Roy Stuart's FP 13 surfboard and the Hawaiian Hikoi

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Re: Olo hikoi continues...

Postby Chris F » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:09 am

danny1 wrote:shame it never come to the UK. lots od people would have loved to ride it. inc me.

Me too, but sadly it will never ever happen.
Chris F

Postby REO » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:25 am

clearly the board turns and i'm able to report that it does so with the greatest of ease.

sorry wrong once again... not your week is it :wink:
REO

Postby Roy Stuart » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:17 am

Chris F wrote:
danny1 wrote:
shame it never come to the UK. lots od people would have loved to ride it. inc me.

Never's a long time.

Roy Stuart

Postby Roy Stuart » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:20 am

REO wrote:

clearly the board turns and i'm able to report that it does so with the greatest of ease.

sorry wrong once again... not your week is it :wink:

You are absolutely incorrect, as a matter of demonstrated fact.

I'm having a very good week actually, had a visit from my great friend M who I haven't seen for 26 years, it's been a good week for sales, and we been busy in the workshop, it's all good !

I also started a new 10'6" which will be a beauty.

Roy Stuart

Postby Chris F » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:15 am

Roy Stewart wrote:
Chris F wrote:
danny1 wrote:
shame it never come to the UK. lots od people would have loved to ride it. inc me.

Never's a long time.

Ok not in my lifetime then, and probably not yours. I would love it if you proved me wrong on this Roy, I genuinely would.
Chris F

Postby Roy Stuart » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:40 am

How'd you figure that out?

I can do it any time I feel like it !

I don't need malwhatsit's permission to send a board to the UK/

:-)
Roy Stuart

Postby mal-nourished » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:35 am

no one said you did ... :roll: paranoid fool.
mal-nourished

Postby Chris F » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:01 pm

Roy Stewart wrote:How'd you figure that out?

I can do it any time I feel like it !

I don't need malwhatsit's permission to send a board to the UK/

:-)

I figure it out when I realised you live in a different world to the rest of us - the real world vs roy's world. You can send your board to the UK any time, but in reality I don't think you ever will. Like I said, I would love it if you proved me wrong on this.

And who said this had anything to do with mal-nourished?
Chris F

Postby mal-nourished » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:23 pm

mrs stewart or one of his multiple personalities ....just roy trying to have a dig like the malwhatsit...send it im sure someone has a garage where it may be stored for 2 yrs and dragged out for 18 waves.. :oops:
mal-nourished

Postby REO » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:48 pm

[/quote]

You are absolutely incorrect, as a matter of demonstrated fact.

.[/quote]

Wrong again..
REO

Postby Poo Stance » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:50 pm

Was in a book shop yesterday and picked up the 'Expensive Toys For Men' hardback. Must have known your boards were in it Roy as I looked straight in the index for your name.

I can't remember exactly what was written in the book word for word but something along the lines of "best board for all conditions" and "experts say they are highly manoeuvrable".

Personally I think Roy has different ideas on board function to the masses of 'brainwashed robot slaves of the surf trade', and from the footage I've seen his boards can outperform many other boards in terms of length of ride and levels of (maintaining) trim - which I think is what Roy is referring to when he hails their ability to 'manoeuvre' well; into the optimal trim position with minimal ease (or rider input?). Although most of the footage as you say is of Roy himself. Which I guess is no surprise due to the price.

There is video footage, which maybe you can provide Roy?, of the NZ tour of one of Roy's boards. Unfortunately the riders who tried the board out (if I remember rightly) didn't get to spend much time on it. Which means the only footage I've seen of other people riding your boards Roy - GMac at Pipe is the other - shows what you say, people struggle to adjust their riding style/technique to make your boards perform as well as you might be able to do (would love to see the footage of you riding them on big days like I think you have claimed before). I think you will concede that your riding style is different to most Roy, so with the above in mind I can only assume that due to your more isolated existence, your high board prices and hence lack of rider feedback and that you say yourself you shape your boards for you (and your quirky style)... all probably contributes to the fact that others haven't managed to get your boards to perform as well as could be. Not to mention as you say lack of time spent riding them. One thing I will say is that in the NZ tour footage everyone seemed to be well stoked to have ridden the board.

It sure is a shame the board never made it over here (yeah, let's not go there) as there was a multitude of people waiting to try her out. And OK, most probably wouldn't have clicked with it on 1st attempt. But the feedback (if you could ever accept such a thing from anyone who failed to see the reality, or lack of, in this world and who didn't understand the complex relationship between the length of fin base, the speed of water flowing around it, and the sharpness of rail on the trailing edge) and publicity would both have been good for you. Well, maybe slightly more better than the monthly internet slagging match on the forum of the month.

Anyway, my question to you Roy is: Who are these 'experts' which this book refers to? Can you name them without fear of putting their lives in danger?

Here's a good read tho if you like all things Roy...

http://www.swellnet.com.au/news/733-the ... -the-world

You say you're taking the price way over the top, how did a value of $528 000 come about?
528 is a Solfeggio Frequency. 528 Hertz. I could've chosen many numbers but to eliminate a lot of possibilities I chose a number that is beneficial to people.

People Roy? Is that the old you, me, we, us again? :wink:
Poo Stance

Postby msw moderator » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:19 pm

sorry, i have to just clarify is this you on your 1/2 million$ board:

http://vimeo.com/11259898

what are you wearing? are there any videos in proper surf?
msw moderator

Postby REO » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:54 pm

just to make sure I watched the video's again... not much going on..looks like your having fun apart from when the knee boarder leave you for dust then pulls out lol..nice small waves gfoing to waste (in my opinion) :wink:
REO

Postby Black » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:36 pm

Hey Poo
....what Roy is referring to when he hails their ability to 'manoeuvre' well
I took this to mean that the board can be turned from the sweet spot without having to walk about to get a foot over the fins to pivot like on most other long boards. I think Roy sees this as a superior design. So when he says it turns very well he means it turns without the rider having to perform gymnastic manoeuvres to get the board to turn.
Black

Postby Roy Stuart » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:47 pm

Poo Stance wrote:
Anyway, my question to you Roy is: Who are these 'experts' which this book refers to? Can you name them without fear of putting their lives in danger?

AsI recall I provided them with some information but in typical editorial fashion they concocted their own... the words are not mine.
Roy Stuart

Postby Roy Stuart » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:50 pm

Black wrote:Hey Poo
....what Roy is referring to when he hails their ability to 'manoeuvre' well
I took this to mean that the board can be turned from the sweet spot without having to walk about to get a foot over the fins to pivot like on most other long boards. I think Roy sees this as a superior design. So when he says it turns very well he means it turns without the rider having to perform gymnastic manoeuvres to get the board to turn.

Yes that's correct I do mean that, and it also means that the control during turning is vastly improved compared with 'walk the plank' type longboards.

Roy Stuart

Postby Roy Stuart » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:55 pm

REO wrote:just to make sure I watched the video's again... not much going on..looks like your having fun apart from when the knee boarder leave you for dust then pulls out lol..nice small waves gfoing to waste (in my opinion) :wink:

He does nothing of the sort, I had to stall severely and avoid the high line I was about to take in order to slow down and give the guy room, otherwise i would have run him over.

This put me behind a section I would easily have made, but I made it and took the wave all the way to the beach, about another 400 metres through several other sections which none of the other boards could make.

I could have run the guy over easily, instead I did the decent thing. That board has incredible acceleration on the takeoff but by taking a low line I managed to stall sufficiently.

You say that there's 'not much going on' and that the waves were 'wasted'. What you should realise is that those waves were very difficult to make and that none of the other riders managed to get past the first section. Although it migh not look like I'm doing much there is plenty going on, I'm doing what's required to make the wave but that does not include flashy turns, no doubt the subtleties escape you. People often look at those videos and think that they'd be doing much more on the wave, but in reality they wouldn't even be on the waves for long enough to find out.

That's what happens when one makes it look easy.

Last edited by Roy Stuart on Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy Stuart

Postby mal-nourished » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:08 pm

when you say no other boards you mean riders after all its not the boards fault.... :roll: where have i heard that before.
mal-nourished

Postby Turtle1 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:22 pm

Hi All,

firstly, I appreciate this is off topic, but the thread seems to have gone this way again and so is clearly point of great interest to this forum.

I follow these threads with great interest as a wooden board builder. Probably for different reasons to a lot of people. I live about 20 mins from Bantham and was also looking forward to seeing the board in our waters ( I mean seeing it, as I am next to useless when it comes to surfing ).

I would like to offer my services for free to build the board here if buying / shipping a kit over would be more practical and cost effective than shipping the whole board completed.

The build method is different to my own, but I feel I could do it justice if this was the only way to get the board here.

My website is http://www.hwsurfboards.com to see a bit more about my awareness.

Let me know if this is interesting to you all, for the record I have an open mind and the only driver for me is to be part of what could be a fantastic project, one which quite a few want to be involved in. I have nearly completed my new shack which will comfortably house a board up to 15'.

Thanks

Turtle
Turtle1

Postby The Decorator » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:24 pm

Roy, can't help thinking it looks like you're just getting washed in most of clips.
The Decorator

Postby mal-nourished » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:43 pm

whilst your in the msw hood ..the big d...is that granites you posted in the photos in south aussie spent 3 months around there and penong area pretty sharkey so on average at least one big one a week... 8) ..if your still around there worth popping down nr elliston and point avoid bottom of the peninsular safe trip... 8)
mal-nourished

Postby Roy Stuart » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:49 pm

Roy Stuart

Postby The Decorator » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:52 pm

Was indeed Mal :-) Plenty of Noahs aswell! Cactus (caves) was firing with no one out and I confess I didn't either, there has to be a reason when it looks that good but there's no one in doesn't there? Next morning was smaller and busy but still snagged a few. Granites was good to me, started of mellow then added a foot every other set 'till overhead and throwing at the take off. Went flat for 10 days after that so next surf wasn't untill Johana in Vic. Just got got back from a pre dawn look at Maroubra 1ft and onshore :-( . But TC Wilma out by Fiji looks for the next few days. Heading up the East now to QLD.
The Decorator

Postby mal-nourished » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:03 pm

johanna used to be my starting point for trips ..from the otway to portland has to be in my opinion one of the best areas on the east for surf without the masses.. 8)
mal-nourished

Postby The Decorator » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:07 pm

You definitely need a buddy to stop you twitching around there though :lol: and a good map 8)
The Decorator

Postby Roy Stuart » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:13 pm

Roy Stuart

Postby The Decorator » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:15 pm

Would you mind not interupting mine and Mal's chat with pictures of bits of the Ark please.
The Decorator

Postby Roy Stuart » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:27 pm

Roy Stuart

Postby rodent » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:32 pm

Roy thats some poo stance you've got, its way worse than mine :lol:
rodent

Postby blue_pig » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:39 pm

if it wasn't for the expense of paulownia in the UK I'd have built one - maybe its time to dust off those FP12 plans off, huh?
blue_pig

PreviousNext

Return to General