. Best watch I've had.

It's SLIM. Proper slim-line to your wrist, not bulky, so sits awesome under your wetsuit and the wrist gets a good seal, without creating gaps for water to flush up.

Loads of my mates use these in preference to fancy Suunto watches or whatever. Mines served me perfectly for over a year and a half of surfing whenever I can, no signs of water-damage/salt-corrosion etc, and in some crap conditions on land.
And they're cheap as chips, if by bad luck it does break, just get another one.
briggfoot

Postby Leedsol » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:25 pm

Had my g-shock approaching 20 years now, still works like new, I've always sent to Casio for battery replacement (5 years or so). £55 when I got mine, good return
You're too deep Camel..its Indo not Margaret River
Leedsol

Postby Dantastic » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:21 pm

Ive got a Gshock and its mint, doesnt fit over my glove/wetsuit seam though so I use a littel £1 sports watch from Primark. Flexible rubber strap, fully water proof (been on about 20 surfs and done 3 weeks worth of snorkelling) loses about 5mins every 2-3 months.

Cracking buy and you can colour co ordinate with your suit/board. Boom!
Dantastic

Postby pod » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:52 pm

Crikey. Two distinct schools of thought emerging here then. I could jump either way.

Being an extremely indecisive person I'll probably just dither for another week or three and buy nothing. Or maybe my temptation to spend what could arguably be silly money on a plastic watch will wane as that time passes. (but I am still drawn to some of the shiny g-shocks ive been looking at).

All good info though, cheers.

Was the primark one something like one of those breo things they sell here on msw?

And i could be well tempted by the F91W just for that 80s styling that i used to covet as a kid.
pod

Postby Dantastic » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:28 pm

Yeah exactly like the breo but it worked. I had a breo for 10 days and it lost 10minutes. Took it back, bought 3 primark bad boys and they all work a treat. Had my purple one for about a year now.

I bought a fairly basic analogue g shock off amazon for £50. G100 I think?
Dantastic

Postby Microwebby » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:22 am

£9.99 casio for all the reasons Briggfoot mentioned above. I've had one for years, I don't wear a watch usually so leave it in the car so it's handy for surfs. Bombproof and goes under a wetsuit really nicely. Why pay more?
M
Microwebby

Postby pod » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:33 pm

Ok so I bought the £10 F91W and it's survived three surfs now. Impressive since it's not 200m, 100 or even 50m waterproof but basically just splashproof. Hope it keeps going. Cheers.
pod

Postby wigsy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:09 pm

Classic!
wigsy

Postby mountain man » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:35 am

I use one of these, not very waterproof but matches my eyes.
Attachments
img-thing.jpg
img-thing.jpg (18.84 KiB) Viewed 877 times
mountain man

Postby Paul C » Wed May 01, 2013 8:33 am

I think Fistral should have a large type town clock by the surf centre facing out to sea, that would save surfers wearing watches. :lol:
Paul C

Postby mountain man » Sun May 05, 2013 7:28 am

Paul C wrote:I think Fistral should have a large type clown clock by the surf centre facing out to sea, that would save surfers wearing watches. :lol:

Fixed it for ya.
mountain man

Rip Curl watches

Postby lukerips » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:13 am

I think Rip Curl r cutting more corners than Bbg, but I can understand that quality needs to be reduced as indicated in the share market. This watch made it JUST one week past it's 1yr warranty(very suss) then this happened. I am a proper surfer who wore this as a proper surfer would, so my belief is that RC only make products for "fashionable consumers". As Bbg would say "Only a consumer knows the feeling(patent pending)". Thank you for your co-operation. Sincerely yours, Luke Jones. Nixon seem pretty good but I've never owned one. If this site wasn't so neanderthalic then I could show u(tried upload but your site is too cheap, come on punters give these poor bastards mo' money, they sure need it as they sponnos arn't helping) how my watch has three crucial cracks on the band from the edge to the centre holes. A cheap Chinese import will last as long, hang on they are probably made in China anyway.
lukerips

Postby Chris F » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:16 pm

Dantastic wrote:Yeah exactly like the breo but it worked. I had a breo for 10 days and it lost 10minutes. Took it back, bought 3 primark bad boys and they all work a treat. Had my purple one for about a year now.

I got a handful of those free as handouts from a stand at the last offshore europe exhibition 2 years ago. Use them until they die, then use the next one. It's the next exhibition in September, which is good, my supplies are running low! Will see how many I can get my mitts on this time.
Chris F

Postby lewy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:42 pm

I got given a RC Cortez Tidemaster as a leaving present - 8 years on still keeps perfect time and is in pretty much perfect nick. The tide setting sometimes needs adjusting but its pretty accurate for the mainpart. One battery change too in all that time - dont like the new ones as much though they look really bulky.
lewy

Return to Wetsuits and gear