MSW hospital ward

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

what bits of you body are injured at this moment?

head
5%
eye
2%
ear
3%
nose
2%
neck
10%
shoulder
13%
chest
3%
arm
4%
elbow
4%
wrist
7%
hand
4%
stomach
2%
groin
2%
thigh
1%
knee
11%
calf
4%
anke
7%
foot
7%
internal
2%
stomach bug
6%

Total votes : 288

Re: MSW hospital ward

Postby The Decorator » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:51 am

After 41years of hanging onto the side of my bowels doing nothing for a living my appendix decided on Sunday morning to make a bid for notoriety. By Sunday evening I was doubled over. Spent the night in Nambour hospital in Queensland having morphine injected in to my tummy then got knocked out at 0900 for a laparoscopy appendectimy (sp?). It hadn't burst but was pretty unhappy by all accounts.

Back home now feeling beaten up with three little scars on my belly. Hurts to burp laugh and fart but can walk around and Surgeon seemed to think I should be back in the water inside 2 weeks.
The Decorator

Postby roberdy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:32 am

The Decorator wrote:After 41years of hanging onto the side of my bowels doing nothing for a living my appendix decided on Sunday morning to make a bid for notoriety. By Sunday evening I was doubled over. Spent the night in Nambour hospital in Queensland having morphine injected in to my tummy then got knocked out at 0900 for a laparoscopy appendectimy (sp?). It hadn't burst but was pretty unhappy by all accounts.

Back home now feeling beaten up with three little scars on my belly. Hurts to burp laugh and fart but can walk around and Surgeon seemed to think I should be back in the water inside 2 weeks.

Glad you are doing alright Mr Decorator, appendix giving out can be pretty nasty! Hope you are back in the water sharpish!
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby WeAreMemories » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:36 pm

WeAreMemories wrote:Currently have a black and blue left ankle, following getting fcuked at Aggy last Thursday. Guessing it will be a good week longer before I will be back in.

Week longer, I wish. Have not surfed since 10th Feb and currently having Physio :evil:
WeAreMemories

Postby ATTMFKH » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:13 pm

1st day physio for me on rotator cuff ......... guy gets the shoulder model out , I ask if it's to scale , he says yes , I said it looks small - he said it is , it's a scale model , oh , that's not what I meant to ask you ............... descended into a laugh fest,

Big rubber band and an A4 sheet of exercises ................. fucking state of the NHS :roll: :-)
ATTMFKH

Postby Black » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:47 pm

My arm got badly wrenched last night - might have to chop it off.
Black

Postby Chris F » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:26 am

Pulled same fucking muscle between shoudler blades last night. Felt a bit tweaky after a moderately brutal bouldering session, then woke up at 2am in agony. Had to go downstairs and snack on some diclofenac and sit on the sofa until the pain subsided enough to get back to sleep.
Chris F

Postby roberdy » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:52 am

ATTMFKH wrote:1st day physio for me on rotator cuff ......... guy gets the shoulder model out , I ask if it's to scale , he says yes , I said it looks small - he said it is , it's a scale model , oh , that's not what I meant to ask you ............... descended into a laugh fest,

Big rubber band and an A4 sheet of exercises ................. fucking state of the NHS :roll: :-)

Interesting and not to shit you up mate but the rotator cuff problems I have had for the last 5 years have all miraculously gone away since getting the offending disc removed and an implant put in.... Cannot believe how much my shoulders have all settled down now, I was 5 weeks post op yesterday, am pretty much off pain relief and am feeling stronger each day. Still not allowed to do any impact stuff as bone hasn't fused with implant yet but when it does it will be super strong and should last the rest of my days :)

Physio regime is pretty full on atm tho, just shoulder/rotator exercises about 4 times a day! Back on the pilates ball and balance board too for core strength, dunno where I will find the time once I am back to work!
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Chris F » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:58 am

get a roll of theraband off amazon. Use it anywhere, any time.
Chris F

Postby ATTMFKH » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:26 pm

roberdy wrote:
ATTMFKH wrote:1st day physio for me on rotator cuff ......... guy gets the shoulder model out , I ask if it's to scale , he says yes , I said it looks small - he said it is , it's a scale model , oh , that's not what I meant to ask you ............... descended into a laugh fest,

Interesting and not to shit you up mate but the rotator cuff problems I have had for the last 5 years have all miraculously gone away since getting the offending disc removed and an implant put in.... Cannot believe how much my shoulders have all settled down now, I was 5 weeks post op yesterday, am pretty much off pain relief and am feeling stronger each day. Still not allowed to do any impact stuff as bone hasn't fused with implant yet but when it does it will be super strong and should last the rest of my days :)

Physio regime is pretty full on atm tho, just shoulder/rotator exercises about 4 times a day! Back on the pilates ball and balance board too for core strength, dunno where I will find the time once I am back to work!

Interesting that DJ, 'cos the physio guy was saying they had a visit from a world expert surgeon on shoulders and she had come to the conclusion that there may not be any advantage in having surgery at all , the post operative lay off from whatever gives you the grief was probably as good as anything ....... difficult to bin it though for a few months :?
ATTMFKH

Postby Leven » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:06 pm

Currently 2 months out of the water and going crazy!

Came back from a trip with a dislocated knee, torn MCL, damaged cartilage, and as it turns out, my knee never went back into line properly. Saw a Doc today who said:

Doc: If you'd come to us straight away, we'd have locked your knee straight with the patella in the right position to start the recovery.

Me: I did, well, within a few days of doing it anyway. You sent me for an X Ray, and an MRI, and gave me some crutches.

Doc: Oh. Ah Well. So do you want a physio referral to help get your knee back into alignment?

Me: No, I've done that already myself, and he's look at the MRI report.

Doc: Ok. Well Done. Anything else I can help with?

Interestingly, the physio told me what I've done, how to tape it in to place, and what I can and can't do to rehabiltate. Moral of the story? Physio all the way!

Also, anyone ever read PAin Free by Peter Egoscue? Incredible book. I'd recommend it for anyone out injured or on the road to recovery!
Leven

Postby roberdy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:28 pm

ATTMFKH wrote:Interesting that DJ, 'cos the physio guy was saying they had a visit from a world expert surgeon on shoulders and she had come to the conclusion that there may not be any advantage in having surgery at all , the post operative lay off from whatever gives you the grief was probably as good as anything ....... difficult to bin it though for a few months :?

You have a point mate. Fortunately I saw both my Physio and Surgeon yesterday, the physio said I am doing very, very well, probably as I have been commited to doing my exercises every dam day, she says as long as I avoid impact sports I can pretty much do what I want, including going for mellow surfs to start with in the next couple of weeks, building up as my strength returns STOKED AS FECK!!! Thought I was out of the game for 6 months ffs, it's been 7 weeks today since the op :D

When I saw the surgeon last night he sent me for some x-rays to check the implant is exactly where it is supposed to be, compared them with the x-rays taken right after surgery and the implant has not moved one micron and you can see where the bone is already fusing with it. Surgeon agreed with the physio and said I can get back in the water over the next couple of weeks (if there is a wave) but to take it easy so I reckon a couple of mellow longboard sessions and then Thurso East ;-) (or not).

Anyway, I feel better than I have in about 5 or 6 years I think, still occasional aching in shoulders but the exercises the physio gave mne have cured all the rotator problems I had and I think are strengthening me for the future nicely. Been hitting the gym pretty hard since last week and news from yesterday means I can now start to throw in the upper body and mobility moves I need to get strong for paddling again yee-fricken-haaa :)
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Black » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:29 pm

^^^^Good to hear improvements after surgery, my shoulder is doing better in the current flat spell too!! Watch out for docs who don't surf as I think they don't have a clue what goes down in a wipeout, they're thinking "yeah a bit of sitting on a board in the sea with sunshine could be beneficial" :roll:
Black

Postby ATTMFKH » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:55 pm

roberdy wrote:
ATTMFKH wrote:Interesting that DJ, 'cos the physio guy was saying they had a visit from a world expert surgeon on shoulders and she had come to the conclusion that there may not be any advantage in having surgery at all , the post operative lay off from whatever gives you the grief was probably as good as anything ....... difficult to bin it though for a few months :?

You have a point mate. Fortunately I saw both my Physio and Surgeon yesterday, the physio said I am doing very, very well, probably as I have been commited to doing my exercises every dam day, she says as long as I avoid impact sports I can pretty much do what I want, including going for mellow surfs to start with in the next couple of weeks, building up as my strength returns STOKED AS FECK!!! Thought I was out of the game for 6 months ffs, it's been 7 weeks today since the op :D

When I saw the surgeon last night he sent me for some x-rays to check the implant is exactly where it is supposed to be, compared them with the x-rays taken right after surgery and the implant has not moved one micron and you can see where the bone is already fusing with it. Surgeon agreed with the physio and said I can get back in the water over the next couple of weeks (if there is a wave) but to take it easy so I reckon a couple of mellow longboard sessions and then Thurso East ;-) (or not).

Anyway, I feel better than I have in about 5 or 6 years I think, still occasional aching in shoulders but the exercises the physio gave mne have cured all the rotator problems I had and I think are strengthening me for the future nicely. Been hitting the gym pretty hard since last week and news from yesterday means I can now start to throw in the upper body and mobility moves I need to get strong for paddling again yee-fricken-haaa :)

Good news mate - glad you're on the way to getting wet , watch out for the spring low bounces off the reef :lol:

I was back at physio this morning, back to square 1 for me with rotator cuff - 4 weeks more then cortisone injections if not responding :roll:
ATTMFKH

Postby roberdy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:29 pm

ATTMFKH wrote:Good news mate - glad you're on the way to getting wet , watch out for the spring low bounces off the reef :lol:

I was back at physio this morning, back to square 1 for me with rotator cuff - 4 weeks more then cortisone injections if not responding :roll:

Thanks ATT, not gonna be going anywhere near any reeefs for a good while yet, will probably avoid heavy beachies if we ever get any more swell on this coast at least for another month or so, don't wanna tempt fate! So just a few mellow longboard sessions I reckon, if Banff point gets a wave that would be perfect but as I am back to work in Sweden next week and looks like I will be there every week until Novemeber now I am not sure when I am gonna get time for waves, and it's the summer flatness upon us :( fingers crossed I might do the 500 mile round trip to surf small melvich sometime soon! ;-)
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Vince Noir » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:01 pm

left shoulder clicks everytime i bring it under my board when paddling. also got a sea ulcer now :?
Vince Noir

Postby Chris F » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:32 am

Vince, I'm no physio I would put money on that being an imbalance due to overdeveloped back / shoulder muscles.

Read this article, aimed mainly at climbers, but the problem is common to both sports;

http://www.theshortspan.com/features/in ... oulder.htm
Chris F

Postby Vince Noir » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:07 pm

cheers man

i was having physio sessions cos of a muscular imbalance in my shoulder last year. i have dodgy shoulders i guess, and it seems that any physical exercise requires a good warming up of them

think i shall start doing those stretches again. teach me to do press ups with my gf underneath me hanging on like a koala bear without warming up :lol:
Vince Noir

Postby Chris F » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:21 am

You can get theraband on amazon. I recommend it as it's really helped me and I have dodgy shoulder syndrome too.
Chris F

Postby Vince Noir » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:45 pm

ive got a few from the hospital around somewhere..had a surf today and it was feeling good and hasnt got any worse atleast :-)
Vince Noir

Postby Ferral » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:39 pm

so far this year-

5-6 weeks off with a bad shoulder
3-weeks out with a badly infected cut and bruised bone
3 weeks surfing at 50% due to a tweaked knee
and now estimated 1-2months out of the sea waiting for a perforated ear drum to heal

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Ferral

Postby manbearpig » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:12 pm

Ferral wrote:so far this year-

5-6 weeks off with a bad shoulder
3-weeks out with a badly infected cut and bruised bone
3 weeks surfing at 50% due to a tweaked knee
and now estimated 1-2months out of the sea waiting for a perforated ear drum to heal

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

man you been towing teahupoo again?? that shits baaad for your health, and its cutting down your surfing time!

but seriously how the hell do the pros hurl themselves into death pits all day long, and always seem to pop up the other side absolutely fine!!!
manbearpig

Postby rodent » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:08 pm

It catchs up with ya in the end, the pro's have doctors that inject them with wonder stuff to keep em going, if only mine would do the same :shock:
FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Postby mal-nourished » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:33 pm

travis logie had a cortisone to get him through his semi yesterday did you see the bruise on matt wilkos leg it was a corker..
mal-nourished

Postby rodent » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:38 pm

How many hoops does a normal bloke have to go through to get a cortisone injection :shock:
FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Postby mal-nourished » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:44 pm

try do without rodent they just mask rather than repair i had two over a 6 month period and ended up worse off than when i started try get a good physio on it if you get any niggly injuries or rest..
.. 8)
mal-nourished

Postby Chai Wallah » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:59 pm

Not sure whether she uses MSW but Keela is certainly in the hospital after a face plant on a reef

Chai Wallah

Postby mal-nourished » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:55 pm

bit of lime and some salt ...ouch thats a nasteee.. :shock:
mal-nourished

Postby surfinsmiler » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:38 pm

Holy fuck that's gonna need a new passport photo! Hope she gets those stitch-plasters rather than actual stitches.Not so scarring.Then again the gash is a bit too canyon like for plasters.Tamayo Perry's head-board collision at Pipe is even worse to look at.Something like 50 odd staples.Yeuch! Hats off to them for having the cojones to charge those breaks.
Started out in life with nothing and I've still got most of it left!
surfinsmiler

Postby rodent » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:24 pm

Chai thanks for that :puke:
FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Postby wjp1 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:27 am

Arh bollocks
Been diagnosed with Bursotis/impingement of the bursa on my left shoulder. Its been hurting for a while and the physio didn't help. Been told to rest it for a month :-(
Gutted as my surfing was just coming together and a big swell is just hitting as I type.
Anyone had this - any tips on getting it better quickly other than avoid overhead movements and inflammatory drugs? I also suspect this might be something to do with with paddling technique as well as my shoulder instability (due to partial dislocation of my collar bone).
Gutted.
wjp1

PreviousNext

Return to General