Surfing during Pregnancy?

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Surfing during Pregnancy?

Postby PieMistress » Mon May 18, 2009 8:40 am

Hi Peeps,

Just wondering if any fellow female surfers continued surfing throughout their pregnancy?

I'm only 8 weeks gone but haven't been surfing since I found out (although am still doing plenty of other exercise). If I was a great surfer I would probably keep going but i'm not! Can stand up almost all of the time in the white water but not unbroken waves. I guess it's just the falling off and bashing myself that i'm a bit unsure about. I would ask the Doc but to be honest I know what they will say ... I'm guessing it's probably fine in the first 3 months or so but then less safe as the bubba gets bigger? Squeezing myself into my wetsuit will also become a mission soon!

Haven't a scooby - Any advice? Thanks :)
PieMistress

Re: Surfing during Pregnancy?

Postby Tractor_Boy » Mon May 18, 2009 8:44 am

Not really worth the risk..... you'd never forgive yourself if something happened.

Not easy now, but I'd suggest enjoying watching others and in a year you'll be back in.
Tractor_Boy

Postby militia » Mon May 18, 2009 8:47 am

My other half surfed until the bump got too big with both ours :-D . As long as you take it easy and not getting hammered in a heavy shorebreak, and just chillin - go for it.
I eat vagina like a fat kid eats cake
http://jonnygibbings.wordpress.com/
http://www.cuttingedgepress.co.uk/books/malice-in-blunderland/
militia

Postby debsnettley » Mon May 18, 2009 9:05 am

heya...congrats....
i surfed & boxed(no body shots)til i was bout 4months wit my first lad....then pop ups became pretty difficult for obvious reasons....but then then older men surfing at Saunton dont seem to have a problem :lol: i just became really protective over my bump & i began to think bout it with every pop up which slowed it all down so surfed really, really crap cuz of it...
there was a pro surfer, mite have been layne who surfed til full term....once i had my boy though i personally looked back & thought how i shouldnt have risked it & never would have forgiven myself...its just so easy to slip & its all the stomache & core area that takes the brunt of it...but thats just me...isnt it the after first timester 12 weeks when its all bit safer?? from memory....
i was back in the water when he was 8 weeks old so wasnt that long out the water neway...
with my 2nd baby i didnt exercise enough & put on 4 stone :oops: :oops: :oops: but swimming was good as it supports yr bump....i used to hang from the side of the pool for best part of an hour & baby loved the noises of the pool & used to respond to it...ended up having water births with both my boys(not in the public pool though :oops: )
i dunno if ne of the above helps atall, infact i can see it prob doesnt, i think its really down to your choice...
hope you are feeling well...enjoy your pregnancy, very special time...sometimes feel kinda sad I will never do it again...then i look at my quiver of boards & buy a new one instead!! :-D
debsnettley

Postby Tractor_Boy » Mon May 18, 2009 9:17 am

You buy a new baby? Isn't there a law against that?
Tractor_Boy

Postby debsnettley » Mon May 18, 2009 9:35 am

Tractor_Boy wrote:You buy a new baby? Isn't there a law against that?

ha ha :lol: ....a new board!!! now on number 7 :lol:
debsnettley

Postby PieMistress » Mon May 18, 2009 9:53 am

Thanks guys, I'm still running/jogging 3 times a week and climbing (it is quite 'common' for climbers to continue throughout the first 5/6 months of pregnancy as you can use a full body harness) but with my other hobbies I feel a lot more in control and am able to adjust the level of activity to suit.

With surfing there are more external factors that I feel are outwith my control and it's not uncommon for me to have plenty of wipeouts (hitting the deck, board bashing, wave walloping etc). I guess I would probably spend most of my time in the water worrying about if I was doing the right thing but most 'expectant mothers' :-) are probably exactly the same when it comes to making the should I/shouldn't I decision.

Ho Hum ... something to muse over! I hadn't actually thought about lying on my board with a bump beneath me! More of the falling off part!
PieMistress

Postby militia » Mon May 18, 2009 10:42 am

We just got an old abused longboard, so she could knee paddle it as bump got bigger and able to surf smaller days as bump grew - the kids loved it too, as it was so easy for me to stand. We used to go to some of the more quiet spots, and spend the day at the beach with our then 4 year old. Good thing was - I discovered that one spot that gets overlooked by the experienced surfers, like myself as I always considered it a dull, beginners wave, can actually crank. And since have had some near empty, full on summer surfs. There is one little bank there - that we called Ella - cos we had decided on the name of the bump that morning - that was choice, with a real good left on a small ish swell. We'd take turns looking after Kai (our boy)/paddling out for a half hour. Made you enjoy the time more some how. If I am honest, I knew some spots around the corner would have been going off, but probably rammed. Somehow it didn't bother me - I was happy to get back to basics, and play in the sun.
militia

Postby majordom » Mon May 18, 2009 10:51 am

i think you should ask your doctor rather than rely on the usually excellent advice here
majordom

Postby militia » Mon May 18, 2009 10:53 am

I am a gynecologist!

...... well I am not, but I do work with a bunch of cunts!
militia

Postby Vince Noir » Mon May 18, 2009 10:54 am

I was expecting some horrendous story or a comment from Milita, and took the risk of coming into this thread at work, and it looks like it paid off

EDIT: God dammit ! :twisted:
Vince Noir

Postby militia » Mon May 18, 2009 11:06 am

:-D sorry
militia

Postby waxer00 » Mon May 18, 2009 12:06 pm

i have surfed all the way through my wifes pregnancies with my phantom bump without any hitches?
waxer00

Postby twisted_tinkerbell » Mon May 18, 2009 1:23 pm

^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:

I didn't surf through my pregnancies. I went weird through mine. I started painting my nails and all that shit :shock: I think they call it nesting.

Aaaanyway... While you may be in control out there in the water, there are others who aren't! I reckon you should give it a miss because you'd never forgive yourself if, god forbid, anything bad happened.

Good luck with the pregnancy... I don't envy you, mate but its all worth it in the end :-D
...waiting for the turning point
twisted_tinkerbell

Postby Dadawa8 » Thu May 21, 2009 10:10 pm

Don't believe anything you hear and only half of that you see!
Dadawa8

Postby ATTMFKH » Fri May 22, 2009 8:30 am

Not worth the risk - if it went Pete Tong , even if it wasn't medically related but you had been out surfing, you would twist you melon for years until another pregnancy erased those memories............

Not wanting to draaaaaaggg you down mmmmmmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnn but surely not worth the risk :-|
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby ajbiped » Fri May 22, 2009 9:25 am

Agree with ATTMFKH - Defo not worth the risk IMO. Wife and I lost one ten years ago (not through surfing) and it isn't an easy ride at all, still gets to me at times. Just get loads of surfing in afterwards.
ajbiped

Postby Tractor_Boy » Fri May 22, 2009 6:04 pm

ajbiped wrote:Agree with ATTMFKH - Defo not worth the risk IMO. Wife and I lost one ten years ago (not through surfing) and it isn't an easy ride at all, still gets to me at times. Just get loads of surfing in afterwards.

Yep, been there too - Mrs lost one 5 years ago. The loss wone of those things that wasn't meant to be and not through anything we did / didn't do - and getting through it was the hardest thing either of us have had to do.
I dread to think how we'd have coped if there was something something we had (not) done that directly caused it. Even now, I look back and think if there was anything we should / not have done that could have prevented it.
Last edited by Tractor_Boy on Tue May 26, 2009 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tractor_Boy

Postby BanthamBoy » Fri May 22, 2009 7:01 pm

Dadawa8 wrote:see the link

http://www.surfingmums.com

Find some chicks
BanthamBoy

Postby AllanNisbet » Mon May 25, 2009 10:35 am

After the beach reports I would say dont surf any point in pregnancy.
A severe infection from any of the bacteria in the water and its not a good thing.

Al
AllanNisbet

Postby PieMistress » Mon May 25, 2009 11:11 am

Thanks everybody for the replies. At the back of my mind I knew I wouldn't be surfing for the rest of this year but it's always good to get feedback from others, especially those that have been in a similar situation. I would never forgive myself if I (or somebody else) caused me to do something that directly (or otherwise) caused me to lose the babba.

Plus, the water quality at my local beach is pretty minging and I usually swallow a fair bit. Wouldn't want my babba to be drinking that - bleuergh, grosses me out just thinking about it!

Thanks All xx
PieMistress

Postby Squelchy » Mon May 25, 2009 11:37 am

i don't like the way some people start putting a guilt trip on women to not surf
because if anything happened they'd never forgive themselves.
if surfing when you're pregnant makes you happy and relaxed then do it. :-)
but if the idea of surfing when you're pregnant makes you stressed, then don't ... Image

here's a thought- maybe all the aggressive people deliberately dropping in on people and bailing
should think about what if the person they crash into is pregnant.
those are the people who we should make feel guilty
ImageImageImageImageImage
Squelchy

Postby Tractor_Boy » Tue May 26, 2009 6:35 am

Squelchy wrote:i don't like the way some people start putting a guilt trip on women to not surf
because if anything happened they'd never forgive themselves.
if surfing when you're pregnant makes you happy and relaxed then do it. :-)
but if the idea of surfing when you're pregnant makes you stressed, then don't ... Image

here's a thought- maybe all the aggressive people deliberately dropping in on people and bailing
should think about what if the person they crash into is pregnant.
those are the people who we should make feel guilty

Not supposed to be a guilt trip - just a statement about how we'd feel. Nor is it any kind of underhand attempt to stop women surfing - get over yourself.

Those who deliberately bail / drop-in clearly don't care for the others in the water and the impact of their selfishness anyway.
More to (this point), it's those who come off accidently who might un-intentionally hit someone else who may, through no deliberate act, cause an injury. If it's to someone who's pregnant, which may cause anything bad to happen, then worse still - that person would be mortified also.
Tractor_Boy

Postby ATTMFKH » Tue May 26, 2009 9:13 am

PieMistress wrote:Thanks everybody for the replies. At the back of my mind I knew I wouldn't be surfing for the rest of this year but it's always good to get feedback from others, especially those that have been in a similar situation. I would never forgive myself if I (or somebody else) caused me to do something that directly (or otherwise) caused me to lose the babba.

Plus, the water quality at my local beach is pretty minging and I usually swallow a fair bit. Wouldn't want my babba to be drinking that - bleuergh, grosses me out just thinking about it!

Thanks All xx

Maybe if you had done some more of that ^^^^^ you would still be surfing :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ATTMFKH

Postby AllanNisbet » Tue May 26, 2009 9:32 am

thanks dude my coffee is now in the depths between the keys and my boss is looking at me like im the office idiot. lol

Al
AllanNisbet

Postby ATTMFKH » Tue May 26, 2009 10:16 am

Pleasure Nizzy :wink:
ATTMFKH

Postby PieMistress » Tue May 26, 2009 3:59 pm

I had to read that email a few times to get what you were on about - Doh!

HAHA :lol:
PieMistress

Postby gillasey » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:16 am

When in your pregnancy did you start interviewing and deciding which day care to use? I am around 6 weeks pregnant and my sister told me I should start looking at daycares and trying to get on waiting lists. When did you start doing this during your pregnancy if you decided to use child care? I live in Raleigh, NC, does anyone have an idea about the average cost per month of child care? Any advice would be appreciated.
gillasey

Postby roberdy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:38 am

gillasey wrote:When in your pregnancy did you start interviewing and deciding which day care to use? I am around 6 weeks pregnant and my sister told me I should start looking at daycares and trying to get on waiting lists. When did you start doing this during your pregnancy if you decided to use child care? I live in Raleigh, NC, does anyone have an idea about the average cost per month of child care? Any advice would be appreciated.

Gillasey, over here and round this town you have to think about day care about a year before you even have a child, it is that busy, especially if you don't want some weirdo looking after your kid everyday. Dunno about Raleigh NC tho, this is a mostly British site! Good luck with the pregnancy, you too piemistress :wink:
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby ATTMFKH » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:48 am

Aren't mothers meant to look after their children :?
ATTMFKH

Next

Return to General