Any update on Finisterre wetsuit?

Got a question about this years best new wetsuit? Found an amazing new surf product? Post in here and let people know about it.

Any update on Finisterre wetsuit?

Postby defever » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:53 am

Hello rubberbandits,

I'm thinking about getting a new wetsuit, gearing more towards quicker drying suits (Flashbomb, the new top end C-Skins, and "dream-on" Patagucci).
But just remembered that Finisterre is in process of making their own wetsuit with the help of Malcom from Snugg.

I'm quite keen on what they will come up with and when they'll be available on the market.
Does anyone have recent news about Finisterre's wetsuit range? Technology, the material, expected sale date / price, etc.

Thank you.
defever

Re: Any update on Finisterre wetsuit?

Postby Leven » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:11 am

There was something on their website a while ago, and on their Facebook page too I believe.

Alternatively, buy this:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37803
Leven

Postby g_baby » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:42 am

Don't know whether this helps...
http://www.wavelengthmag.co.uk/guides/s ... e2013.html

But you've probably read it already.
---
Surf's Out There Somewhere.
g_baby

Postby defever » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:25 am

Thanks Leven, but I'm more size MS or S... otherwise I would've dived in. Does Patagonia wetsuit dry as quickly as Flashbomb? I hear the Merino lining is quick drying but how quick, I never have chance to see it.

And thanks g-baby for the link. I haven't seen it so it's quite useful, although the description is bit generic. But nice to read a small description of a range of brands. I've always been looking at Xcel, Rip Curl, C-Skins. I know nothing about Quiksilver or O'Neill.

How much has Finisterre got to its wetsuit project and what's its time line for customer production?

Noticed that Neil Erskine is wearing prototype? wettie on this clip The Strangest Thing (very nice video, one of my current favourites).
Looks very well made, probably comes with Patagonia price tag when it becomes available for us consumers....
defever

Postby Leven » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:04 pm

Don't get too excited about a super quick drying wetsuit with the Patagonia's! They do dry more quickly than a standard wettie, but it's not instantaneous! If anything, I'd say the merino holds more water when it's wet, but then dries quicker. They are super easy to put on wet though!

I know a couple of guys with the Flashbomb, and it's a bit of a gimmick....the lining on the inside is dryer, but not dry as they claim. The ends of the ankles and arms will still be wet, and if you run your hand over the lining, it'll come away moist. Again, it is dryer than a normal wettie though. They're not actually that warm either I've heard.

Pick the phone up to the guys at Finisterre and they'll be happy to have a chat, really good bunch of guys up there!
Leven

Postby defever » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:07 pm

Thanks Leven, so I guess it depends how tolerant you are with wet/damp wetsuits. But no, that's brilliant comment thanks for that. My friend just got a 4:3 Flashbomb and he was quite excited about it (wettie hype is contagious...) so I'll see how he gets on.

Just called up one of the people at Finisterre and yup nice guy. He said the suit is still in development stage, just trying out with surfers that they know closely. But "ROUGHLY" he said Finisterre will try to get the wetsuit in production in a year or so. They might start out with limited custom order via Snugg to try out, I guess to gain mass feedback from people who are willing to pay for it's products (rather than sponsors/ambassadors).

Sounds promising though.

With the weather we're getting and long term forecast not looking any better, I might save my money this year and invest on something next year.

Little birds tell me that in 2014 Patagonia is releasing their suit "100% (or near) flush-free" and new type of Merino lining with plant based neoprene. Wetsuit industry is like a computer market: every year the development of the specs are massive!
defever

Postby Archy_is_God » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:04 am

If my wettie is wet and it's cold outside, I just throw the warm contents of a hot water bottle into it before pulling it on :)
Archy_is_God

Postby defever » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:33 am

I did that trick last weekend, great magic as the plastic bag trick. Bought a flask and asked a chap at supermarket cafe to fill it with hot water.

I nearly scalded myself when I trickled a bit of that water down the sleeve and put my arm through. Should've gone for a LUKE WARM water not BOILING HOT. It was cold... I didn't think it through...

But sometimes when I'm away for few days, I wouldn't be able to have a luxury access to hot water. Quicker drying suit might help in this occasion?
defever

Postby Dantastic » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:12 pm

Get 2 suits, can go for two sessions both in dry suits, one dries while the other is in use. Also your suits last longer due to being worn for half the time. Expensive to start with but when your sat by the beach in the van with one sopping suit from the morning session in a dry suit you feel like you've made it in life...
Dantastic

Postby briggfoot » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:36 pm

Dantastic wrote:Get 2 suits, can go for two sessions both in dry suits, one dries while the other is in use. Also your suits last longer due to being worn for half the time. Expensive to start with but when your sat by the beach in the van with one sopping suit from the morning session in a dry suit you feel like you've made it in life...

^^^This 100%. The days of putting on a soggy wetsuit are gone. Reckon a 2nd set of gloves & boots would really seal the deal to make you feel like a champion...
briggfoot

Postby Dantastic » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:35 pm

briggfoot wrote:
Dantastic wrote:Get 2 suits, can go for two sessions both in dry suits, one dries while the other is in use. Also your suits last longer due to being worn for half the time. Expensive to start with but when your sat by the beach in the van with one sopping suit from the morning session in a dry suit you feel like you've made it in life...

^^^This 100%. The days of putting on a soggy wetsuit are gone. Reckon a 2nd set of gloves & boots would really seal the deal to make you feel like a champion...

Id not thought of that. Cracking idea...
Dantastic

Postby Black » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:28 pm

defever wrote:I nearly scalded myself when I trickled a bit of that water down the sleeve and put my arm through. Should've gone for a LUKE WARM water not BOILING HOT.

You'll only do that the one time! :wink:
Stuck my foot in a red hot boot once - yeooowww!!!
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby defever » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:15 pm

You're right Dan and Brigg, if I had the money I'd have 2x winter and 2x summer wetties. But I don't go in enough to justify that. I'm confined to being a weekend surfer most of the year but when I have a week or two off from work, away from my base (sleeping in my tent/car), that's when I really want another suit.

May be a warm-ish 4/3mm suit to cover most of the year. And one of those air-dry hanger (NOT).

Black, I don't seem to have a common sense. Things we endure to catch a surf in cold cold winter...

Thanks all for the tips, turning out to be a useful thread!
defever

Return to Wetsuits and gear