Surf 'themed' tattoos

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Re: Surf 'themed' tattoos

Postby Jimmy Slade » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:00 pm

Does anyone remeber the woman, who sadly passed away a while ago, who had to have her breasts removed and had tatoos put all over her chest it was in an article in the surfers path a few years ago. remember thinking they were impressive tattoos 8)
say it loud im back and im proud
Jimmy Slade

Postby twisted_tinkerbell » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:04 pm

Mabolsa Ritchie wrote:.

This is quite nice

I hate the tribal bit and dragon. Just the surfer and skull look quite cool.
...waiting for the turning point
twisted_tinkerbell

Postby twisted_tinkerbell » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:29 pm

Jimmy Slade wrote:i like to see stuff thats original or means something in particular to the wearer

I totally agree. My tattooist has been working on a piece for a skater and its amazing. Its a massive skull on his back but the skulls head is flipped open on hinges and loads of little skateboards with wings are flying out of the skull. Its sounds and looks completely mental but so much work has gone into it and the idea is awesome. I'll have to try and get a pic of it.

I've just had a mexican sugar skull added to my tattoo sleeve on inside of my arm (lined only...no colour yet so it looks cack). I had a flip skateboard years ago with a similar design so I've always wanted one. It will look lovely when the colour is done. I love skulls :-D

twisted_tinkerbell

Postby new_tangled » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:19 pm

twisted_tinkerbell wrote:
new_tangled wrote:I'd like to have a crack at the Zombie on the surfboard design (I know it's not Celtic but I do other stuff too...) ... Afraid there is a fee but I give 10% to surfers against sewerage (for all my art works) so you can feel extra good as well as have a cool new tattoo !!

F**king cool, NT! I want it to be like the style of Jim Phillips like this:

If your fee isn't too much then yes, yes, YES! PM me :-D

PM'd :-D :-D :-D
new_tangled

Postby tatosven » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:00 pm

About the celtic thing. 20 years ago a celtic tattoo design generally meant you liked new model army-it just did for various reasons but now they are worn by eveyone and done by every artist, twenty years ago I can think of 3 artist in the uk who did it well. Make sure you check photos of any potential artist, look for healed photos not freshly done ones as even crap tattoos look good when first done and also make sure they are healed before you scrape a wetsuit over it and go into salt water. If the artist is a genuine artist tell him or her what you want done and let them design it for you, that is after all their job if they are genuine custom tattoo artists and also get tattooing done for positive reasons not for closure or to commemorate your old buddy from nam or whatever also be open to different ideas from what you think is best and be prepared to travel to a good artist rather than just the local guy because it is convenient.
tatosven

Postby Werwulf1919 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:32 am

tatosven wrote:About the celtic thing. 20 years ago a celtic tattoo design generally meant you liked new model army-it just did for various reasons but now they are worn by eveyone and done by every artist, twenty years ago I can think of 3 artist in the uk who did it well. Make sure you check photos of any potential artist, look for healed photos not freshly done ones as even crap tattoos look good when first done and also make sure they are healed before you scrape a wetsuit over it and go into salt water. If the artist is a genuine artist tell him or her what you want done and let them design it for you, that is after all their job if they are genuine custom tattoo artists and also get tattooing done for positive reasons not for closure or to commemorate your old buddy from nam or whatever also be open to different ideas from what you think is best and be prepared to travel to a good artist rather than just the local guy because it is convenient.

True...i believe this guy is supposed to good and its not far for me-
http://www.micktomo.com/

ps
Love the mex skull tinks...reminds me of the early mexican dead stuff the offspring used on their covers.
Cheers
http://mohawkeastcoastsurf.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/edmohawk1919
Werwulf1919

Postby kieranct » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:16 pm

I'm thinking about having a tattoo done, not very creative so thinking about copying the one dave rastovich has

Going to wait a while though, if I think it is a good idea in a year then i'll have it done.

And the symbol is an ancient symbol for a "waterman". One who surfs, swims, dives, etc.. in the ocean (as well as rivers and lakes). The top of the symbol represents broad shoulders. The sword down the middle represents strength. And the two sides represent right and wrong.
kieranct

Postby twisted_tinkerbell » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:28 am

kieranct wrote:I'm thinking about having a tattoo done, not very creative so thinking about copying the one dave rastovich has

Going to wait a while though, if I think it is a good idea in a year then i'll have it done.

And the symbol is an ancient symbol for a "waterman". One who surfs, swims, dives, etc.. in the ocean (as well as rivers and lakes). The top of the symbol represents broad shoulders. The sword down the middle represents strength. And the two sides represent right and wrong.

Where would you put this? Arm, leg, chest? I think this would look so nice on the leg, IMHO
twisted_tinkerbell

Postby kieranct » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:13 am

I'm thinking about having it done on inside of wrist, easily coverable with a long sleeved shirt for work etc.

K
kieranct

Postby droog79 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:37 am

i've had a couple of peeps interested in using my stuff...but no-one has commited skin yet...not sure how much detail you can get/how close & thin lines can be?

LIKE MY FACEBOOK PAGE- I do! http://www.facebook.com/droog79
SPORADIC BLOG: http://www.droog79.blogspot.com/
droog79

Postby tatosven » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:58 am

droog79 wrote:i've had a couple of peeps interested in using my stuff...but no-one has commited skin yet...not sure how much detail you can get/how close & thin lines can be?

It is doable if that is a word, just depends on the size etc for the lining then who actually does it as skills do vary from tattooist to tattoo artist. I can see one or two artists who are actually artist first and tattooists second appreciating your work. Try to appreciate that the tattooing industry is STILL dominated by the not so educated so education and research are both very important as well as initial design when getting a good tattoo.
tatosven

Postby twisted_tinkerbell » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:11 am

Droog, I think your designs are perfect for tattoos. I was considering asking you about the octopus design. I love that! Its on the back burner though at the moment while I get my sleeve fisnished :confused2:

Tatosven, I agree. Luckily my tattooist doesn't limit himself to one style of tattooing but he will say no if he thinks the design will look shit or that he won't enjoy doing it.
twisted_tinkerbell

Postby kieranct » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:46 pm

Does anyone remeber the woman, who sadly passed away a while ago, who had to have her breasts removed and had tatoos put all over her chest it was in an article in the surfers path a few years ago. remember thinking they were impressive tattoos 8)

Shit, yeah, I remember that, didn't hear that she had passed away, sorry to hear about that. A really inspirational peice, I was ill myself at the time, if I remember she went surfing with some turtles around soon after having it done, felt like a long way off at the time but knew I wanted the same feeling, finally got to do it myself at Noosa last year.

RIP
kieranct

Postby twisted_tinkerbell » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:18 pm

kieranct wrote:I'm thinking about having it done on inside of wrist, easily coverable with a long sleeved shirt for work etc.

K

IMHO, it will look cack really small. The lines are quite thick so it'll not translate very well on the skin. I bet the tattooist (if he's good) suggests you go bigger. You're best off putting it somewhere you can cover it properly if you need to. Also, the wrist can be a bit spicey to tattoo. They hurt anyway but it will be very painful on the wrist. Good luck! :wink:
twisted_tinkerbell

Postby tatosven » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:07 am

twisted_tinkerbell wrote:
kieranct wrote:I'm thinking about having it done on inside of wrist, easily coverable with a long sleeved shirt for work etc.

K

IMHO, it will look cack really small. The lines are quite thick so it'll not translate very well on the skin. I bet the tattooist (if he's good) suggests you go bigger. You're best off putting it somewhere you can cover it properly if you need to. Also, the wrist can be a bit spicey to tattoo. They hurt anyway but it will be very painful on the wrist. Good luck! :wink:

True you do not want it too small as lines do blend over time but oder tattoos do have a charm IF they are done properly in the first place. As for pain-be a man and try not to cry too much, have you thought about the inside forearm :?: Actually not too painful, my forearms hut but the insides were not as bad as I thought, shin bones are nice.
tatosven

Postby REO » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:29 pm

I liked the way my fingers twitched when having my wrist done :O) :lol:
Spent most of my life surfing...wasted the rest
REO

Postby twisted_tinkerbell » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:13 pm

REO wrote:I liked the way my fingers twitched when having my wrist done :O) :lol:

:puke:
twisted_tinkerbell

Postby tatosven » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:47 pm

REO wrote:I liked the way my fingers twitched when having my wrist done :O) :lol:

Get the center of your chest done, feels like you are having your throat tattooed or drilled. :oops:
tatosven

Postby twisted_tinkerbell » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:50 pm

Tato, have you had your ribs done? I'm planning a large piece on my left side when my arm is done. I'm getting it done no matter what but I'm getting mixed reactions. Some (mostly male) say its totally grim while others (mostly female) said its a spicey but not that bad. I've never used the numbing cream before but I'm tempted for the ribs :oops:
twisted_tinkerbell

Postby Jory » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:31 pm

can't comment on the ribs but having to stay out of the water for two weeks when the surf is pumping is pretty painful!
Jory

Postby Jimmy Slade » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:39 pm

surf themed tatoos ....... thinking of having ten toes tattoed on the end of my nose ...
say it loud im back and im proud
Jimmy Slade

Postby twisted_tinkerbell » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:40 pm

Agreed, Jory. Getting inked releases the same amount of buzz as surfing for me so good for flat spells :-D but shit on the wallet! :cry:
twisted_tinkerbell

Postby Werwulf1919 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:23 pm

twisted_tinkerbell wrote:Tato, have you had your ribs done? I'm planning a large piece on my left side when my arm is done. I'm getting it done no matter what but I'm getting mixed reactions. Some (mostly male) say its totally grim while others (mostly female) said its a spicey but not that bad. I've never used the numbing cream before but I'm tempted for the ribs :oops:

Hey tinks...arms/shoulders/back/ankles all good but stop there...but 'no' to torso tattooing...in my humble opinion...btw i've decided on a 'viking' blk & grey tattoo now on my upper arm(inbetween my surfing designs already on)...i figured it would go well with the whole scarborough/danelaw thing...grrrrr :wink:
http://mohawkeastcoastsurf.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/edmohawk1919
Werwulf1919

Postby Jory » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:42 pm

twisted_tinkerbell wrote:Agreed, Jory. Getting inked releases the same amount of buzz as surfing for me so good for flat spells :-D but shit on the wallet! :cry:

If only i could time it for a flat spell, my guy has a 4-5 month waiting list so you have to take it when you can! He is worth the wait though!
Jory

Postby twisted_tinkerbell » Fri May 01, 2009 7:40 am

Jory wrote:
twisted_tinkerbell wrote:Agreed, Jory. Getting inked releases the same amount of buzz as surfing for me so good for flat spells :-D but shit on the wallet! :cry:

If only i could time it for a flat spell, my guy has a 4-5 month waiting list so you have to take it when you can! He is worth the wait though!

Same here but I'm on the top of his cancellations list... not sure if thats a good or a bad thing though :? Sorry wallet... :-|
twisted_tinkerbell

Postby test pilots bodyboarding » Fri May 01, 2009 8:42 am

heres my tat its only half complete ill stick up a better pic soon

i have a skull with a 8ball in the eye ( the tattooist designed the skull for my dvdcover for my second bodyboard film 3 years ago)

and a skyline with lightning and a rambow (which is the design to my third film tp2) round my wrist

but the skull is being blended into blue/green clouds once i get it finnish

since this pic ive had a bit more clouds and the detail on the skull put in

ps dont go surfing the day after you have it done it doesnt heal that well if u do :lol: :lol:
test pilots bodyboarding

Postby twisted_tinkerbell » Fri May 01, 2009 9:16 am

That's nice, man! I love skulls. I'll probably end up with too many skull tattoos :dontknow:
twisted_tinkerbell

Postby tatosven » Fri May 01, 2009 12:59 pm

You can never have too many skull tattoos-scientifically proven fact. Two weeks for healing before surfing again :?: Possivel, as for the ribs question, never had them done but I have seen tough guys getting them done and they did not look so good. Women are usually better at it than the boys-has to be said.
tatosven

Postby Jory » Sat May 02, 2009 10:33 am

maybe one for the girls
Jory

Postby tatosven » Sat May 02, 2009 9:58 pm

Jory wrote:Image

maybe one for the girls

Prefer girls with skull tattoos, nice work though, who is the guilty party :?:
tatosven

PreviousNext