Finisterre wetsuit - Initial thoughts....

Got a question about this years best new wetsuit? Found an amazing new surf product? Post in here and let people know about it.

Re: Finisterre wetsuit - Initial thoughts....

Postby mister-griffster » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:40 pm

So I understand from Finisterre that they'll have some tech specs on their site soon, hoping the size charts are detailed too - makes so much difference when ordering an off the peg suit.

I'd certainly be interested in pre-ordering although reluctant with details up in the air. Glad to hear it's a poly lining as I have an irritation to wool and it gets so bloody heavy when wet. Patagonia seem to be extending the use of poly in their suits these days too.

Will be good to see some shots of the first real production models to see how the seam patterns / closures etc are finally laid out. I'm personally not too sure about the calf strap mind you, seems a likely place of weakness for me, but then I,ve never struggled getting a suit over my calves - maybe one on he inside tho to get the suit off (or a convenient shoe horn) may be handy.

I think price point seams fair to me if it lasts 3+ years - it's in the range of other top suits.

Being honest, I don't really care that it's a British company - *awaits sharp intake or breath* - I mean I love that Brits have come up with the concept, inventive as ever, but materials will be manufactured in the Far East and probably assembled there too. If I want to support British industry then there's only one true way to do that in the wetsuit market and that's to go bespoke as then at least you're putting money directly in the pocket of the tailors.

Will certainly be keenly following finisterre's development tho and wish them the very best.

Finally, as they are only doing 2 thicknesses and are being reported as warm, will the 4mm be suffient for the depths of British winter? or likely to be 4mm for SW but 6mm for north of the Watford gap?
mister-griffster

Postby Leven » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:06 pm

They've not actually specified whether it's a 5/4/3, or a 4/3, just listed them as 5mm and 4mm. You won't need more than the 4mm in the SW, with the 5mm aimed at the NE/Scotland etc.

The loop on the calf isn't to get it over you calf! It's to get a cold, wet wetsuit over your heels. I think the aim is to stop people putting their heel through the calf of a suit putting it on. Don't think they've had any issues with them, but I'm not convinced....seems like by pulling it too hard/often it could have the same effect! Bit like pulling on your boots with the tab and ripping the heel off!
Leven

Postby Archy_is_God » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:58 am

Leven wrote:seems like by pulling it too hard/often it could have the same effect!

:jerk: :happy4:
Archy_is_God

Postby GB Benny » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:44 pm

Has anyone put an order in for a winter suit yet? Tempted to try one out this season. Are they doing the full range of summer suits and accessories too?
GB Benny

Postby Jory » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:20 am

no firm plans for summer suits or accessories as yet when i spoke to Tom a month or so ago although i think the summer suits are a possibility in the future
Jory

Postby browncurtains » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:35 pm

got to trawl this one up having just seen the front page advert... smiled to just see one of their main poster fella's is a once forum dweller fellow inland lurker surfer... :)

funny old business this surfing game.....power of photography and some savy social media is so strong now
read the feature? good for them.. but also made me smile...

Be interesting to see how many suits make it out into the line up this season on the right side of the country... & proof will be in the pudding in 2 seasons time.

TBH I would buy one if i could afford one . But need to get another season of abuse out me current suit so will 'pie up' as the colder months approach.

So some longer term reviews would be welcome as well as some 10 sessions in thoughts on this years model...
For those too cash strapped to afford the full suit , kidney belts are still available as they have always been from Joe @slink , malc @snugg and greg @nolimits
browncurtains

Postby Leven » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:24 am

My test suit is well over 10 sessions in now....

It's been surfed in the second half of last winter, and then spear fished in most of the summer. Still looks/feels great. Seams all intact, no leaking etc. Had one repair/patch put on the stress bit on the inside of the chest panel, but that's more to it not being quite long enough for me than anything. Conversely, my Xcel 4mm that I used the first half of last winter is absolutely shot. Been back for repairs twice, and all the seams leak now too.

The suit in the feature looks a little different too, so be interested to see what it's like....
Leven

Postby browncurtains » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:28 pm

Conversely, my Xcel 4mm

you got a 4mm then? - - be interested how its still holding up this feb after 2 hours into a session and on a frosty damp dawn.. (damp wetsuit)

any 5mm owners out there who want to drip feed some insight.... ?
or is it all south west feedback......
elasticated hood cords and tree root snagging point pull on tabs for point decents........ don't feel like feedback of the east .... ;)
browncurtains

Postby Leven » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:11 pm

browncurtains wrote:
Conversely, my Xcel 4mm

you got a 4mm then? - - be interested how its still holding up this feb after 2 hours into a session and on a frosty damp dawn.. (damp wetsuit)

any 5mm owners out there who want to drip feed some insight.... ?
or is it all south west feedback......
elasticated hood cords and tree root snagging point pull on tabs for point decents........ don't feel like feedback of the east .... ;)

To be honest, I think it'll be fine. I've thrashed it pretty hard over the second half of last winter, then speared in it all summer. Still looks fine, no leaks etc. Waaaaayy better than the Xcel in terms of lasting. Just been surfing in it up t'North too, and been toasty.

Interestingly, the 4mm is actually 4.5mm/3.5mm, with an additional of 3mm over the kidneys. The 5mm is actually a mix of 6.5mm/4.5mm with the same. 4mm rated for water temps of 9-14 C, and I reckon it'll cover that no worries.

Got one of the final ones now too, which replaces my Xcel, so going to be a two suit Charlie this winter!
Leven

Postby DTP » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:12 pm

Starting to get cold now - any reports on how the suits are doing?
DTP

Postby Leven » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:19 pm

Still on last Winters test suit, and it's in great nick. Toasty too.
Leven

Postby yellowmal » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:53 am

I bought one just before Xmas, the suit is really nicely put together, neoprene nice and flexy, was too warm over the mild Xmas period!

Now the weather has cooled down a bit and after a few more sessions in the suit, I've noticed I'm getting water coming in the hood after a duck dive, also the odd flush coming in through the zip area.
Having a bit of a play with the drawstrings to try and sort out, didn't experience this with the old Xcels with the elasticated hoods.
yellowmal

Postby Ozric » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:27 pm

still wearing the tester 5mm hooded suit.
Personally feel its way better than the Excel in terms of fit and warmth.
some threads coming loose, but overall very nice.
Even managed to get a system for getting the suit off over my feet in under half an hour........very tight still.
Ozric

Postby ATTMFKH » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:25 pm

^^ alright Al - any hints on getting XCcel crab claw mitts on & off - bought a pair to replace lost gloves and punched myself in the stomach, nuts & ear at the weekend getting the f*ckers on never mind off - size XL. Was trying to stretch them last night in front of fire, got them stuck on my hands again , raging about the living room - think their sizing is wrong.
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Leven » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:30 pm

ATTMFKH wrote:^^ alright Al - any hints on getting XCcel crab claw mitts on & off - bought a pair to replace lost gloves and punched myself in the stomach, nuts & ear at the weekend getting the f*ckers on never mind off - size XL. Was trying to stretch them last night in front of fire, got them stuck on my hands again , raging about the living room - think their sizing is wrong.

:lol: :lol: :lol: A couple of years ago I bought a suit online, and tried it on in the living room when it arrived. Couldn't get the thing off, and had to go and knock next door for some assistance....!

Ozric wrote:still wearing the tester 5mm hooded suit.
Personally feel its way better than the Excel in terms of fit and warmth.
some threads coming loose, but overall very nice.
Even managed to get a system for getting the suit off over my feet in under half an hour........very tight still.

I spoke to them about this....apparently the test suit was based on Tom who has exceptionally thin ankles!
Leven

Postby Burler » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:28 pm

ATTMFKH wrote:^^ alright Al - any hints on getting XCcel crab claw mitts on & off - bought a pair to replace lost gloves and punched myself in the stomach, nuts & ear at the weekend getting the f*ckers on never mind off - size XL. Was trying to stretch them last night in front of fire, got them stuck on my hands again , raging about the living room - think their sizing is wrong.

So you are an XL in gloves and an XL L in wetsuits. There is no way I am getting on the wrong side of you! :shock: :lol:
Burler

Postby ATTMFKH » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:32 pm

Burler wrote:

So you are an XL in gloves and an XL L in wetsuits. There is no way I am getting on the wrong side of you! :shock: :lol:

I'd go for your ankle first Burler :lol: :lol: How's the recovery / physio
ATTMFKH

Postby future primitive » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:05 pm

Yeah a bit tricky first few times,you get used to using your forefinger and thumb,they seem bit of a ballache at first,but I don't notice now,first time I've not worn fully fingered gloves since i started surfing when i had a pair of Alder webbed gloves
future primitive

Postby Burler » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:12 pm

ATTMFKH wrote:
Burler wrote:

I'd go for your ankle first Burler :lol: :lol: How's the recovery / physio

Aye terminator leg is coming along OK. Managed to get out for half a dozen surfs so far, not touching the skateboard for at least another month if ever again!

I was going to write up my experience because I know for a fact i searched the net looking for people in my situation for advice. Will do it eventually

Essentially, the cold water and compression of the booties seem to do it good and I was fine after a good 3 hour session, getting a wave after 4 months off is a blast! I'm on to doing plyometrics now but struggling to get the explosive power out of my ankle, the swelling around the talus is restricting it's movement and means I cant jump as well on one leg as I can on the other but it is improving. Physio guy says he's very impressed with the results so far.

Picking up a new Squad board of Steve at Northern Dawn surfboards tomorrow, hoping to get out on Sunday for a little session on it. Can't frickin wait! Some serious swell hitting way up norf in the coming days, you gonna be gettin on it?
Burler

Postby ATTMFKH » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:53 pm

Glad to hear your recovery is going well - from the pics you posted :puke: I thought you would be out for much longer.

Post up some shots of your new stick when you get it.

We're going West if the wind drops as predicted on Sunday
ATTMFKH

Postby Chris F » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:13 pm

Fold back both your wetsuit sleeves before putting the gloves on, that's half the fight. Get the glove on your more dextrous hand first; i'm left handed and i find it easier to get the left glove on first, then use that hand to get the right one on IYSWIM.
Chris F

Postby Burler » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:29 pm

ATTMFKH wrote:Post up some shots of your new stick when you get it.

There you go, attached it for ya.

941028_562910653869782_9203590682107673320_n.jpg
Squady
941028_562910653869782_9203590682107673320_n.jpg (147.02 KiB) Viewed 4540 times

Inspiration also attached

Male-great-crested-newt (1).jpg
Newty
Male-great-crested-newt (1).jpg (63.72 KiB) Viewed 4540 times

Was gonna go for black top but was worried about sun damage. If I turn up at your break you sure as fuck won't think it's anyone else!
Burler

Postby ATTMFKH » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:32 am

Chris F wrote:

Fold back both your wetsuit sleeves before putting the gloves on, that's half the fight. Get the glove on your more dextrous hand first; i'm left handed and i find it easier to get the left glove on first, then use that hand to get the right one on IYSWIM.

I do all that Chris, even fold down the entry seal on both gloves - it's a f*cking Ars*hole I tell thee

Burler - liking your new scoot - plenty of options on the fin front , looks like it could be a blast. btw the bottom of your board is quite trippy - starts of nice & fishy then goes a bit sinister the longer you stare at it :shock:
ATTMFKH

Postby Archy_is_God » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:02 pm

*Image of Kenny Everett with huge hands pops into my mind

With hands that big, do you need gloves?
Archy_is_God

Postby ATTMFKH » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:43 pm

^^^ dunno why they don't fit :?

ATTMFKH

Postby Philchapman » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:41 pm

Holy fuck, where did you find that??? Any idea what the condition is called?
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby Burler » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:12 am

Fuckin' hell. Don't you just paddle in circles with that set up :lol: :lol:
Burler

Postby ATTMFKH » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:48 pm

Philchapman wrote:Holy fuck, where did you find that??? Any idea what the condition is called?

cos Archy typed 'Kenny Everett hands' , I searched for Kenny Everett big hands and that came up :shock: grim
ATTMFKH

Postby Archy_is_God » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:43 pm

Edward Haggishands
Archy_is_God

Postby Leven » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:27 pm

So I've had mine for over a year now, and thought I'd give a little update...It's been used for the second half of last winter, all summer spearfishing, and this winter so far.

Pro's
Seams all intact, none of the little pinprick leaks you get. Tape all in place.
Still very warm (Got out after a dawny this morning, and steam was pouring off me when I took the suit off...).
No rips on the calf loops (don't actually use them...).
Still flexible, no stiffening of the neoprene or anything.

Cons
One of the bonded parts of the cross over of the chest entry came apart. £10 fix from Paul at Bodyline, and is now solid.
A couple of little pulls in the lining, very small.
The logo has peeled off a bit.

Really struggling to find much bad to say about it. A year of solid use in, and it's still in really good nick, and is warm and comfy. By comparison, my previous Xcel lasted about 4/5 months of similar use before all the seams leaked, and the lining came apart.
Leven

PreviousNext

Return to Wetsuits and gear