Surf Snowdonia Wavegarden review - I have been!

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells and more. Everyone and anyone welcome.
Try to keep it friendly...

Re: Surf Snowdonia Wavegarden review - I have been!

Postby Indodreamin » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:48 am

Before I surfed the Snowdonia wave garden i read this thread which was undoubtly a well writen and full review of the wave; However, it left me feeling less than infused and a little bit concerned that i had booked the session. when i arrived at the wave the set up was rather confusing but i grapped one of the life guards who gave me a quick overview and some really usefull tips. The life guard stated that a lot of people struggle to catch the wave in the first place she recommned angling the board towards the breaking wave. I had also read in the above metioned review that staying as close to the centre pier as possible and hanging on to the wire mesh (plastic coated dont worry) will see you best placed. I have to say at no point did i struggle to catch any of the waves using these principles; However, I did notice that if you angle your board to much towards the breaking wave you end up getting stuck in the white water and struggle to make up speed like a normal wave. I have to say im used to surfing weak waves in the UK so it didnt feel much different. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Indodreamin

Postby tootes » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:29 pm

I am glad you had a great time at the wave garden. I would not like to have stopped people going, just posted my perspective. I still think it is a fantastic asset to have in Snowdonia and wish them the best of luck.

I never got round to using my free hour this year, although I have been working a contract 2days a week in North Wales but never made it happen, Although I did sneak over to Hells for a couple of clean late evenings this summer :)

I think I average about one surf a week now overall so am surfing more than I used to but have really lost the desire to go back. As awesome as it looks I struggle to get excited by Kellys' barrel as well.
wheels and water blog
http://tootes.blogspot.com/
Eco Kindle Blog
http://ecokindle.blogspot.com/
tootes

Postby c-lad fantastic » Thu May 11, 2017 10:35 am

https://youtu.be/D4W5SDe9t2c

Looks like business is booming. Anyone have any idea where in London it's going to be?
c-lad fantastic

Postby Goat » Wed May 17, 2017 11:40 am

No idea C-Lad, but exciting times. Looks the Bristol and London Waves are more of a reality now. The former has been dogged with funding delays to date.

Cheers for the useful feedback all - looking forward to trying the Snowdonia one this coming Bank Holiday.
Goat

Postby Vince Noir » Wed May 17, 2017 12:15 pm

Goat wrote: looking forward to trying the Snowdonia one this coming Bank Holiday.

lol, sounds truely awful tbh. novelty factor might keep some enthusiasm for it but steep price to pay
Vince Noir

Postby Goat » Wed May 17, 2017 2:09 pm

Yeah, only giving it a go as I am over in Snowdonia anyway (camping and trying that ziplining in caverns thing).

As you say, will probably end up being more of an (expensive) novelty thing, but you never know it may get refined for the better over time. Intrigued to give it a go anyway.
Goat

Postby Chris F » Thu May 18, 2017 1:22 pm

Goat wrote:No idea C-Lad, but exciting times. Looks the Bristol and London Waves are more of a reality now.

Talk of one near Ratho in Edinburgh too..
Chris F

Postby c-lad fantastic » Thu May 18, 2017 10:45 pm

I was at Surf Snowdonia a couple of weeks ago. Was really impressed by the set up. The wave itself was surprisingly good although I ballsed up a good few take offs. Was going to have another go but the advanced wave was completely booked up for the next 3 days! Would definitely go back if I was in the vicinity again. If anyone's thinking of heading down, make sure to book in advance!

Looking forward to future developments.

Here's some GoPro perspective if anyone's interested
https://youtu.be/aAjpl6ASCes
c-lad fantastic

Previous

Return to General