Xcel seams look fine, leak like buggery?

Got a question about this years best new wetsuit? Found an amazing new surf product? Post in here and let people know about it.

Xcel seams look fine, leak like buggery?

Postby skin » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:26 pm

First things first, I think Xcel suits are brilliant. I have an old infiniti which has lasted for over 4 years now and is still going (No seam leakage).

However I brought a top of the range hooded 2012 Drylock a couple of years ago and for some reason it's leaking badly in the crotch area. The seam tape is in very good condition not pealing away or anything but water is still seeping in. Anyone else experienced this? I can't fathom it to be honest as my old infiniti doesn't leak. It's getting to the extent that it's unusable in the winter (north sea) which is annoying as the suit is in great condition other wise.

It's obviously out of warranty and I've heard all kinds of 'liquid seam' ideas but I'm not convinced any of them will last. Anyone know of a wetsuit repair service who might be able to sort it out?

Cheers
skin

Re: Xcel seams look fine, leak like buggery?

Postby ATTMFKH » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:21 pm

are you sure it's the seams. Wetsuits crease in the bollock region and the neoprene compresses and goes thinner............... might be that.
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby skin » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:43 pm

Just checked again, but the neoprene seem to be fine, no thinning.

It's got the wider green (bamboo) tape in the crotch and the legs so I'm wondering if it's got something to do with that not sealing the stitches so well.

Very annoying. A perfectly good suit, near enough ruined by a few pin prick holes in the crotch. I'm going to have to try and repair it as it's no good as a winter suit in the north sea. Does any repair service offer seam sealing of any kind?
skin

Postby Chris F » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:59 pm

Neoprene breaking down due to acid wee :lol:
Chris F

Postby prjwebb » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:01 pm

Bit far, but Bodyline in Newquay do excellent repair work.
prjwebb

Return to Wetsuits and gear