MSW hospital ward

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

what bits of you body are injured at this moment?

head
4%
eye
2%
ear
4%
nose
2%
neck
10%
shoulder
13%
chest
4%
arm
4%
elbow
4%
wrist
7%
hand
4%
stomach
2%
groin
2%
thigh
1%
knee
12%
calf
4%
anke
7%
foot
7%
internal
2%
stomach bug
6%

Total votes : 284

Re: MSW hospital ward

Postby new_tangled » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:56 pm

Two inches lower could have been very nasty indeed :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
new_tangled

Postby jp246 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:00 pm

Nice breasts. Bit hairy though.
jp246

Postby Underdog » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:18 pm

Bollocks.
About 2 weeks ago I thought I was surfing consistently at the best I've ever managed.

Then, every surf I seemed to go backwards. Realised the problem was my pop up; not getting the front foot through properly and ended up too far back on the board.
Couldn't work out why this was happening.
A couple of surfs ago I realised my lower back was a bit stiff and but didn't make the connection.
This morning at Godrevy the back gave up totally. Fluffed about 3 or 4 easy take offs, pain got worse and worse and ended up coming in after less that an hour :-(

"Walked" ( :roll: ) back to the car bent double like I was searching for lost coins :cry:

4 x Ibuprofen, 2 ltrs Cider, and an afternoon laying on a hard floor later and I can't see me getting in the water in the immediate future.
Bollocks. :evil:
Godrevy; Just like surfing. but smaller (and without the power)
Underdog

Postby majordom » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:23 pm

you could always take up SUP !
majordom

Postby Underdog » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:49 pm

majordom wrote:you could always take up SUP !

Ha Ha, did consider it but the cost is prohibitive (and I'd never get the fucker off the roof with this back :oops: )

Looks like it will have to be Sponging..............cheap...... with the added bonus of negligible skill requirements :lol: :lol:
Underdog

Postby Black » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:41 pm

new_tangled wrote:Image
Who took that photo? Deserves a medal! What wetsuit stops at the top of your buttocks????

UD in my experience sponging puts more stress on your back & Ibuprofen needs to be taken repeatedly.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby new_tangled » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:39 pm

It's a kinda gangsta low rider look, all the NYC surfer rock it!

My mate Phil too the photo ... "Finally I'll have something good to put on facebook" he said. :roll:
new_tangled

Postby Underdog » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:49 pm

Arsebook. :lol:
Underdog

Postby new_tangled » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:13 pm

^^ :-D I refrained from putting that in my original post knowing someone couldn't resist! Nice!!

U-dog, I hurt my upper back the other week (well 3/4 weeks ago), duck-diving a wave, slowly my neck locked up and I couldn't look over my shoulder anymore, was difficult to paddle-in between the sets (was low tide at croyde and quite hollow) but managed it somehow. Over the next couple of hours it got tighter and tighter. I saw the doc and he said cos there was no trauma, tingling in my arms etc it was a musculo-sceletal injury and would right itself in 1-6 weeks, the advice was ibuprofen and keep mobile but avoid heavy lifting and sports.

Is pretty well OK now, am back surfing and doing yoga etc. Had to give the North Devon half maraton a miss though. I saw a sports corrective osteopath for some violence on my back and had a massage too, but I think most of the healing was by taking it easy and keeping mobile.

I hope you are better soon, is v frustraiting to not be able to surf or do the other things you like doing so you have my sympathy!
new_tangled

Postby thedeadly » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:35 pm

Bacterial Lung Infection

got diagnosed with this last night - had it for a week so far, getting worse

anyone else had this before, its horrible !
thedeadly

Postby roberdy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:00 pm

thedeadly wrote:Bacterial Lung Infection

got diagnosed with this last night - had it for a week so far, getting worse

anyone else had this before, its horrible !

Easy on the biftas then big man!
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby ATTMFKH » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:32 pm

This week .... I am mostly taking Augmentin ........... shitty ear infection.

Plus a bruise that looks like a love bite and a bruised line , just to the left of me bollocks ...... got it on Sunday on East Coast , paddled for a wave I shouldn't have , going over the falls I tried to throw my board to the side , managed to throw it in front of me , fin up and landed right on that lovely 8" Rainbow :cry:
ATTMFKH

Postby bigfeller » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:58 pm

Initial injury to left forearm in April 09 , got smashed into riverbanks when surfing the Bore. No prob except a little stiffness at first, but it didn't ease up. In fact it got worse until October 09 by which time I could barely lift my phone left handed., so I consulted the doc. By March 2010 I had keyhole surgery, which showed I had destroyed all cartilage in my wrist... the stuff that stops the ulna from tapping away at the small bones of the hand...that's rather painful when that happens.

Last time I surfed was on the Bore at the end of March last year, with mates keeping an eye out for me. Finally had surgery to fix it in September. That involved the surgeon shortening my ulna, so I now have a nicezip mark along my left forearm to remind me never to take any wave for granted.

I should be ok to surf again in about a month's time.

The moral of the tale is, if you get an injury and it doesn't reolve within a week, get it looked at. NOT doing that meant I had limited surfing for a year, followed by no surfing for another year.

And hopefully this is the last time I post anything about it. I've had to sit out so many good sessions because of it. I used to top up my income with work as a percussionist, and for a long while I couldn't play at all. My left hand will possibly never be quite as good as it was, and I'm certainly not the musician I used to be, although I hope that will resolve.Image
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pho ... =701952753
bigfeller

Postby thedeadly » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:18 pm

ATTMFKH wrote:This week .... I am mostly taking Augmentin ........... shitty ear infection.

I got them too, big fekkers aint they !
thedeadly

Postby J L » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:13 am

sciatica...........caused by a prolapsed disk (or possibly 2) not been in the water since late July, every time I think things are improving it gives me more of the same and I am back to square one.

been looked at by various "experts" who have made feck all difference.
:-(
J L

Postby roberdy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:08 pm

Just waiting on a referral to get my neck looked at, think is originally linked to rotator cuff issues from the last few years which I thought I had licked. Went to see a physio in September about some tingling in right arm while surfing and he went medieval on my back, really hard manipulation. rather than fixing the problem seems to have made it a lot worse, I get pins and needles when lying on my board paddling, get them when I am standing up straight with my hands in my poskets, I can get them when I am sitting at my desk if I am not careful and I get them in airplane seats unless I sit in a certain way, which is not much good when I am commuting to bloody manchester and/or Sweden every fricken week.

Been for four sessions with my Chiro and she said at the last one I need soft tissue scans as her work is not helping it, gutted :( she reckons it is likely disc damage or inflammation of the tissue round the nerve root in my neck, I am praying for the latter to be honest, been rubbing in Ibuleve and voltarol gel and taking Ibuprufen when surfing but doesn't help that much.

Not a happy bunny right now as it goes but still surfing while waiting for a referral for an MRI.
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby ATTMFKH » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:30 pm

^^ Man of your age should be thinking about retirement from surfing :lol: :lol:
ATTMFKH

Postby roberdy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:38 pm

ATTMFKH wrote:^^ Man of your age should be thinking about retirement from surfing :lol: :lol:

"pot calling kettle, come in kettle"!! ya auld bast ye :)

A man of your advancing years should be thinking about taking up sponging, again! :wink:
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby coxie » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:49 pm

Not really a surfing injury but i was at work and needed a dump, layed down a log and then realised i had run out of toilet paper. Only one thing for it and that was do the trousers round the ankles waddle round the workshop to try and find some paper.
I just grabbed a loose bit of kitchen roll off the side and went back into the bog to clean up. It was then that i experience probably the worst pain i have ever felt, way worse than breaking my wrist.
In short i would never advise anyone to rub their ring piece with a bit of kitchen roll soaked in styrene, i came very close to passing out.
coxie

Postby J L » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:29 pm

coxie wrote:Not really a surfing injury but i was at work and needed a dump, layed down a log and then realised i had run out of toilet paper. Only one thing for it and that was do the trousers round the ankles waddle round the workshop to try and find some paper.
I just grabbed a loose bit of kitchen roll off the side and went back into the bog to clean up. It was then that i experience probably the worst pain i have ever felt, way worse than breaking my wrist.
In short i would never advise anyone to rub their ring piece with a bit of kitchen roll soaked in styrene, i came very close to passing out.

fucking classic :lol: :lol: :lol:
J L

Postby ATTMFKH » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:56 pm

^^^^ That shits funny :lol: :lol: :lol:
ATTMFKH

Postby Black » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:36 pm

rub their ring piece with a bit of kitchen roll soaked in styrene

I think they call it "shapers bum"
Black

Postby PapaWoolacombe » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:42 pm

Dammm! that must have near burnt ur ring off!!

Almost recovered from a cracked rib after trying to do "the fish" off a kicker ramp in the snow over xmas .. ramp plus drop off was about 10ft... didn;t land too well :p :oops:
PapaWoolacombe

Postby pst » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:09 am

Had surgery to fix my regularly dislocating shoulder at the end of November. I'm officially out of the sling now, and starting to move my arm a bit. Physio is hard work, still can't surf til May.
pst

Postby skasteppa » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:56 pm

March PST...MARCH!! :wink:
skasteppa

Postby pst » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:59 pm

skasteppa wrote:March PST...MARCH!! :wink:

haha wishful dude. i'm aiming for arpil, you need to come for a few nights when i go away!! :mrgreen:
pst

Postby debs » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:16 pm

i am posting as i surfed lobos, fuerta solid 5ft/6ft sets & somehow escaped with no injuries...i dont mix well with rocks or surfboards or anything surf related...you know my history...i am still in shock.... :lol:
debs

Postby Black » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:26 pm

^^^Good news there Debs, that must put a smile on your face.

Must have pulled my left shoulder surfing yesterday so no surf today for me :-(
Never normally have shoulder problems but they've both been giving me a bit of gyp recently, hoping its not old man syndrome.
Black

Postby debs » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:46 pm

oops... i forgot 1st day of trip...did retear the inside of my knee...did the classic land half on half off the board & felt my leg leave swiftly on the board...an old skateboarding injury but i stuck a bit of chopped off wetsuit leg as a support took loads of pain killers & refused to aknowledge it had happened...still in denial... :roll:
debs

Postby Black » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:45 pm

debs wrote:..still in denial... :roll:
I thought you were in fuerte

:oops:
Black

PreviousNext

Return to General