Boycott Nike 6.0

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

What do you think of Nike 6.0 entering the surf industry?

Good
21%
Bad
23%
Laughable
9%
A natural result of surfing's success
47%

Total votes : 57

Re: Boycott Nike 6.0

Postby seasofcheese » Sun May 22, 2011 11:08 am

Is this the whole 'soul surfer' (wank term) 'cottage industry' thing everyone seems to be concerned about where large corporates eat the small nice little brands? Nike won't change anything, they may even make some portions better. Every market is open which allows choice - we all have a choice as to who we do/don't buy from. If you don't like Nike, maybe ethics involved, don't buy from them. Why worry about surf products and not trainers and sports equipment? but local if you want to support British shapes, or buy ethically if you care - second hand is the way forward. Consumerism dictates the market.
seasofcheese

Postby kdiddy » Mon May 23, 2011 10:03 pm

flacky wrote:Not sure Nike could ever be described as jealous... My guess is Nike would do more for surfing than all of the high street fashion stores who have used surf as their inspiration for their summer collections for the last 10 years. At least they'll put money back into surfing, can't ever be a bad thing. Nike were founded on performance, and have been light years ahead of the pack for years.

I don't think that we'll see NIke wetsuits, they have Hurley to do that. Same with boards.

Nice grammar...
Yes, Nike "were" founded on performance, not Nike 6.0.
kdiddy

Postby kdiddy » Mon May 23, 2011 10:04 pm

Lets just cut to the chase, Nike 6.0 SUCKS.
That's why the forum's called Boycott Nike 6.0
kdiddy

Postby kdiddy » Mon May 23, 2011 10:07 pm

danny1 wrote:reasons?

Oh, be quiet.
kdiddy

Postby Chai Wallah » Mon May 23, 2011 10:15 pm

why?
Chai Wallah

Postby flacky » Mon May 23, 2011 10:23 pm

kdiddy wrote:
flacky wrote:Not sure Nike could ever be described as jealous... My guess is Nike would do more for surfing than all of the high street fashion stores who have used surf as their inspiration for their summer collections for the last 10 years. At least they'll put money back into surfing, can't ever be a bad thing. Nike were founded on performance, and have been light years ahead of the pack for years.

I don't think that we'll see NIke wetsuits, they have Hurley to do that. Same with boards.

Nice grammar...
Yes, Nike "were" founded on performance, not Nike 6.0.

Nice argument. Why boycott NIke 6.0? Would you buy Xcel but not Xcel infiniti? Or Robert August but not Robert August Retro?

Nike 6.0 is Nike is NIke 6.0 is Nike Air is Nike Football is Nike Shox. In other words, Nike. Dickhead.
flacky

Postby seasofcheese » Tue May 24, 2011 6:55 am

He's got a point.
seasofcheese

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue May 24, 2011 7:09 am

I find it somewhat of a contradiction that you also hold 'quicksilver' (sic) as the epitome of a roots company, diddy. Sure, they sprang from surfing and were wholly run by surfers in the early days, but these days they are a different fish. They certainly stuck their noses into things that you could say were of no concern to them... Quiksilver Bowlriders anyone? They are a big multinational, so no surprises there.

As for the 'grammar' dig towards Flacky, I think you should learn to spell, punctuate and use capital letters, otherwise it's a case of....

Personally, I kind of agree with you and wouldn't buy any Nike 6.0 stuff. But then, I wouldn't buy any Nike, full stop. Or Quiksilver, for that matter.

Just out of curiosity, how old are you, diddy?
Archy_is_God

Postby flacky » Tue May 24, 2011 7:35 am

Didn't quiksilver venture into golf once? Bored sports?

Half eight in the morning, I'm always on...

You've been great, try the quiche.
flacky

Postby shackattack2 » Tue May 24, 2011 7:58 am

seasofcheese wrote:Consumerism dictates the market.

Very true. And its advertising that influences consumer choice....the most influential of which is the younger market and its what these "fashionable" products are targeted toward.

Big brands create blandness and make people dull
shackattack2

Postby flacky » Tue May 24, 2011 8:08 am

I think you'd have to be living with your parents for this kind of thing to bother you.

I do wear surf labels. And Nike. Admittedly. I was massively influenced by the surf look when I was about 15. Before that I thought I was black and from the bronx. Walked with a DJ limp, to this day I STILL don't tie laces on trainers, I have no fear of wearing a baseball cap backwards, though sideways is now a no go zone. Then I got into skateboarding, and while the Alva jeans and Doc Martens was punk, I was hooked on fat trainers and Wayfarers. And then Ocean Pacific came out over here with their neon colours.... BRIGHT LIGHTS BRIGHT LIGHTS... I went from East Coast homeboy to West Coast Beachboy.

Despite my early 90s acid jazz and trendy club wear phase, I'm still hip. My jeans are still baggy and I don't dress any differently than I did 20 years ago.

Let NIke 6.0 have their fill, doesn't affect me, or you, or maybe it does.

Who cares?
flacky

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue May 24, 2011 8:17 am

[quote="flacky"]Didn't quiksilver venture into golf once? [quote]

Yes, they did.

I went to Cribbs Causeway shopping centre in Bristol a couple of weeks back (don't ask) and there was a Quik 'Boardriders' shop there. Quite an irony that there was no boards, or even wax, for sale within it's glossy walls. I'm willing to bet a fair bit that the staff don't surf and neither does the owner.
Archy_is_God

Postby flacky » Tue May 24, 2011 8:32 am

None of them stock boards. They have 2 in manchester. Same with O'Neill. O'Neill used to stock Gulf Stream boards and Lost.
flacky

Postby shackattack2 » Tue May 24, 2011 9:22 am

On the west coast of Ireland you need to choose confort over style :shock: Plus you look funny wearing neon colours against windswept boglands. When I live in the cities I have to up my game a bit.

flacky wrote:I think you'd have to be living with your parents for this kind of thing to bother you

True, the people who have the strongest reaction against this kind of stuff tend to be the psuedo cool types....its a bit of a shitter but why stress eh
shackattack2

Postby seasofcheese » Tue May 24, 2011 10:50 am

I'm all for function over fashion. I would rather 'ass to mouth' my father than wear any surf gear that wasn't warm, subtle, or a had nice weave - even cottage industry 'arty' tees and their 'hey wow I've grown a big beard' pretensions can do one (I have a beard). If I'm cold I wear something warm, and if the weather is clement I wear less. I think it might be called grumpy. I don't think I own a single item of branded surf wear - not even the less obvious ones. When I was a lad in the shires you couldn't even buy that kind of gear, there was only outdoor pursuits shops. There's nothing more bracing than an aggressive woolly jumper on a winter morning and a good pair of stout boots, or anything that makes you look more of a cock than orange Peter Storm cagoule, standing around on a beach. But we were warm and dry.

If Nike made something warm and practical I would consider buying but I'd probably rather purchase something I can drip my pasty down when I'm driving down that fucking endless A30 without a care, rather than mincing around worrying about expensive technical surf wear. Bent. I'd prefer Nike to get involved than some Tea quaffing qunt with big reading glasses and skinny fit jeans, but thats just me. Again, another case of subjective point of view, to each his own. I think making an issue out of something like a Major brand entering the surf market is assuming everyone is too stupid to have a opinion of their own or make informed choices, be it lead by advertising or not. Wear what, and surf what you want - its supposed to be fun. I'd wear quicksilver and ride a pop-out anytime than ponder the morals of an age old fashion lead industry and who should and shouldn't apply. If folk are lead by advertising then so be it, let a little Darwinism take place. Experience tempers choice.
seasofcheese

Postby gavtheoldskater » Tue May 24, 2011 11:06 am

could be worse... fat willys could make a mass comeback like they were in the 80s.
gavtheoldskater

Postby danny1 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:40 am

like many old twats - im 36- it is all about function and price for me. on the east coast and scotland in jan it is all about warmth and light

nike make soime great out doors gear- the ACG sub brand is the bollocks...had a great outer layer for a few years by them till i lost it...
danny1

Postby flacky » Tue May 24, 2011 1:33 pm

Ebay and Charity shops for me. Can't remember the last time I got a receipt for any of my clothes! I even pull a piss face at the prices in TK Maxx these days. "I remember when Levis 501 were 20 quid.... " kind of shit. And I seem to spend more time in the Menswear section at Asda than I do in the beer aisle these days.

3 pairs of Nikes here, and the newest were probably bought in the late 90s. New trainers just don't cut it for me. I even sulked when Adidas put metal eyelets and a padded tongue on Superstar. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nike rarely fail for performance or style.

BUGGIN OUT!
flacky

Postby kdiddy » Wed May 25, 2011 7:30 pm

Archy_is_God wrote:Just out of curiosity, how old are you, diddy?

I will only tell you that I am younger than 1000
kdiddy

Postby RichC » Wed May 25, 2011 8:02 pm

flacky wrote:
Nike rarely fail for performance or style.

BUGGIN OUT!

seeing that shot sent me straight to eBay looking for a pair of AJ4s, sorry if that's not necessarily the spirit of the thread.
RichC

Postby flacky » Wed May 25, 2011 8:07 pm

Good luck...

You won't find another pair of these without a 3 figure pricetag. The retro edition come up now and then with the jumpman on the back, but these are 91. With Nie Air on them.
flacky

Postby RichC » Wed May 25, 2011 8:29 pm

flacky wrote:Good luck...

I know, I was just giving you props on your sneakers, they're classics.
RichC

Postby Black » Wed May 25, 2011 8:41 pm

Boycot Nike 7.0 - you've got to think ahead in business!
Black

Postby flacky » Wed May 25, 2011 10:02 pm

RichC wrote:
flacky wrote:Good luck...

I know, I was just giving you props on your sneakers, they're classics.

Had them in Black too and a pair of Jordan V. I'd pop a cap in some mofo's ass for a pair of them again.
flacky

Postby Black » Wed May 25, 2011 10:25 pm

^^Somehow I feel violated!? :?
Black

Postby flacky » Wed May 25, 2011 10:47 pm

Black wrote:^^Somehow I feel violated!? :?

Hey, if you stay bent over for so long something's gonna happen.
flacky

Postby sjb1983 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:54 am

A heat yesterday at Hurley Pro had Julian Wilson (Nike 6.0) up against Alejo Muniz (Nike 6.0) and Miguel Pupo (Hurley, which is owned by Nike).

The future's shite, the future's nike!
sjb1983

Postby flacky » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:05 am

Would the future be any brighter if they all had Ripcurl or Quiksilver on their backs?

If competitive surfing is your thang, there's no better company to promote it and advance the image than Nike.

Interestingly, Quiksilver was born out of the Ripcurl factory... It's like school here innit.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby sjb1983 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:24 am

Looks like they are done with surfing......
Nike Pulls Back - http://www.surfermag.com/features/nike-pulls-back/

Hurley, Nike, same bollocks...
sjb1983

Postby danny1 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:25 pm

yep not enough money in it. not mainstream enough. had a bash at it....learned lessons...moved on

it didnt affect me or "surfing" in any way whatsoever so whats the beef??
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Previous

Return to General