Finisterre wetsuit - Initial thoughts....

Got a question about this years best new wetsuit? Found an amazing new surf product? Post in here and let people know about it.

Re: Finisterre wetsuit - Initial thoughts....

Postby Chrisisted » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:54 pm

Jory I have to agree with most of what you have written. Although my suit wasn't free I agree that it is a fantastic suit. Very warm & flexible in the shoulders. I too have a 'pea' head & find the hood a bit large. I thought at first it might be down to it being the first hooded wetsuit that I've had however I'm glad that you have experienced the same!
Very good suit
Chrisisted

Postby Leven » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:14 pm

Yep, I'd echo all of that. Incredibly warm, but doesn't seem to be too heavy. Probably as warm as my old Xcel 5mm which I overheat in, but the Finisterre suit is more flexible/lighter too.
Leven

Postby ATTMFKH » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:39 pm

retailing for how much ?
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Jory » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:15 am

Not sure yet.

It won't be cheap as its s top of the line suit. I think the plan is to only sell direct from them and so be able to keep it cheaper than a similar spec Patagonia or xcel. They aren't out to buy until next winter
Jory

Postby Pterodroma » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:28 pm

ATTMFKH wrote:retailing for how much ?

From the company that will sell you a fin key for £15...

£600+ I reckon.
Pterodroma

Postby Jory » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:58 pm

Not as expensive as that, sorry I can't remember exactly what tom said they were aiming at but it wasn't silly money
Jory

Postby Black » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:17 pm

Obviously the hood is too large because its designed for surfers with beards - but maybe that is their market? :dontknow:

I think the price point is going to be the key. What stops others copying? They've shot themselves in the foot by publicising before the product is available surely? They will be relying on loyalty but how can you be loyal if someone also has a similar product?
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Jory » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:34 pm

I'm not sure there's anything completely revolutionary in there, just a lot of nicely thought out touches. It's made at sheiko (spelling?!) factory that make xcel, tiki and others so it's not a completely proprietary neonprene as far as i know.

It's in my top two winter suits ever along with the nineplus hasu hooded 4mm. I would buy one (with the hood tweaked)

I think the reason for the roll out is to get some large scale real world feedback before committing themselves to big orders and without having to completely fund a huge test program. I'm guessing here but I know patagonia got caught out for mega bucks with their first generation of suits because they had only tested on a small scale and the first generation of suits didn't hold up to use for lots of people which led to lots of costly returns and replacements

My beard is obviously too trimmed for it!

(I now know the hood is definitely getting tweaked for launch)
Jory

Postby Black » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:58 pm

You are a disarmingly honest man and I salute you for that!
You'd think the wetsuit would be "done" by 2015 but its still not "right" and Finistere think they can do it better. I think they can too because its gone backwards a bit recently and it takes intelligence not spin to make a wetsuit. How they can make money out of it is beyond me though!!
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Leven » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:57 pm

They'll make a slightly better margin as there's no retailer involved, but I'd guess the suits would be more expensive to produce (shorter production run than the likes of Xcel, and what feels like better neoprene).

I reckon they've got the testing spot on. Give it to your customer base, get some honest feedback, and then go and improve it. If only more companies did this....
Leven

Postby Philshoz » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:45 am

Looking forward to seeing/trying this new offering, sounds good.

Disappointed they didn't offer me one, I live in Finistere after all.... :roll:
Philshoz

Postby Chris F » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:27 am

Anyone know who else is testing? I know Jason at Jay Surfboards in East Lothian has one.
Chris F

Postby Leedsol » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:25 pm

Couple of lads in Scarbs have one too so it will get a proper cold water testing. Looks solid on what I've seen.

Some of their clothes of late have been frankly shocking design wise and ridiculously overpriced and I've told them as such in the questionnaire they sent out. Almost day glo ffs which goes against the last forever ethos as once you add styling, panel colours your building in obsolescence.

That said the merino eddy tees in conservative colours are sublime
You're too deep Camel..its Indo not Margaret River
Leedsol

Postby zboy » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:30 pm

a lad living in clare originally from cornwall matt smith sponsored surfer was selling a finisterre wetsuit for 35 euros !! had a look at it first thoughts snugg with finisterre name on it. i think it was a prototype.but 35 yoyos to big for me m/s was the size
zboy

Postby danny1 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:26 am

I got on the test programme. Just sent them an email saying I was east coast ... But didn't want to go thru with it for £175

Mainly as I dint like their atmosphere

It's another kings clothes thing

All the usual lot will have one...

No offence joy but you can't start reviewing a wet tie properly till you've had a year in it... How can you say 2nd best suit ever? You are just going on fit....
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby Jory » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:37 am

I think they had some prototypes made by snugg originally.

Danny, at the risk of responding to a troll, the thread is titled "initial thoughts" not "thoroughly tested for a year"...

So my INITIAL thoughts are that I am impressed and for a months use (and remember we've had a decent run of waves), it still looks brand new and it is as good a winter suit as the nineplus hasu I've used for the last two winters. It is warm, flexible to paddle in, well sealed and a well made suit so far. Along with the nineplus it has impressed me more "initially" than the rip curl, snugg, xcel, tiki, etc suits I have had previously in terms of flexibility for paddling, not feeling like a thick winter suit and warmth.

I'm not going on fit, as I noted, the fit as it currently stands isn't perfect in the hood - not as good as other suits I have had.

This is going to be changed.

When I and others have had the suit for a year then no doubt we will be able to tell you about longevity and I may revise my opinion.

I didnt pay for my suit but I think you would find that anyone who did would have been very happy with the value they got for £175
Jory

Postby Archy_is_God » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:43 pm

Bet you the hood will still be too tight on my giant sweed....
Archy_is_God

Postby zboy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:11 am

is this about getting a FREE wetsuit and any hows why would they give a long boarder a free wetsuit?? :shock: :lol: ,when i saw the suit that this individual had( Mat Smith) his brother is the film maker/body boarder he said it had been in the loft for a while,the time i was there was January 2015 my question is why ? he spends about as much time in the water as a dolphin.
my thought is to much like a snugg suit ie, if you like flex look else where and then you are looking at brand names,because neoprene is way more flexi which makes a huge difference and because they get free ones durability is not an issue, so 6 mouths and they get a free summer one ect.Now ive nothing against snugg suits i had one yrs ago just not for me its my opinion right or wrong.
zboy

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:12 am

Snugg = Yamamoto

Finisterre = Sheico

No Limit have always used Sheico as well and will make a custom suit for you for the about the same cost as an O'Neill Psycho.... worth a thought if you are in the market for buying a new suit.

People like to knock Finisterre and their latest marketing push in the surf media kinda grates a bit (but who reads magazines now anyway?), but they have a great approach to designing stuff and will fix things for you to make them last even longer than would normally (which is longer than other stuff anyway, I my experience). If they can commit to keeping their suits together for customers when they get worn, that would be great :)
Archy_is_God

Postby Leedsol » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:34 pm

Funny actually. Same argument that people raise about Finisterre is also going on in cycling as per this http://road.cc/content/blog/79326-vulpi ... ghts-value comments are good.

i like the comment about yeah vulpine might be contrived but people desire the style and may prioritise that over something else people prefer. The comment suggested if people say what a knob for buying vulpine ( or finisterre in this case or rapha) then ask them what they spend their money on. Probably a shitload of boards or bikes or some such other twattery (maybe the experience of getting pissed or high) that they can't do justice too.

Me I've got one bonzer here and one in Portugal and with a fish that's it. I prefer spending a bit on threads to see mates in Manchester or gig 'cos I'm a fucking stylish geezer.

The cycling/city aesthetic differs to surf/skate mind 'cos the latter is fucking shocking style wise and for me its good that Finisterre and bringing surfers away from looking like day glo acid house casualties tho £240 for a kagoule is mind blowingly bonkers.
Leedsol

Postby johnjohn » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:06 pm

Leedsol wrote:Same argument... also going on in cycling [edit] The cycling/city aesthetic [edit edit edit] I prefer spending a bit on threads to see mates in Manchester or gig 'cos I'm a fucking stylish geezer...

here you go sean:
some out there copywriter wrote:Floral Finn $330.00
The vibrant floral features are only a small part of this piece of art, with teal and green leaves on a black backdrop creating a sense of risky elegance. The Finn Sheep is well-known for it’s broad hind quarters and it’s exceptional fertility. What a man!
http://www.blacksheepcycling.cc/store/p ... _Finn.html

Steering vaguely back to topic, you can pick up Finisterre stuff for good prices from their outlet site:

http://www.finisterreoutlet.com/products

They're nice to buy off too. I'll look out for their wetties, having worn nowt bar xcel for a long long time. But I can't help think though that if you're not overheating in a wettie in the SW it'll not be hot enough for the NE, but let's see...
johnjohn

Postby Leedsol » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:17 pm

Fucking hell John you're spending far too much time on the dark net if you're uncovering shit like that.
Leedsol

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:53 pm

I'm quite fond of the dayglo acid house look myself. Not the surfy type, the authentic dayglo acid type.
Archy_is_God

Postby danny1 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:05 pm

Hey Jory didn't mean to troll

My bad didn't spot the "initial " part of title...
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby mister-griffster » Sun May 31, 2015 2:18 pm

It's great to see Finisterre come up with a product like this, but side-stepping the marketing and price for a while it would be nice to get down to the nitty gritty of the suit. I'd be keen to pre-order on one of these but the dearth of technical information means that they've either not settled on a supply / construction chain or keeping things under wraps.

It's good to know they're sheico - is that a fact or a guess? While most manufacturers these days use sheico it's surprisng that they've gone with a less durable and warm neoprene. I would have thought a limestone 'geoprene' may have been more in keeping with company ethos and performance. Sheico is cool and stretchy but sucks in durability as any majorly stretchy garment would - most top out at 2 years.

Also, what are the lining materials made of? Again, 2 types of lining huck will reduce the stretch but adding much needed warmth. It isn't difficult getting more stretchy arms by going thinner and unlined, but what about the rest of the suit?

I'm also intruiged by the claims of the unique neck entry? from afar it seems the same as any other suit, and while the panel lay-ups are apparently tailored there seems to be little difference to a Snugg suit.

I think by going taped double stitched is cool, again standard on a Snugg suit and more easily repaired than other types even if less stretchy.

Don't get me wrong I thing it's a great product idea, but until there's some firm answers on tech and why they have chosen that route is be reluctant to pre-order.

One final grumble, the size charts seem a little basic - so be good to have more in depth figures there too
mister-griffster

Postby Jory » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:51 pm

so i dont know the answers to most of that!

I can tell you that the things i griped about are being changed on the production suits and that the rrp is £390 for a hooded 5mm and i think £360 for the 4mm.

overall in the testing program, the feedback was universally excellent. There were some minor durability issues with the ends of stitching and some taping and zips. These are being addressed before production. the hood is being changed also

They are sheico as far as i know, thats what i was told and my mate who is tiki's suit designer confirmed the test suit was sheico neoprene. Apparently sheico have a number of different types of neoprene available that can be specced by whoevers buying.

the whole of the inside of the suit has the velcro-ish lining including the arms, except the chest and back panel which are a flatter lining thats supposed to be warmer. It is a superbly warm suit and great to paddle in. mine still looks pretty much brand new after pretty hard use.

the neck entry doesnt seem wildly different to other chest zip suits ive had but it is easy enough to get in and out of and i have had very little flushing through that area.

i would assume there will be loads more info when the suit is officially launched towards the end of the year
Jory

Postby Leven » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:28 pm

Yeah, I'd echo what Jory says.

It is Sheico neoprene, but feels different to my Xcel. Feels thicker and a little more robust/sturdy.

It's a really good suit. There's an extra 1mm of neoprene on the back panel over the kidneys. I've never noticed having cold kidneys before, but in the Finisterre suit they feel warmer than everywhere else. Got to keep you in the water longer. Funnily enough, I was expecting that to make it a touch harder to paddle in, but you don't notice it, only the warmth.

When they release for pre order, I imagine they'll go into detail about materials used, size charts etc.

It'll be priced at a high end suit, but I reckon that's where it should be, they're great suits. I imagine there'll be a decent warranty, and you'd be supporting a British company too, so what's not to like?

So yeah, for me, it's a warm, seemingly durable suit, that is still easy enough to paddle in.
Leven

Postby usedtobe69 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:34 am

I spoke to someone who tested one and he wasn't overly impressed at all, just another suit from a giant wetsuit factory was the impression I got, but with some quirks that should've been ironed out.
Give them a few seasons to catch up and they'll probably be right up there. Still generic though, sheico made suits are all one season suits regardless of the logo on them.
usedtobe69

Next

Return to Wetsuits and gear