Stoke surf today!

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells and more. Everyone and anyone welcome.
Try to keep it friendly...

Re: Stoke surf today!

Postby tootes » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:57 pm

Not posted for a while but just had a week off and had an absolute dream run of surf finishing with a superb low tide dawnie this morning that was so much fun on my twinie.

All in a little bit of everything surfed my log, 7ft single fin carpet and 6.6 twinnie. I finned up my 6.4 but ended up not using it - should have had it this morning but left at home.
Highlights include fun surf at a moderately busy Pease main reef, just the right sort of size with an interesting inside on the sand bank. Plus a sizable but pleasant day at Coldy and a shitty day somewhere else... But the standout was a dream day at a surprisingly deserted reef, only an occasional few in (plus a drone for a while wtf).

The Good/Bad wave of the week was first thing on the reef, I was solo and tried to pull into a boiling hollow one. Instantly came off (was on the carpet lol) and was pitched with the lip - had one of those nasty moments of free fall as I went over and got drilled. Luckily no damage done but had me buzzing for a while.

Also watched some surf tutorials during the week and have been working on using my leading arm more, especially through back side turns, made strides forward especially on front side cut backs where I am now bringing the board round further plus tuning off the top crisper. Never going to turn pro though :lol:

Aprox 25hours water time which for a week on the east coast is pretty good going.
wheels and water blog
http://tootes.blogspot.com/
Eco Kindle Blog
http://ecokindle.blogspot.com/
tootes

Postby briggfoot » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:12 pm

Vince Noir wrote:
briggfoot wrote:some cracking surfs at Cayton beach too, better quality than Croyde I reckon!

nae chance pal

pumphouse or bunkers ? pumphouse is almost always a closeout. bunkers is hella good when its on though, not quite as good as croyde. cayton can be heavy at times ill give you that.

been fucking nothing in the deen other than the cold

Haha, Bunkers! Had couple of amazing sessions there last week. Solid, hollow and offshore! Lovely! Bit like decent Croyde but with 1/4 as many people on it! :lol: :P I think I can count the number of decent Croyde days on 1 hand from this year, though had a good couple of days there a week or so back.

South coast beckons for me tomorrow, could get used to this not-working lark :p
briggfoot

Postby future primitive » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:00 am

briggfoot wrote:
Vince Noir wrote:
briggfoot wrote:some cracking surfs at Cayton beach too, better quality than Croyde I reckon!

nae chance pal

pumphouse or bunkers ? pumphouse is almost always a closeout. bunkers is hella good when its on though, not quite as good as croyde. cayton can be heavy at times ill give you that.

been fucking nothing in the deen other than the cold

Haha, Bunkers! Had couple of amazing sessions there last week. Solid, hollow and offshore! Lovely! Bit like decent Croyde but with 1/4 as many people on it! :lol: :P I think I can count the number of decent Croyde days on 1 hand from this year, though had a good couple of days there a week or so back.

South coast beckons for me tomorrow, could get used to this not-working lark :p

10 years ago the banks at bunkers were perfect from waist high to double head,they have just started to get sorted out properly after the bad storm surge we had 3-4 years ago,as for the pumphouse it's always been fickle,must be 6-7 years ago since I had it really good,just a shame cause when it works it's great

Briggfoot was it you I was having a stumble with getting out of a right hander Friday lunch time
future primitive

Postby briggfoot » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:17 am

Briggfoot was it you I was having a stumble with getting out of a right hander Friday lunch time

Not this call-sign I don't think dude! Was definitely some lefts coming through where I got out, or maybe that's where I was going wrong!?!
Yeah there was 1 or maybe 2 decent banks the other day, let's hope they can survive the winter and improve!

Cheers
briggfoot

Postby future primitive » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:51 am

briggfoot wrote:

Not this call-sign I don't think dude! Was definitely some lefts coming through where I got out, or maybe that's where I was going wrong!?!
Yeah there was 1 or maybe 2 decent banks the other day, let's hope they can survive the winter and improve!

Cheers

Just I was chatting to a user on here on Friday lunch time on the local right-hand reef, but don't no there user name
future primitive

Postby Vince Noir » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:12 am

future primitive wrote:
10 years ago the banks at bunkers were perfect from waist high to double head,they have just started to get sorted out properly after the bad storm surge we had 3-4 years ago,as for the pumphouse it's always been fickle,must be 6-7 years ago since I had it really good,just a shame cause when it works it's great

had some sick waves at bunkers for sure. had some good ones at pumphouse too but getting caught on the inside on a heavy overhead day is pretty grim :lol:

had some ridiculously good hollow waves at sandsend, but that is a fickle wave if there ever was one.
Vince Noir

Postby Leven » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:50 pm

Overhead little drainers all on my own for a couple of hours. Sunshine too!
Leven

Postby nawgy1979 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:53 am

Leven wrote:Overhead little drainers all on my own for a couple of hours. Sunshine too!

Praa was rammed - it was like the North Coast on a weekend.
Don't kids have school to go to !?!
nawgy1979

Postby WeAreMemories » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:24 am

nawgy1979 wrote:
Leven wrote:Overhead little drainers all on my own for a couple of hours. Sunshine too!

Same at Bantham, crazy mid week crowd.
WeAreMemories

Postby Leven » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:42 am

nawgy1979 wrote:

N winds, it always will be! Crowds are mental in Cornwall these days. Went to surf what used to be a bit of a secret last winter, and stopped counting at 150 in the water.
Leven

Postby nawgy1979 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:24 pm

Leven wrote:
nawgy1979 wrote:

N winds, it always will be! Crowds are mental in Cornwall these days. Went to surf what used to be a bit of a secret last winter, and stopped counting at 150 in the water.

I know !
I don't think that FB and Instagram help as secrets are easily given !
nawgy1979

Postby Tomdiddlybomb » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:50 pm

I'd say the biggest thing is all these articles and things online about 'getting off the beaten track' and 'finding your own secret spot'
it used to be that everybody was happy to sit in the usual spot and surf, and now everyone's got in the mindset of wanting to explore, and find untapped barreling gems round the corner and all that crap.
chances are soon enough you'll be able to get the known spots all to yourself because everyone wants to be a bit different
that or we need a cull...
Tomdiddlybomb

Postby Vince Noir » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:25 pm

Tomdiddlybomb wrote:I'd say the biggest thing is all these articles and things online about 'getting off the beaten track' and 'finding your own secret spot'
it used to be that everybody was happy to sit in the usual spot and surf, and now everyone's got in the mindset of wanting to explore, and find untapped barreling gems round the corner and all that crap.

your average uk surfer cannot handle such conditions. the only reason these spots get busy is because people know about them. nobody wants to put the time and effort into finding one so they stick to what they know. the moment someone puts up a video of a reef break and talks about how its secret etc, then thats it. yorkshire videos they do this all the time and have the fucking harbour wall and the village in the video as well :roll:
Vince Noir

Postby Black » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:47 pm

Onshore is the new offshore!
Works for me anyway. :lol:
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Leven » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:58 pm

nawgy1979 wrote:
I know !
I don't think that FB and Instagram help as secrets are easily given !

Tell me about it. More than once I've seen someone taking photos at a little quiet spot, and told them to stop/delete them. There was a guy at Lev a couple of years ago who was taking photos, then posting them immediately when it was pumping all to get likes on his photography page. Fucker didn't even surf! Bring back localism....
Leven

Postby Tomdiddlybomb » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:41 pm

overhead semi-secret right point, not a breath of wind, fast and sectiony but my keel fish was perfect, so fast and I could sit wayyyy deeper than the other couple of guys in the water and be a bit cheeky :D couple of solid wrapping cutbacks, the longest/highest/fastest highline I've ever done, and one floater that I had absolutely no right to get away with. STOKED
Tomdiddlybomb

Postby ATTMFKH » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:38 am

4 hour drive for one wave - but what a wave :mrgreen: reeling head high right of green Atlantic juice that just kept bending & walling up in front of me. All my other waves were shite.

Me & the Janitor at the Point that Time Forgot - longshore current was dragging us back to where the car was parked - got out and walked nearly a mile up to the point and within 1/2 hour we were back to the cars again. Only lasted 90 mins, trying to keep away from getting smashed in the corner was proper hard work.
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Vince Noir » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:59 am

some lovely waves at fittie last night for once. too busy, thought i left all the crowds at home in bournemouth :evil:
Vince Noir

Postby Steviesee » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:15 pm

Vince Noir wrote:some lovely waves at fittie last night for once. too busy, thought i left all the crowds at home in bournemouth :evil:

Always busy now on a good swell, especially when it’s northerly as everyone ends up at the Fittie end. I got in before 12, just a few of us out then. Great session though!
Steviesee

Postby Black » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:24 pm

Lunchtime hit. First wave was enough to keep me happy. The rest were ok too. Only downer was I think I got stung by a Portuguese man o' war in a wipeout - handy hurty.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby tootes » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:57 pm

Two good surfs last weekend and a cheeky log session at small shallow reef on Monday - more on the way for Sunday. happy autumn.
wheels and water blog
Eco Kindle Blog
tootes

Postby ATTMFKH » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:47 pm

Good a good solo one at Swiggys old stomping ground off that N Swell - got a round of applause from a group of students & a 9/10 rating from an old geezer for one of my waves , according to the missus on the beach :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lovely lined up clean waves - easy surfing on the longboard. Minus 3 when I left the house ............ :mrgreen:
ATTMFKH

Postby tootes » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:23 pm

it. just. keeps. coming.

Sunday was a bit special. Hefty swell, broken boards and I nearly took a two wave hold down. In amongst it all I picked off a piece of perfection - nay a vision of perfection off the bottom..roll back.. I Stuck the rail in and made the drop on my perfect wave, a better surfer would have stalled for a stand up tube no doubt but I just accelerated and accelerated and hit the shoulder at a zillion miles an hour, started making in-human noises (which in hindsight were mildly embarrassing), pulled a wide cuttie and worked the inside before a face in hands drama queen finish. The good thing about being an extremely poorly travelled surfer is you can have the wave of your life just down the road.

Last hour there were just 4 of us in and the other three were far better than I, I had to concede the bigger cleaner waves (read I started to shoulder hop) but it was magic watching them take off under the lip. Last wave I saw after getting out and before tearing my eyes away was a clean barrel across the reef..

Monday was ok again, got a bit of advice on technique in the water as well which I never turn down - more to think about. more on the way.
wheels and water blog
Eco Kindle Blog
tootes

Postby danny1 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:25 pm

nice tootes . nice reading
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby tootes » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:36 pm

Cheers Danny

Got in on Sunday morning, howling offshore winds but some nice waves. It was getting silly shallow at the end.

my eyes won't dry.
wheels and water blog
Eco Kindle Blog
tootes

Postby danny1 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:40 pm

its been none stop for a month!
danny1

Postby ATTMFKH » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:15 pm

Wee sneaky one this morning with Harky & Storm Caroline - fast waves but not a lot of shape. Couple of good ones to keep the faith. Got board ripped out my hands at the jump off & had to dive in and swim - could have been nasty. Last time I mis-timed it I dived onto dry rocks and got a rainbow coloured hip for my troubles :-)
ATTMFKH

Postby danny1 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:05 pm

best ever autumn/ winter

6ft slab session x 3
danny1

Postby tootes » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:55 pm

danny1 wrote:best ever autumn/ winter

6ft slab session x 3

Agreed, difficult to reflect on my last post on the 23rd and know what to say. Sunday first thing was better - best waves I have seen up here, got covered a couple of times and had one across the reef which on reflection we figured if I made that first section I must have been in it, I made the section with so much speed to burn on exit, didn't get the vision but I was just trying to make it. Amazing wave. The reef was breaking perfect like that for about an hour.

did you go to king of the point they were running at C and Cayton Danny?
wheels and water blog
Eco Kindle Blog
tootes

Previous

Return to General