rate or hate: Gul wetsuits

Got a question about this years best new wetsuit? Found an amazing new surf product? Post in here and let people know about it.

rate or hate: Gul wetsuits

Postby mrmuch » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:37 pm

Any views guys?
Back in the day I loved them but as things progressed they seemed to fall behind on the flexability side of things, they were a bit heavy on the arms. 20years on, times are hard but I've seen a good deal on a gul venom 3:2 gbs, the spec seems to tick all the boxes, all the same hype as the big brands about seam technologies etc etc
Any of you guys recommend a Gul suit these days?
I've been in a top end rhino for four years now and liked it very much, not as flexi as an oneil but pretty much bang on.
Cheers !
mrmuch

Re: rate or hate: Gul wetsuits

Postby Dantastic » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:53 pm

Hi mate.

I bought a cheap gul response 5/3 2 years ago. Its had a fair bit of use and has held up well to be fair. The back zip is starting to leak a bit but i think that's ok on a 2 year old suit. Its been pretty warm and durable but probably not the most flexible. However for £80 id have another if I was looking at that range.

Dan
Dantastic

Postby Chris F » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:33 am

I've got a 5:3 Gul suit I've used intermittently since 2002. It's nowhere near as warm as it was, but still watertight and fine for summer use. I've heard quality has gone down since then though.
Chris F

Postby slipslide » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:42 pm

Got a gul vortex cheap a while ago, i really like it. warm held up well. all good. No idea if the quality changed when they had the managment buy out though.
slipslide

Postby mrmuch » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:25 pm

Cheers guys,
Ordered one but then it turns out they are out of stock so no joy.........
mrmuch

Postby surferireland » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:51 am

Have a summer 3/2 viper fullsuit got for £99 2 yrs ago, very light flexy and so far doing well, on par with oneill and ripcurl I would say,
surferireland

Postby gavtheoldskater » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:28 am

i bought a 4/3 retro steamer back in may, its a lovely looking suit., incredibly warm and solidly built. decent suit.

for sale though if anyone wants one cheap, hardly used, just can't get on with a back zip and its a tiny bit too big for me.
a world of waves and a world of ways to ride them!
gavtheoldskater

Postby EvilSpike » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:39 am

I like the fit of them, I seem to be and exact medium size of theirs. What I've never been keen on is there over use of velcro, and the way they position each type so you can't vlecro the velcro to it'self, IYSWIM. I end up with the hook part of the velcro constantly catching the inside of the suit and making a mess of it.

My C-skins suit has for the main closure flap hook velcro, and just below the tab lop vlecro for the bit that stops the zip from coming undone. It means you can fold the tab back on itself and the main flap dosen't go ruinng the inside of your suit. A simple thing indeed but means a suit doesn't look shabby after only a few sessions...
EvilSpike

Return to Wetsuits and gear