Neck, shoulders, knees and toes...

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells and more. Everyone and anyone welcome.
Try to keep it friendly...

Neck, shoulders, knees and toes...

Postby Leven » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:23 am

Well, neck and shoulders anyway....

Basically, I feel like I'm putting a lot of strain on my neck when I'm paddling, which is giving me sore neck muscles/traps etc. Is that normal? Does everyone strain their neck when paddling?!
Leven

Re: Neck, shoulders, knees and toes...

Postby thechimp » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:48 am

yep had the pain for quite a few years now, have tried the exercises, krill tablets but put it down to old age as i've surfed for 50 years,
some info on here
https://www.surfertoday.com/surfing/134 ... rfers-neck
thechimp

Postby ATTMFKH » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:27 am

I now get headaches the day after I surf which I'm sure is neck related
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Black » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:49 am

I've found sleeping position can have a big effect on neck aches/creaks.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby ATTMFKH » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:48 am

^^ so what is your solution Black
ATTMFKH

Postby Black » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:28 am

^^^ Weirdly if I sleep with a hand by my forehead my neck stops cracking all the time. I didn't say that as I guess its not a general fix, just my quirk.
Thats lying on my front btw.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby ATTMFKH » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:10 am

my neck creaks all the time with the occasional scary clunk thrown in ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Jory » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:27 am

pilates and chiroproactors will definitely help
Jory

Postby len » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:21 am

used to get stiff neck and light mild head aches.until my daughter did massage and physio course. turned out knots down one side of my neck magic fingers got them gone . been ok ever since.
len

Postby ATTMFKH » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:05 am

that's me today - sore head, sore neck , sore back

can you do self massage len ................. without pulling the top off it :lol: serious question btw
ATTMFKH

Postby Leven » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:31 pm

Done quite a lot of research in this recently, given my own health!

Basically, there's a few elements that combine...

1. Posture. Too much time spent driving, at laptops, watching tv etc. causes you to compress your neck. This is turn traps tissue and causes pain etc. Tuck your chin in and extend your neck!

2. Shoulders - I over use my traps (The muscles across the tops of your shoulders and neck), and under use my lats (the wings under your arms) when paddling - Pull from your wings more and it'll reduce tension/usage in your traps, so reducing tension in your neck

3. Ass - Weak glutes from sitting too much mean they can't support your weight when paddling, which in turn means your back/shoulders take all the strain. Get squatting, doing leg raises/cobra pose with ass clenched. And engage your core and ass when paddling.

4. Stretch - It's obvious. Neck, shoulders, lower back etc.

Early days for me with this (say 3 weeks!), but I've been doing some strengthening work like this, and I'm miles better. Surfed Friday night for an hour and actually felt much better paddling around than I have done for ages.
Leven

Postby ATTMFKH » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:14 am

Leven wrote:Done quite a lot of research in this recently, given my own health!

Basically, there's a few elements that combine...

1. Posture. Too much time spent driving, at laptops, watching tv etc. causes you to compress your neck. This is turn traps tissue and causes pain etc. Tuck your chin in and extend your neck!

2. Shoulders - I over use my traps (The muscles across the tops of your shoulders and neck), and under use my lats (the wings under your arms) when paddling - Pull from your wings more and it'll reduce tension/usage in your traps, so reducing tension in your neck

3. Ass - Weak glutes from sitting too much mean they can't support your weight when paddling, which in turn means your back/shoulders take all the strain. Get squatting, doing leg raises/cobra pose with ass clenched. And engage your core and ass when paddling.

4. Stretch - It's obvious. Neck, shoulders, lower back etc.

Early days for me with this (say 3 weeks!), but I've been doing some strengthening work like this, and I'm miles better. Surfed Friday night for an hour and actually felt much better paddling around than I have done for ages.

Will try some of this & report back
ATTMFKH

Postby Vince Noir » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:08 pm

50 % of chiropracters are total shit and woo woo men.

Leven wrote:Basically, there's a few elements that combine...

sitting too much weakens glutes and shortens and tightens up the hip flexors, which in turn tilts your pelvis and causes all sorts of back pain and misery. everyone in an office job should get up and move around for 5 min every hour atleast and stretch their hip flexors daily (google couch stretch, its really good).
Vince Noir

Postby ATTMFKH » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:16 pm

Leven - I swam a mile at lunch time today and can't get my head around your lats pull thing - might be different lying on a board but it is proper odd trying to make your body use your lats to pull you through the water - feels weird and I couldn't get it going :?
ATTMFKH

Postby Philshoz » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:27 am

Quite frankly, I'm amazed you old guys are still surfing :wink:

I find an annual trip to the osteopath gets everything back in line and a few Pilates exercises (bum clench, as Leven suggests is the key) trying to create a strong core, IMHO.

The arthritis in my neck will/is going to be a problem down the line. I can feel it grating all the time. I even passed out in the water last year falling badly backwards!!

We keep going the best we can eh?
Philshoz

Postby Poo Stance » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:08 am

This guy has some gold on his channel.

https://youtu.be/IjOa9vkKRWU

Look for his other neck vids as well as shoulder ones. Highly recommend.

You can do nice self massages on your traps by shrugging/elevating your shoulders and rolling the back bottom sides of your head on them, but warm up first or it's easy to pull muscles doing this.

Another good self massage for the upper back/lower neck region is to go onto all fours and retract the shoulders maximally, trying to pinch the shoulder blades together. Then try to move them up and down (shrugging/elevate & depress) along the back side of your ribcage, keeping shoulders as pinched as possible. This takes a bit of getting used to at first. Play around with different hand positions on the floor (under shoulders or incrementally upwards and with straight or slightly bent arms). I swear Kit L did a video on this too but I can't find it now. It feels amazing when done right.

Highly recommend a lacrosse type ball and a flat softer foam roller too. So much goodness from both. Find the point of tension and hold, applying pressure for 45seconds to 2mins. Gently rub after to increase blood flow and recovery.

Off topic but...
Bad posture is usually caused by weak hamstrings, glutes and abs. If you have lower back pain it's often advised not to stretch your hamstring as this allows them to lengthen, which lets the hips flexors pull your pelvis tighter into anterior tilt which only exasperates the problem by loading your lower back even more.

Good luck with the pain x
Poo Stance

Postby len » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:59 am

somebody seems to think wanking .is self massage ..cant wait to see response
len

Return to General