At what point do you use your wetsuit warranty?

Got a question about this years best new wetsuit? Found an amazing new surf product? Post in here and let people know about it.

At what point do you use your wetsuit warranty?

Postby defever » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:38 pm

Hello weeders,

I have a brand new winter wetsuit (a brand's top of the range, spent £260 at bargain price) which I bought last October. Since then I've been in water probably 2x week, 2hrs each session. This is overall average so sometimes I'd be in everyday for a week, sometimes just once or twice a month.

I look after my suit properly, as advised on the wetsuit. I use the garden bucket to get out of the suit, I don't stomp it. I rinse it 2x with fresh water at the earliest opportunity post-surf (from 10min to 1hr). Once in a while I dunk it in freshwater with VERY light detergent (as instructed on the suit...) 10min or so. And rinse it with freshwater again. I hung dry folded at the waist and flip it inside out after overnight of hand drying. I think I'm doing the right things, or am I not?

It's now June (8months later and I'm still using this winter wetsuit, seriously what is wrong with the weather...), and the wetsuit is starting to show some blemishing.

- The rubber tapes of the knee pads on the inside is peeling off like an inch or so and flapping about. Both knees. They will easily peal of if lightly pulled.
- The neck collar stitchings are still intact but can definitely see that the neoprene are stretched around the stitching and letting water in. Not gushing though.
- Liquid taping glue is "leaking"? throughout the suit, especially the inside. What I mean by leaking is that I can see the outline of where the glue was applied initially along the stitching and liquid taping. This is probably due to the neoprene being stretched out of the place.
- No nicks or holes, but loose threads there and there, especially around the chest zip entry.

I understand that I've been using this wetsuit for 8 months, which is probably nearing to 2x seasons worth of usage? I'm not so sure if this is what I should expect as inevitable "wear and tear" or something I should contact the company... Compared to the budget winter suit (could hardly move in it...) the deterioration is noticeable.

Another point that's making me hesitant to contact the company is what are they going to do about it? Will they send it for repair (and how would they repair it)? Surely they won't give me a new wetsuit are they?!

What do yo think?

I'm prepared to be told off that I'm being picky. It's been bugging me for a while so I'm ready to be put into shame. But what if I'm not?
defever

Re: At what point do you use your wetsuit warranty?

Postby Philshoz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:52 am

Built in obsolescence. :roll:

The companies are using us for R n D and making improvements based on the copious returns they are getting.

Are you on a wetty mission Defever?
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby JayP » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:52 am

Send it back! If they are feeling nice you probably will get a new suit. If not you'll get this one repaired. Its under a year old so it should be made to last a year - thats the simple fact of it. How much you've used it is irrelevant during the first year in my opinion. If they can't make a stretchy suit that lasts a year its their problem. If nothing else comes of it you will see what the after sales service is like and that may well determine how you approach their product in future.
JayP

Postby defever » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:15 am

Few pictures...

Just an ordinary "wear & tear" expected from used wetsuit? Or something to pursue?
defever

Postby defever » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:26 am

Philshoz wrote: Are you on a wetty mission Defever?

I think I am. I'm thankful for it to keep me warm in the cold days though.
defever

Postby Black » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:53 am

Those pictures make it look quite bad, actually looks poorly made. Just looked at my winter suit of a similar age and it has none of those issues. Take it back to where you bought it and see what they say?
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby defever » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:39 am

Soooo... the suit is going for a trip to the shop I bought from then.

Checked my receipt and there's something strange. I bought it from online company which is "registered" in Cornwall, but the address on the invoice is the same address to the well known warehouse in Boscombe. I went to the wetsuit company's website to check if this online shop (I don't know if they have a physical shop) is registered as the dealer. No. But another well known shop (both physical and online) in Boscombe, which is one of the wettie's dealer, has the same warehouse address as the one I bought from...

This seems like it can get complicated than I first thought. These retailers seem to stock their items from the same warehouse but selling them under three different company names. One of the names is well know to pretty much every water-sports enthusiasts, I believe.

I have a feeling someone may have been in the similar situation as I am in at the moment.
defever

Postby Leven » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:54 am

What you're talking about is the Sales of Goods Act, as I've recently learnt! Have a look at this thread. That's also an Xcel if I'm not mistaken? I'm pretty sure they'll just repair it for you, no worries.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38712
Leven

Postby defever » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:42 am

Thanks Leven! I'm not so sure if I'm in the same situation or not, I used my suit all through the season and it's been 8 months since I bought so I don't know if I can use the Act as my ground.

It's not Xcel but another brand that's up there competing with Xcel and other top brands. I think I'll give the retailer a ring and see what they say.
defever

Postby Leven » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:19 am

It should be simple. If it's inside the warranty, and it's faulty, it's faulty! Be interested to see how you get on!
Leven

Postby Black » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:15 pm

Leven wrote:It should be simple. If it's inside the warranty, and it's faulty, it's faulty! Be interested to see how you get on!

Me too, not sure I'd bother or not tbh, if I'd bought good suits of that make before I'd think twice maybe thinking its a dud or they've changed supplier & just not bother buying again.
Black

Postby defever » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:08 pm

Still undecided on this...

I have another winter suit (low-mid range) of a similar age from the season before, but that doesn't nowhere near this suit's deterioration. But it's not like the suit has lost the whole knee pad or "fell apart". Just handful of "minor"? blemishing but enough to consider if I should speak about it or not.

I don't want to approach the shop in half-measures like "err, I'm not sure I should return this or not but I think the suit might need a repair or replacement?"...

But then again the knee tapes and the ankle look bad enough... haaa.
defever

Postby Leven » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:56 am

Worst they can say is no....
Leven

Postby defever » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:07 pm

Well, I went for a surf today with it (it was too hot) and when I was getting out of the suit, the tapings on the knee pad peeled off like a banana skin.

Now I'm convinced that I can take an action.

It's definitely not " ABUSE, FIN DAMAGE AND ANY OTHER IMPACT RELATED DAMAGE" which is allegedly "NOT COVERED BY" this wetsuit's "WARRANTY". I'll give the company I bought from a ring tomorrow.

But another thing is that the online company I bought from isn't a registered "distributor" of this wetsuit company. BUT the invoice has the contact detail of another well known shop which is a registered "distributor". I think this can complicate my warranty claim.

See how it goes.
defever

Postby Black » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:06 pm

Your contract is with the company you bought from, its up to them to pursue other lines of recompense.
Black

Postby defever » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:10 am

Little update on this...

I finally got my $h!7 together and went to the surf shop yesterday. I wrote a brief letter explaining what's gone wrong etc. And the shop guy had a quick look at it. He picked up more blemishing than I did and he said the condition of the suit is something that he would see on a 2-3 seasons old suit...!

So he kindly explained to me that he'd send the suit back to the manufacturer and they'll get back to him within 4 weeks about their decision. He was quite certain that I will either get a repaired suit (he told me the manufacturer will simply replace the worn parts with brand new parts, not just patching up here and there. IF it's economically viable for them to do so), will receive a brand new suit, or receive a "credit" and I get to choose another suit from the shop.

So what ever the decision is, I'm going to come out with a reconditioned / new wetsuit... too good to be true?

But I'm happy that I finally took it to the shop and spoke to the staff. He was a nice guy.

Name and praise to follow soon I think.
defever

Postby Black » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:00 am

Well done that's excellent news. The shop guy agreed it was poor condition which is always a worry but from your photos it did look pretty bad. That's what you call a result!
Black

Postby defever » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:38 pm

Black wrote:The shop guy agreed it was poor condition

...why is that? Am I being dull or is it quite obvious that it's a worry?

Haven't heard anything yet but it's only been a week.
defever

Postby defever » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:14 pm

So I got the suit back today! Exactly three weeks since I the day I handed over the suit to the shop.

Still the same original suit but repaired on the places I mentioned and more. Probably lots of blackwitch / neoprene cement and more threads. But it looks like a clean job, I can't complain. I was slightly getting a false hope that I would get a replacement suit or even get a credit to get another suit, but I guess it's good as new.

The warranty runs out on the end of Sept so I don't think I'll have the opportunity to test it out to see if the mends are as good as they look.

Hey ho, I got it for a bargain price anyway so if it lasts another season, I'm happy.

On time service, DPD delivery (so perfect, they text you the day before, on the day, and will tell you which HOUR the driver will deliver the item to me), nice guy at the shop, worth waiting three weeks to have my suit back looking better than how if was when I last saw it.

The shop is Sorted Surf Shop at Bournemouth, by the way. Same guys as the Wetsuit Centre and some might know online shop called Freak Fish Surf. Deano, the guy I spoke to at the shop was good too.

Named and praised, thank you Deano.
defever

Postby LettyLocke » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:20 pm

Sometimes, some people get very lucky. :D
LettyLocke

Return to Wetsuits and gear