Stoke surf today!

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Re: Stoke surf today!

Postby smelly skater » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:55 am

fun surf at p land this morning before work :D
smelly skater

Postby Vince Noir » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:11 pm

dropping in on the kooks then :lol: ?

I am in devon from 18th-31st . no you cant drop in on me :lol:
Vince Noir

Postby zboy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:44 pm

roberdy wrote:Injinup Car Park with four guys out for about two hours! The turned into a zoo :( head high clean peelers, perfect for a kook like me!! Off to Melbs tmrw, hopefully get something down Bells Bay, lots of south in the swell right now.

This is what Margs Main Break looked like first thing, 11ft @ 19 secs.... you decide....

i wish i was waking up to that :-)
zboy

Postby surfrat » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:51 am

2 surfs at combesgate......1 sunfish with a fin/flipper that scared the life out of me. 1 epic paddle and 1 soggy beating...

then to lynmouth were i spotted smelly but it wasn't really working. nice fish and chips though
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HunterSurf/133748279996238
surfrat

Postby roberdy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:29 pm

zboy wrote:
roberdy wrote:Injinup Car Park with four guys out for about two hours! The turned into a zoo :( head high clean peelers, perfect for a kook like me!! Off to Melbs tmrw, hopefully get something down Bells Bay, lots of south in the swell right now.

This is what Margs Main Break looked like first thing, 11ft @ 19 secs.... you decide....

i wish i was waking up to that :-)

Thought it was gonna keep me awake most of the night, you could hear it booming off the reef from behind the sand dunes!
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby roberdy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:35 pm

Had to go search for waves a bit today, well, when I say search, we hung a Melbourne hook to the left off the Great Ocean Road, drove about 5ks to the coast and ended up at a beach called Johanna's. I could see only three people in the water for about 4kms up and down the beach with multiple bowly peaks peeling off left and right. The charts said 1-2ft but this was good chest with occasional bigger sets. Paddled out on a peak right in front of a little bluff, reckon the peak was debris from the last time the cliff fell in there, lovely bowly take off where the swell was warping round the bank and then a 80-100m right hand wall to the inside.

Would say is the best surf I have had over here so far, really fun wave, only me and one other guy from Melbourne surfing it, 100 yards away was another almost identical peak with two guy on it.

Surfed for about 90 mins until the tide dropped a bit, the wave stopped working so nicely and the swell finally dropped off to barely waist high. Got back to the car and found the missus had slept through the whole thing!

Maloolaba here we come tmrw, hoping the Decorator and Shack are lining up some friendly spots for me :)
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby roberdy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:42 pm

Chris F wrote:Get off MSW and FB and just enjoy it.

I was gonna say that if you check the times of most of my posts, they happen when it is dark over here, there has been so much driving and surfing and eating and traipsing round towns and cities that it is a wonder I have time for anything online but I have my laptop and my iPhone so there is really no excuse for me not to torment you at every opportunity, I know if the tables were reversed I would get the same generosity :) and lets face it, I'll be coming back tot he Deen at the arse end of a shit year for surf with no holidays left until I get my next annual allocation which doesn't happen until oooh Sept 1st :)
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Black » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:16 pm

Feeling some stokeage after tonights session as it was rubbish at the start then gradually got much better as the tide dropped. I didn't actually get many good ones but it was a hell of a lot better than expected. @ Perranporth.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Black » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:58 pm

Went to Fistral tonight, can't remember enjoying a session so much this year. It was going off and not too busy. :-D :-D

Just remembered, didn't paddle into a couple as I was a bit chicken!!!
Black

Postby the blowin » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:07 pm

roberdy wrote:
Chris F wrote:Get off MSW and FB and just enjoy it.

I was gonna say that if you check the times of most of my posts, they happen when it is dark over here, there has been so much driving and surfing and eating and traipsing round towns and cities that it is a wonder I have time for anything online but I have my laptop and my iPhone so there is really no excuse for me not to torment you at every opportunity, I know if the tables were reversed I would get the same generosity :) and lets face it, I'll be coming back tot he Deen at the arse end of a shit year for surf with no holidays left until I get my next annual allocation which doesn't happen until oooh Sept 1st :)

good posts, good reads, plse keep them going
the blowin

Postby surfinsmiler » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:44 pm

roberdy wrote:Had to go search for waves a bit today, well, when I say search, we hung a Melbourne hook to the left off the Great Ocean Road, drove about 5ks to the coast and ended up at a beach called Johanna's. I could see only three people in the water for about 4kms up and down the beach with multiple bowly peaks peeling off left and right. The charts said 1-2ft but this was good chest with occasional bigger sets. Paddled out on a peak right in front of a little bluff, reckon the peak was debris from the last time the cliff fell in there, lovely bowly take off where the swell was warping round the bank and then a 80-100m right hand wall to the inside.

Would say is the best surf I have had over here so far, really fun wave, only me and one other guy from Melbourne surfing it, 100 yards away was another almost identical peak with two guy on it.

Surfed for about 90 mins until the tide dropped a bit, the wave stopped working so nicely and the swell finally dropped off to barely waist high. Got back to the car and found the missus had slept through the whole thing!

Maloolaba here we come tmrw, hoping the Decorator and Shack are lining up some friendly spots for me :)

Probably too late roberdy but see if you can get up the coast a few more clicks to Gibbs Steps where you can surf in the shadow of the 9-12 Apostles.Looked great when I was there last.
Started out in life with nothing and I've still got most of it left!
surfinsmiler

Postby Black » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:46 pm

Really fun waves at Perranporth tonight. Downside, I managed to cut my nose on the gopro!!!! Bled the whole session. :lol:
Black

Postby shackattack2 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:32 am

roberdy wrote:Maloolaba here we come tmrw, hoping the Decorator and Shack are lining up some friendly spots for me

Sorry to have missed you Roberdy. Looks like you got some good waves. Heard you got a few at "doggers" with Decorator (post witty comment here).I was shattered from a week of solid surfing and my ladyfriend was just back from India so....

A pretty big swell hit that same spot last sunday. Decorator managed a few until he got washed in, but I was just surviving :shock:

Not a bad old place eh? :wink:
http://tomsandbasil.com/
shackattack2

Postby The Decorator » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:34 am

shackattack2 wrote:.
roberdy wrote:Maloolaba here we come tmrw, hoping the Decorator and Shack are lining up some friendly spots for me

Sorry to have missed you Roberdy. Looks like you got some good waves. Heard you got a few at "doggers" with Decorator (post witty comment here).I was shattered from a week of solid surfing and my ladyfriend had just arrived from India so....

A pretty big swell hit that same spot last sunday. Decorator managed a few until he got washed in, but I was just surviving :shock:

Those silicon replicants from Hyderabad have come a long way since the old inflatables eh?
www.mugofsunshine.blogspot.com
The Decorator

Postby Ferral » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:38 am

Most fun I've had in a long long time. not too crowded, chest to head high, glassed off as the tide dropped.. back on the surf froth train :-D :-D :lol:
Ferral

Postby shackattack2 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:35 am

The Decorator wrote:

Sorry to have missed you Roberdy. Looks like you got some good waves. Heard you got a few at "doggers" with Decorator (post witty comment here).I was shattered from a week of solid surfing and my ladyfriend had just arrived from India so....

Those silicon replicants from Hyderabad have come a long way since the old inflatables eh?

:lol: The last one made in China kept breaking down....the ones from India have a much more lifelike feel. :wink:

Shouldn't you be doing some board w*nking? ...sorry I meant sanding.

Originals sunday? Mal waves this weekend. That minimal near finished?
http://tomsandbasil.com/
shackattack2

Postby roberdy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:02 pm

Sorry to have missed you Roberdy. Looks like you got some good waves. Heard you got a few at "doggers" with Decorator (post witty comment here).I was shattered from a week of solid surfing and my ladyfriend was just back from India so....

Shack, no worries it as kinda wee surf anyway! I got a bit skunked on the east coast really although the flatness made for some epic diving the next day :)

Got in the water this morning, weirdly the first dawny I have done this year :shock: was about chest high+ on sets and pretty slack, seems weird as my perception of the waves here has changed significantly and I seem to have improved quite a bit while I was away too, pop up is smoother, wave reading seems better. Just need to re-acclimatise to the north east and then head for the top coast for some real juice (if we ever get any decent swell!).

I'll see you next time we are out mate, hoepfully next year!
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Chris F » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:29 pm

I totally chose wrong this week :(

Praying for a good autumn.
Chris F

Postby skimmer2 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:12 pm

Offshore winds were a bit too strong today and the waves pretty slack. Got better later on when the wind died down a tad with clean waist high peelers. Waves still weak but with the sun out and the water warm who can complain.
skimmer2

Postby Ferral » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:30 pm

wind dropped, tide pushed, swell pulsed.. lunchbreak got extended. stoke-o-meter on overload this week :-D :-D
Ferral

Postby ATTMFKH » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:53 pm

pretty small but a few long rights on the log with Kaikela, warm water, bit of sun 8)

bad jelly sting on the hand & chin :evil: did the vinegar & near boiling water trick - still real sore .....boooohoooo - anyone got any old school granny cures that actually work - nematocysts pulling all moisture out of hand, fluid dripping off it
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Black » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:20 pm

Went to Fistral tonight with Newtangled on a flying visit. Super smooooth decent size waves with offshores (a little strong) and so easy. Fun with a capital F. I laughed so much, it was utterly stoketastic!
Black

Postby Archy_is_God » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Top surf at a reefbreak somewhere

Happy days :-D
Archy_is_God

Postby surfrat » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:30 am

was it that good? if it was the one i was at it was ok but very setty and a tight little pack on the peak. some of the waves had a great shape and power though
went there in morning it was flat. surfed chunky woolacombe then drove back again and got it
which one were you btw?
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HunterSurf/133748279996238
surfrat

Postby Archy_is_God » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:20 am

Furthest North, just me and one other chap for a good hour or so.

Must have been swell all along the coast though or maybe not?
Archy_is_God

Postby Archy_is_God » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:28 am

Black wrote:Went to Fistral tonight with Newtangled on a flying visit. Super smooooth decent size waves with offshores (a little strong) and so easy. Fun with a capital F. I laughed so much, it was utterly stoketastic!

Did you see Machado surf? He was frothing on Twitter!
Archy_is_God

Postby Black » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:05 pm

Archy_is_God wrote:
Black wrote:Went to Fistral tonight with Newtangled on a flying visit. Super smooooth decent size waves with offshores (a little strong) and so easy. Fun with a capital F. I laughed so much, it was utterly stoketastic!

Did you see Machado surf? He was frothing on Twitter!

Noooo, missed him, what did he say on twitter? I can't remember waves so smooth at fistral before. Did he surf in the late evening?
Black

Postby Archy_is_God » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:54 pm

He posted a pic from Northy looking South, looked like it was on the drop.

I think he actually referred to the surf as 'pumping', which was pretty apt!

Would have been good to watch the skinny bugger surf.
Archy_is_God

Postby Black » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:15 pm

Yeah, I could have given him some pointers on style! :shock:
Black

Postby Archy_is_God » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:15 pm

Super fun surf today...

Unexpected swell, only a hundred people instead of two hundred, bowly, light onshore peaks,happy days! :-) :-)
Archy_is_God

PreviousNext

Return to General