Anti Pro sentiment/crowds/epic days

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells and more. Everyone and anyone welcome.
Try to keep it friendly...

Anti Pro sentiment/crowds/epic days

Postby thechimp » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:08 am

all done before in varying degrees, but the anti pro surfer feeling IMO has never been worse, its on another forum but just have a quick look at a few posts in relation to Dean Morrison, Mick and co, I fear they will be another incident soon that happened to Nat Young (the old Nat, that is)

http://www.swellnet.com/forums/wax/316349

I've been dropped in on, snaked, faded by pro's over the years had some karma in return, I went up to Noosa last week, was'nt expecting to surf as the Festival was on, you can't get a parking space on the points even in the dark, but i was lucky and got one behind the Police post, the Contest was moved to the river mouth as the swell was too south, but later that afternoon it swung around more SE and first point had some small sets. There were two guys in so i joined them for an hour or so, the tent on the beach was completely empty, it was just pure luck. TTree was packed with hundreds out.

I now find myself surfing average days more often than not and on epic days just driving to find a quiet spot, so how is it at your nearest decent spot? on epic days, dos'nt have to be Pro's, just blow in's, sponsored hangers on etc, how is it at Freshwater West, Croyde, Fistral, Leven, K bay, the East coast and Scotland, these days.
thechimp

Re: Anti Pro sentiment/crowds/epic days

Postby Black » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:22 am

No real problems at Fistral although I do have a big compression in one of my boards taking emergency avoidance of a drop in. For the numbers I think its mostly relaxed, maybe I've forgotten what summer is like!

Just looking at this there is no way I would even get in at this level of crowds... http://magicseaweed.com/news/this-is-how-good-snapper-and-d-bah-have-been/10145/ its a total zoo!! Australians believe in bullying, the british have manners! :lol:
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby WeAreMemories » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:50 am

bantham.jpg
bantham.jpg (83.9 KiB) Viewed 1189 times

Bantham right now with a 4 star Seaweed rating, mid week and only going to get busier :roll:
WeAreMemories

Postby thechimp » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:52 am

Wow, what would it be like on a sunday.
thechimp

Postby Chris F » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:11 pm

Aberdeen only really gets busy if there's a rare good swell on a sunny summer's evening when few people can be bothered to drive anywhere too far. Then there's up to about 50 people in the water and it can be a bit of a zoo. Any other time (weekends etc) people tend to travel to better breaks slightly further away, or spread their sessions out through the day. Otherwise there is usually about a dozen at any NE beach unless there is an event on. There are usually a few very good surfers, but rarely any "pros", Mark Cameron was in the water once, showing what can actually be done in what to me were average waves.

Outside of that in Scotland I think Pease can get zooed out as it's a honeypot for all of Central Belt, and Thurso can get very busy when it's on, and doesn't accommodate many surfers easily. I'm too much of a punter to do it justice and would just get in the way anyway. Other than that most places are pretty quiet.
Chris F

Postby buttholesurfer » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:33 pm

WeAreMemories wrote:
bantham.jpg

Bantham right now with a 4 star Seaweed rating, mid week and only going to get busier :roll:

Thank F I went to Whitsands.
buttholesurfer

Postby ATTMFKH » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:52 pm

Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Leven » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:31 pm

So very rare that I surf the main beaches these days. Just can't be bothered to hassle for waves. Lev is busy, like stupidly busy these days, which just pushes the take off deeper and deeper. Never surf it anymore and I live here!

In October I surfed Godrevy one lunchtime (it was half term), and every wave I paddled for, there were at least 10 people paddling toward me from shore, eyes wide, bailing boards the lot. Utter zoo. The some girl bailed her board and this happened:

IMG_1927.JPG
IMG_1927.JPG (60.07 KiB) Viewed 1147 times

The second time she bailed, her board hit me in the head....At that point she got a mouthful.
Leven

Postby danny1 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:15 pm

still not much in the way of crowds up north away from the glamour spots
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby ATTMFKH » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:54 pm

Looks like mine from a few years back Leven, although mine was a mistimed jump off onto dry boulders

ATTMFKH

Postby thechimp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:18 pm

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/lif ... 16e2cf3941

I think Mick F's statement 'Whatever happens in the water, happens in the water' might just come back and Haunt him.

He's through to the next round of course, beating KS and JF, but a guy from Tweed Heads said to me last week 'I would'nt buy any beer from those Dickheads brewery'
thechimp

Postby mountain man » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:15 am

Interesting thread and I've just waded through all the linked articles and threads from Australia. Whenever I see video of places like Snapper I find it incredible anyone gets waves. Hearing tales of being out for 4 hours and only getting one wave, crazy. As for Mick Fanning, what a grade A cunt. Here in Pembrokeshire it's not too bad although some spots do get crowded and frankly these days I'd rather surf slightly less good waves than scrabble around with 100 other surfers.

Snaking I think is a far worse crime than drop ins, it really pisses me off and I do confront the offenders but it's a shit situation as almost always ends up in an ill tempered slanging match which results in a bad vibe descending for rest of session. On my travels the worst places I've found have been the Canaries, some really turkeys over there.

Fortunately for me it's still possible to score good uncrowded waves around here by knowing where and when to go, basically most surfers are lazy twats so don't want to get up early for a dawnie!

Still, there are times I day dream about how nice it would be to employ a sniper on the hill side.....
mountain man

Postby Chris F » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:51 pm

"two guys for every wave"

In summary - fuck that.
Chris F

Postby Chris F » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:56 pm

mountain man wrote: I daydream about how nice it would be to be a sniper on the hill side.....

Nothing more satisfying than a clean headshot.
Chris F

Postby Leedsol » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:30 am

ATTMFKH wrote:Looks like mine from a few years back Leven, although mine was a mistimed jump off onto dry boulders

When you say a few years ago I take it you mean the bloody 1980s which is when the marblewash jeans, blue boxers and brown belt combo was last in. I'm telling Clarkson you've nicked his wardrobe. :lol:

Read that forum, jeez pros sound like a bunch of twats over there. My favourite spots are all pretty quiet and we all know each other even over in Portugal. Just me and one mate surfed a lot in February but we were hitting it at sunrise.

One bad incident in Portugal the other year was when a Chilean guy, lives locally but surfs maybe once a year and is shit twatted an young English lad at the local reef (apparently both worked for surf schools and there had been some issues).

He then turned to me and told me to get out of the water. I told him are you on fucking drugs mate, we've surfed here together before and to fuck off and we'll deal with it by him getting a jail term if he wanted. I've not seen him since and the lads I surf with there always laugh at that when I roll up for my weeks there and ask if that fat cunt Jesus has been about.

Day after that incident Surfrat paddled out, told him and he said I hope he's not the one who pulled a gun on someone in P do Rocha. I vaguely shit em then but have seen him since just sitting in his car. Never seen him in the water again. He just seems to get stoned now. Jesus that is not Andy
You're too deep Camel..its Indo not Margaret River
Leedsol

Postby thechimp » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:20 am

Yep love that area Leedsol, first went early eighties, then took the kids late eighties all the nineties, used to stay in Sagres, nearly drowned at Arrifana rescuing an old Portugese guy, both kids emigrated, its not just the pro's here, some of the old blokes on long boards are just as bad, i find the kids are actually ok, saw a well known, even famous writer, ex surf mag editor, drop in on a young Japanese girl, she went over the falls on the sandbank, i paddled over to see if she was ok, she was even apolagetic, i tried to get her to just paddle back out but she went in,
Enjoy the Western Algarve while you can.
thechimp

Postby Leedsol » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:15 am

^^^nice. Arrifana point was one of the spots we hit early doors last trip. Just us two out so we could hug the point a bit more (locals hug it later in day). It was pretty square on sets that day but fun.
You're too deep Camel..its Indo not Margaret River
Leedsol

Postby ATTMFKH » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:14 pm

You're just jealous of my style there Leedsol :lol: :lol: and it's big boy pull ups not boxers :twisted:
ATTMFKH

Postby roberdy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:05 pm

thechimp wrote:I've been dropped in on, snaked, faded by pro's over the years had some karma in return, I went up to Noosa last week, was'nt expecting to surf as the Festival was on, you can't get a parking space on the points even in the dark, but i was lucky and got one behind the Police post, the Contest was moved to the river mouth as the swell was too south, but later that afternoon it swung around more SE and first point had some small sets. There were two guys in so i joined them for an hour or so, the tent on the beach was completely empty, it was just pure luck. TTree was packed with hundreds out.

was the wind fucked for the 30kms of beachies south of A-Bay? I don't even bother with the Goldy anymore unless it is the Spit or S Straddy occasionally, I might go out mid-week at the Alley but I rarely get mid-week days to do it these days. Normally skip on down to the Tweed backbeaches, plenty of banks down there most of the time, I am mostly resigned to never surfing the points unless I go to Straddy proper or Moreton or DI, but DI hasn't broken good in a year I reckon, at least not when I have had the time to get up there!

On the north side, if the swell is in the east you have everywhere from King's to A-Bay to pick from, only have to go a couple of kms outside a town and you get uncrowded and great breaks, just needs winds to cooperate. There's always gonna be days that it is too big for the beaches and you know the points are on, you are right, you can't get parked at Noosa even in the dark, it's a fricken zoo as well. We usually go all the way out to Granite if it is on, thins the crowds slightly the 40 min walk does :)

1st point and Tee Tree are just pro bro ho magnets and a fricken nightmare to get a wave unless you have a dgaf attitude and a beater of a board you aren't fussed about smashing up !
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby thechimp » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:21 pm

well that woke up up........yep know about all the other spots tks,was at Alex on that sunday, walked a bit north of the SLSC to get a quiet peak, i still like to try and surf the points when i can, just wanted to highlight the state of play now, how the peoples attitude to the pro's have changed, the attitude of many aussies, even robbie S the local surf forecaster wrote about TT and how on that saturday he never got one wave.
There were 350 4x4's at DI point the other weekend and they left tons and tons of rubbish behind!! just wanted to hear how the good ol UK is now, sometimes i wish i was still in a 5.3 surfing S.Cornwall all alone on a tuesday morning in March.
thechimp

Postby Leven » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:02 am

thechimp wrote:sometimes i wish i was still in a 5.3 surfing S.Cornwall all alone on a tuesday morning in March.

Doesn't really happen anymore. Too many students!
Leven

Postby mountain man » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:47 am

Leven wrote:
thechimp wrote:sometimes i wish i was still in a 5.3 surfing S.Cornwall all alone on a tuesday morning in March.

Doesn't really happen anymore. Too many students!

It still happens here, yesterday afternoon really good head high waves and two of us in during the best period.
mountain man

Postby Black » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:30 am

Yes, I had the point thats not a point to myself yesterday afternoon - it was total pants, that's why! :roll:
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby thechimp » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:58 am

http://stabmag.com/news/the-fastest-gro ... the-world/

Interesting article, but thats Borneo now on the surf map, i wonder how long it will take to find the MickF right hander?........Mauritania..........or Mozambique??
thechimp

Return to General