Surfing during Pregnancy?

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Re: Surfing during Pregnancy?

Postby roberdy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:32 am

ATTMFKH wrote:Aren't mothers meant to look after their children :?

Seems that in the UK mothers have a good deal more rights to maternity pay etc than they get in the states but of all the mums I know/work with, they all say that getting child care in the NE of Scotland is really hard, to get decent care anyway. Not that I would really know, I have no progeny that i know of yet....

I agree that mums should look after their own children as far as possible, certainly i am working hard to get in a place where my wife doesn't have to work in the first few years of our children's lives. Gotta wait till she has qualified as a teacher and done her proby year first though. Means I have about 2 1/2 years of surf trips to take advantage of before it all goes kids crazy!
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby tootes » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:26 pm

offstead reports are plastered around the walls of daycare places (or nurserys as we like to call them) so you can get an idea how good they are.

we got word of mouth off others and got a feel for the place first. Ultimately though your child is likely to bond with one or a couple of the girls looking after them and my feeling is that there is an element of pot luck in that.

it broke my heart realising we were going to have to send ours but in reality she has never once got upset on arrive or looked like she didn't want to be there. It has really helped her socially too and three days a week means she gets variety.

Farking pricey though :( We are trying to get a in a position where mum is home semi-permenantly when we have a second.
wheels and water blog
http://tootes.blogspot.com/
Eco Kindle Blog
http://ecokindle.blogspot.com/
tootes

Postby J L » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:33 am

damn right, hence the reason we are skint, and my mrs had to return to work as part of her maternity scheme, though luckely only for two days a week, still hard though having your income drop by nearly 2/3rds.

but well worth it, our lad is brilliant 8)
J L

Postby nfotb » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:19 pm

My missus surfed while she was pregnant, but she wasn't aware of it. As soon as she found out, that was it. Thank god, didn't want her there anyway!

quick bit of advice for the dad to be, "She's not ill, she's pregnant, she can make her own cup of tea".

Best n that.

Proud dad of 2.
nfotb

Postby tootes » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:42 pm

J L wrote:

damn right, hence the reason we are skint, and my mrs had to return to work as part of her maternity scheme, though luckely only for two days a week, still hard though having your income drop by nearly 2/3rds.

but well worth it, our lad is brilliant 8)

same with my mrs, shes gone back 4 days and then take off the child care and its scary!! Not sure what we did with our money before - 40 quid a day nursary :(

forgot she was in the back of the car this morning and nearly bought her all the way to work :shock:
wheels and water blog
Eco Kindle Blog
tootes

Postby twisted_tinkerbell » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:47 pm

gillasey wrote:When in your pregnancy did you start interviewing and deciding which day care to use? I am around 6 weeks pregnant and my sister told me I should start looking at daycares and trying to get on waiting lists. When did you start doing this during your pregnancy if you decided to use child care? I live in Raleigh, NC, does anyone have an idea about the average cost per month of child care? Any advice would be appreciated.

I would concentrate on getting through your first trimester before worrying about all that. I started looking when I knew for sure I was going back to work. I think that was 3 weeks into my maternity leave :lol: :lol: :lol: I couldn't believe the price of some of them but the one I was happy with turned out to be the most expensive but you can't put a price on good childcare can you?

Seriously fella's, if I could afford to be off looking after mine then I would but some of us don't have the choice. It was easier to leave them as babies but now when I leave them at the door and they're saying "bye mummy, love you mummy"... it breaks my heart :cry:

As it happens though, my 2 boys are well mannered and amazingly social after being at nursery, so proud!!! :-D Pity they don't have a clue who the f**k I am! :lol: :lol: :lol:
...waiting for the turning point
twisted_tinkerbell

Postby FTURUE » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:51 pm

i myself being male have never surfed whilst pregnant,
FTURUE

Postby nfotb » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:55 pm

FTURUE wrote:i myself being male have never surfed whilst pregnant,

And with that kind of attitude you never will... Pull yourself together man!
nfotb

Postby BanthamBoy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:33 pm

There was a chick down here that surfed when she was pregnant, Rode on a surf mat and didn't go out when it was anything to big (I don't think?!)
BanthamBoy

Postby mamasurfs » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:22 am

Doctors will recommend that you avoid most physical sports while pregnant including surfing to avoid the risk of falling. I already knew how to surf and continued to throughout my entire pregnancy. You can check out www.mamasurfs.com for my personal journey through pregnancy and surfing...it might help you make the decision to surf or not while expecting.

Best of luck!
mamasurfs

Postby Chris F » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:46 am

The sprog popped a while back!
Chris F

20 weeks / 5 months Surfing during Pregnancy?

Postby hellokristi » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:57 am

I am 20 weeks or 5 months pregnant now and am still surfing almost every day. I could ride all of my boards, including the shorter ones until I was about 4 months; then even though my stomach really didn't stick out, it got uncomfortable to lie on it and pop up from. I am now knee paddling on a lovely 9'5" longboard and just pop up from my knees when I get a wave. The area I live in (Manly, Australia) has many different breaks so I always surf at a beach offering waves that are smaller than head high. I prefer waist high but will go out in waist to head high when its high tide, uncrowded and nice and fat. I think it is always a good idea to be careful and surf within your limits - especially when you are pregnant. If I do have a big spill, I make sure that I am in the fetal position when I am getting rolled around underwater to protect my stomach. Surfing is such incredible fun, amazing stress relief, and great exercise that I think it might be more dangerous for me if I stopped! On days when the surf is too big everywhere I swim, run, or sup in a flat harbour and I will probably do some of those pre-natal yoga classes soon. Pity those activities can't give you a feeling even close to the fun of surfing! I will post again in a month or two to share how I am doing with surfing then. Good luck to all my pregnant surf sistas and have fun!
hellokristi

Postby MJE » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:13 pm

I've had no problem with this at all: surfed right through my wife's pregnancy.
MJE

Postby Leedsol » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:35 pm

MJE wrote:I've had no problem with this at all: surfed right through my wife's pregnancy.

ha ha nice one, all ok? get away last week?
You're too deep Camel..its Indo not Margaret River
Leedsol

Postby Philshoz » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:52 pm

MJE wrote:I've had no problem with this at all: surfed right through my wife's pregnancy.

How is it Mark, all good?
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby MJE » Wed May 01, 2013 5:14 pm

Leedsol wrote:

ha ha nice one, all ok? get away last week?

No mate: after all that didn't get anywhere in the end bar few days in Northumberland. Had to console myself with new Patagonia wetty har
Hope you scored, forecast looked ok

Philshoz wrote:
How is it Mark, all good?

Hiya Phil aye mate not long to go, all's well so far. Hope your trip over went ok
MJE

Postby hellokristi » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:30 am

Me again! I now have a happy healthy 4 month old who loves the beach and the ocean! Check out my story at http://www.shesurfs.com.au/surfing-pregnant/ and a little movie of me surfing pregnant month by month on vimeo https://vimeo.com/83739965 Keep surfing and keep smiling my surf sistas! x
hellokristi

Postby tootes » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:13 am

mum knows best eh. Any blog/video that features girls kissing whilst riding waves has got to be a good one.

Amazing how far removed the realities of surfing Scotland are to Manly beach. Do you orientate the parking of your car to factor in shelter from the wind :)
wheels and water blog
Eco Kindle Blog
tootes

Postby insideout » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:52 am

My mother surfed when she was pregnant with me and look how I turned out!
insideout

Postby zboy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:08 pm

hellokristi wrote:Me again! I now have a happy healthy 4 month old who loves the beach and the ocean! Check out my story at http://www.shesurfs.com.au/surfing-pregnant/ and a little movie of me surfing pregnant month by month on vimeo https://vimeo.com/83739965 Keep surfing and keep smiling my surf sistas! x

great vid of people loving and enjoying surfing,girls surfing they seem to have more fun :-) nice post
zboy

Postby boardtrader » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:49 pm

Don't attempt! You'll forever regret it if something we're to happen. You pay to play sometimes. And a hard wipeout wouldn't be good for you.
www.boardtrader.com
Chris@boardtrader.com
boardtrader

Postby boardtrader » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:49 pm

Don't attempt! You'll forever regret it if something we're to happen. You pay to play sometimes. And a hard wipeout wouldn't be good for you.
www.boardtrader.com
Chris@boardtrader.com
boardtrader

Previous

Return to General