sleep walking

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

sleep walking

Postby bakers » Mon May 13, 2013 9:36 am

hey just wondering if anyone else suffers from sleep walking or any other sleep related problems?
I've suffered all my life to the point it affected my job, relationships etc., some of the problems i had;
couldn't stay over my girl friends because my shouting/moving about was to much for the ex to handle.
twisted my ankle jumping sleep walking
had stitches in the bottom of my foot due to dragging my foot up and down a screw sticking out of a drawer (which id kicked the handle off while sleeping)
i recently finished a stint of sleep therapy which helped a lot.
bakers
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:32 am

Re: sleep walking

Postby Vince Noir » Mon May 13, 2013 9:58 am

i grind my teeth and clench my jaw loud enough to wake my girlfriend up in the night ( bruxism)

wake up feeling like my teeth have been gone over with a file, and a mild headache. last two mouth guards i had ground through within a month or so :?
User avatar
Vince Noir
 
Posts: 3393
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: Your mamma's hairy axe wound

Re: sleep walking

Postby xsurfedgex » Mon May 13, 2013 10:56 am

What did the 'sleep therapy' involve?

I'm a sleep walker. done all sorts of daft stuff in recent years... poor attempts to wash up, online chatrooms, threw all my shirts off their hangers, run the bath, rearranged cupboards, read magazines in the dark...

as a kid I apparently also tried to clean out the hamster cages and build dens.

its had some mega negative effects on my personal life (espcially the chatroom stuff!) and it sucks when no one believes you and thinks you're mad. I am led to believe its due to stress causing irregular heartbeats/intake of oxygen to the brain, so you don't completely switch off when asleep. To 'cure' the 'walking' I doubled up my duvets so they were super heavy which is a technique nanny's use, so you're basically swaddled up and can't move as easily. Works for me, if a tad warm. Acknowledging you're prone is part of the battle as Sub conciously you'll tell yourself you're stressed and need to relax, which then convinces yourself to not do it.... apparently.

that and surfing more.
xsurfedgex
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:38 pm

Re: sleep walking

Postby makkattack » Mon May 13, 2013 12:23 pm

Vince Noir wrote:i grind my teeth and clench my jaw loud enough to wake my girlfriend up in the night ( bruxism)

wake up feeling like my teeth have been gone over with a file, and a mild headache. last two mouth guards i had ground through within a month or so :?


You sure no one's dropping a load of gurner's in your Horlicks?! :lol:
User avatar
makkattack
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:13 pm
Location: Walls of Corn

Re: sleep walking

Postby Philshoz » Mon May 13, 2013 1:41 pm

I've seen your Instagram pics Bakers................nuff said.......... :shock:
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:17 am
Location: Brittany

Re: sleep walking

Postby bakers » Mon May 13, 2013 2:52 pm

xsurfedgex wrote:What did the 'sleep therapy' involve?

I'm a sleep walker. done all sorts of daft stuff in recent years... poor attempts to wash up, online chatrooms, threw all my shirts off their hangers, run the bath, rearranged cupboards, read magazines in the dark...

as a kid I apparently also tried to clean out the hamster cages and build dens.

its had some mega negative effects on my personal life (espcially the chatroom stuff!) and it sucks when no one believes you and thinks you're mad. I am led to believe its due to stress causing irregular heartbeats/intake of oxygen to the brain, so you don't completely switch off when asleep. To 'cure' the 'walking' I doubled up my duvets so they were super heavy which is a technique nanny's use, so you're basically swaddled up and can't move as easily. Works for me, if a tad warm. Acknowledging you're prone is part of the battle as Sub conciously you'll tell yourself you're stressed and need to relax, which then convinces yourself to not do it.... apparently.

that and surfing more.


my sleep walking began when i was about 5/6, the therapist said if it goes unchecked from childhood to adulthood it can cause major problems, in a lot of people it can developed into something where it turns from sleep walking to sleep harming (i.e my foot).
. she hasn't done a great deal to help, just helped me understand the problem a bit more. she had me take a pen and paper to bed every night, so if you wake up for even a second write down quickly the first thing that's in your mind, get into a habit of doing this then compare your notes to nights when you know you have been sleep walking and you might be surprised at what you've written.
unfortunately the doctors aren't much help, i went to see them a couple of months ago due tp having constant headaches, they sent me for all the blood tests going and everything came back clear, the doctor asked me 10 questions like "do you ever feel stressed when in a crowd" i answered yes to 7/10 of these questions and he said "ok the problem is you have high stress/anxiety levels, take these tablets twice a day for the next 6 months", the doctors evaluation felt to general for me, that's why i went to see the nurse in work and she hooked me up with the sleep therapist, turns out because i was working such long constant hours, surfing and then instead of sleeping i was sleep walking (by sleeping you don't get the quality sleep that your body needs tp recover from the day) so i was basically burning the candles at both ends and it run me down in the end.
i find sleeping with a light on helps me a lot, my sleep walkings intermittent, im always like 10% awake when im up and rummaging round, so i find that if the lights on sometimes it will bring me round before I've had a chance to get to far.
bakers
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:32 am

Re: sleep walking

Postby bakers » Mon May 13, 2013 3:41 pm

Philshoz wrote:I've seen your Instagram pics Bakers................nuff said.......... :shock:

that pic was from a particularly bad night sleep, i woke up on the floor, and no i wasn't passed :lol:
bakers
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:32 am

Re: sleep walking

Postby Wilson987 » Wed May 15, 2013 3:58 pm

I'm prone to sleepwalking usually once or twice a year and usually when there's drink involved but not limited to drinking.
There's no pattern, so I don't know when it's coming but it's happened enough times for me to figure out some things that definitely apply to me and possibly others.

I frequently wake up to go to the toilet during the night, gf tells me and family have told me before her. I NEVER remember doing this and often when staying over in a strange house this results in me attempting to piss on some random object in a room other than the bathroom :o
I've figured out that I always follow the same route that I would take to sleepwalk to my own bathroom, and same return journey. So I can almost 'call' the spot where I may try to urinate while drunk in a friends house lol.

I seemed to suffer more when living at home, used to go for midnight walks and remember nothing but confirmed but confirmed by the cuts, bruises and dirt on my bare feet :lol:

I have read that people have done some crazy things while sleep walking, people have committed murder on friends or loved ones and have successfully used sleep walking as a defence in court (can't cite the exact case I'm afraid).
I've also told my gf never to try to wake me, just guide me back to bed as apparently sudden awakening can result or trigger a flight or fight instinct.

So far 2013 is major sleepwalk incident free for me :-D
Wilson987
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:46 am
Location: Northern Ireland, North Coast

Re: sleep walking

Postby danny1 » Wed May 15, 2013 6:31 pm

this must be awful - i do feel for you all.

I sleep walk when pissed or battered- have done so so so many things.

i am sure we all have thses stories so lets get them out...

naked Tea bagged my sister in law with her hubby (my bro) in bed with her.

walked into my wifes (then gfs) mam and dads room naked, turned light on and asked them where toilet was...the first night i met them

have done so many shits in my sleep- sometimes hitting the target sometimes not...

wake up to be greeted by pools on the floor almost every time i get proper hammered

and the worst one- was at a club in hull completely battered - like off the scale...got kicked out this club. My last memory was talkng to a prozzie with no teeth. i then woke up under a bush with my pants down.
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1
 
Posts: 8759
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:01 pm
Location: northeast

Re: sleep walking

Postby Kamikaze » Fri May 17, 2013 11:39 am

I do struggle to sleep sometimes, but nowhere near your league, I'll go to bed dog tired, turn the light out then be wide awake. Or I'll go to sleep and wake up after 10 mins. Wind up reading till the small hours then feel shite the next day. For some reason I always sleep badly if I've got to get up early and drive somewhere, I tend to travel the night before and get a hotel these days.


I also grind/clench my teeth (day and night)which causes headaches and a clicky jaw. But probably not as bad a vince. dentist want to charge £800 for a special tooth guard.


Best story I've ever heard about sleepwalking was a neighbour of mine stood up in bed at about 2am thinking she was in die hard. Ran the end of the bed an leaped off the end. She got two black eyes a sprained wrist and broke her ankle 'and' the wardrobe.
Image
User avatar
Kamikaze
 
Posts: 2140
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:51 pm
Location: Sunny, yet normally flat Bournemouth

Re: sleep walking

Postby Leedsol » Sat May 18, 2013 8:03 pm

danny1 wrote:this must be awful - i do feel for you all.

I sleep walk when pissed or battered- have done so so so many things.

i am sure we all have thses stories so lets get them out...

naked Tea bagged my sister in law with her hubby (my bro) in bed with her.

walked into my wifes (then gfs) mam and dads room naked, turned light on and asked them where toilet was...the first night i met them

have done so many shits in my sleep- sometimes hitting the target sometimes not...

wake up to be greeted by pools on the floor almost every time i get proper hammered

and the worst one- was at a club in hull completely battered - like off the scale...got kicked out this club. My last memory was talkng to a prozzie with no teeth. i then woke up under a bush with my pants down.


Your undies also ended up on my head at the Carlina Lodge in Biarritz - same day we got smashed on a flat day, went in that club in Biarritz centre and you got your cock out and placed it in that poser French guy's hand for no discernible reason
You're too deep Camel..its Indo not Margaret River
Leedsol
 
Posts: 847
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:37 pm
Location: watching dexter

Re: sleep walking

Postby danny1 » Sat May 18, 2013 8:27 pm

Ha i remember

He didn't really understand why - as he spkoe to a girl, a fat geordie bloke came up from behind and just laid his penis across his upturned palm
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1
 
Posts: 8759
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:01 pm
Location: northeast

Re: sleep walking

Postby skimmer2 » Sun May 19, 2013 5:33 pm

My mum awoke one night thinking it was raining in the house.....was my dad urinating on her....it was his first time pissed in Scotland on New Year. Apparently he put a kilt on too and danced in the local village's tennis courts on his own..eegit! Normally he wouldn't say boo to a goose...very quiet man.

I've fallen through a door into the middle of a friends folks bed at 3am in the morning......they got up screaming and swinging thinking a burglar was in the room.....that was after calling many ladies in the village for dirty talk.......bit of a blur really...hellish hangover and lots of scowls in the pub the next day...only lasted one drink...the shame. Blame my so called friend.
skimmer2
 
Posts: 1730
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:33 am

Re: sleep walking

Postby danny1 » Sun May 19, 2013 9:08 pm

Hajaha Lols!!!
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1
 
Posts: 8759
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:01 pm
Location: northeast


Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests