Mini Simmons: are they too hard to ride?

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Re: Mini Simmons: are they too hard to ride?

Postby Kirk3 » Tue May 03, 2011 4:30 pm

Hey Littlefoot,
that one isn't mine unfortunately, it was a stock board we had at a show. I was pretty obsessed by it though, it was 5'2" which is on the small side but felt good under the arm- shaped by Larry Mabile who knows what he's doing and shaped RK the original White Pony a few years back. From what I'm told by people who have them, the fin set up is very much like keels as far as speed/lack of drag but obviously has some serious hold in the turns and feels more pivoty than a regular quad set up. Royal is a big fan of that sort of multi fin action and can probably explain the feel/concept a lot better than me- I still like my twins and have only just started playing with a quad.
Kirk3

Postby elhornet » Tue May 03, 2011 11:10 pm

This 6'2 I have feels like a mal underfoot :lol: and I'm going to keep it for that purpose basically.
I'd really like to try a 5'6-5'8, even at my size I reckon it would be great. Saw one in San Clemente on the weekend (work trip, with a pitstop at salt creek for a wave :oops: ) but no means to get it home - and it was a grand.
elhornet

Postby littlefoot » Fri May 27, 2011 8:00 am

Well my new quad simmons is ready and waiting so here are the photos my shaper sent me. I haven't picked it up yet cause he said it would still need a couple of weeks after the hot coat. Can't wait to try it though! - Couldn't wait to show the pictures either but I'll post a ride report after a couple of sessions.

Et voilà... 5'5" x 22" x 3", 50x50 rails and tail concave.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

littlefoot

Postby littlefoot » Fri May 27, 2011 8:03 am

Oh and thanks a lot for your feedback guys. I was a bit reluctant due to the "length" but I think it'll suit me fine for my 150lb. Somebody said go pick on someone your own size. And I did :-D
littlefoot

Postby Rickyroughneck » Fri May 27, 2011 12:58 pm

That is a sweet board Littlefoot! I am always amazed by how straight the rails can get on some mini-Simmons!

Can anyone outline the advantage of going quad on them? - I would rather just play around with reasonably sized keel fins, unless there is a huge advantage. One of them is definitely somewhere along my "to buy" list :D
Rickyroughneck

Postby littlefoot » Fri May 27, 2011 2:49 pm

The guy who shaped it actually made an asymmetric version for himself, i.e. half-quad setup for backside and a single keel for frontside surfing. Said it made it easier to surf backside with the half-quad setup, even better than his twinzer version. I still have to ride this one though but I should think it will make it a bit more stable for steeper waves.

In any case, the quad setup would allow you to mix it up a bit. I've got some stabilisers on my longboard which I'll surely try out after a few sessions with these standard fins.
littlefoot

Postby Kirk3 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:28 pm

Littlefoot, that looks really nice! Good score.
Kirk3

Postby more » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:00 am

not hard to ride but take a bit of gettin used to like they already said but these babies go great, I love em in alot of diff waves .... 8)

www.moresurfboards.com
more

Postby kayu » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:36 am

littlefoot wrote:Well my new quad simmons is ready and waiting so here are the photos my shaper sent me. I haven't picked it up yet cause he said it would still need a couple of weeks after the hot coat. Can't wait to try it though! - Couldn't wait to show the pictures either but I'll post a ride report after a couple of sessions.

Et voilà... 5'5" x 22" x 3", 50x50 rails and tail concave.

Got the Simm in the water yet L/F ?....
kayu

Postby littlefoot » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:54 am

Hey more, those boards look smashin. "Da Bomb" 8)
I've had quite a few sessions with it Kayu. Proper stoked. It's definately faster than my shortboard. I mean a well pumped thruster can do a lot but this one really seems to do it for you. No BS. After about 6-7 sessions I'm getting the hang of surfing backside with it, which is much trickier than on my other board. I need to crouch down a bit more but not as much as I expected. It's a good job I had it made with the quad setup. Bottom turns seemed to get too drawn out on the first couple of sessions, sliding down like mad, so much that I'd almost get closed in and not make the wall but I've managed to avoid that after a couple of sessions without much trouble. Yesterday I was making sections I definately wouldn't have made before. It was a choppy day with onshore wind, really flat mushy waves at times but the speed was just thrilling.
A couple of times I spontaneously put my front foot right up to the nose like a cheater hang five so as not to get left behind on the crappier waves. Never would have expected that on such a short board. I think I'll end up taking it out on most conditions too. I've installed a grip on it. Just can't get used to surfing without one. Is it sacrilege? :mrgreen:

It all makes me think I'll see a considerable improvement in terms of balance when I get back to my thruster some day.

PS. To round the evening off I saw a bloke going in with one of these. Well, well...

The guy told me he also owns a Minisimmons, several bonzers, quads and other freaky stuff, at least for local standards. Isn't it great.
And he DID catch waves on it.
BTW, Board swap pending...

Littlefoot.
littlefoot

Postby kayu » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:35 pm

littlefoot wrote:Hey more, those boards look smashin. "Da Bomb" 8)
I've had quite a few sessions with it Kayu. Proper stoked. It's definately faster than my shortboard. I mean a well pumped thruster can do a lot but this one really seems to do it for you. No BS. After about 6-7 sessions I'm getting the hang of surfing backside with it, which is much trickier than on my other board. I need to crouch down a bit more but not as much as I expected. It's a good job I had it made with the quad setup. Bottom turns seemed to get too drawn out on the first couple of sessions, sliding down like mad, so much that I'd almost get closed in and not make the wall but I've managed to avoid that after a couple of sessions without much trouble. Yesterday I was making sections I definately wouldn't have made before. It was a choppy day with onshore wind, really flat mushy waves at times but the speed was just thrilling.
A couple of times I spontaneously put my front foot right up to the nose like a cheater hang five so as not to get left behind on the crappier waves. Never would have expected that on such a short board. I think I'll end up taking it out on most conditions too. I've installed a grip on it. Just can't get used to surfing without one. Is it sacrilege? :mrgreen:

Littlefoot.

What's it got in the way of bottom contours?
kayu

Postby littlefoot » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:46 pm

The alaia or the minisimmons? The minisimmons has quite a deep single concave running through the rear half. Not at all subtle; you can see it at first glance without having to run your hand along. It's supposed to compensate the lack of tail rocker among other functions but I don't understand much about bottom contours anyway. It's about as deep and long as the concave on the alaia, which is quite a lot.
littlefoot

Postby royal » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:58 am

just came across this thread by accident, but the timing is perfect in a sense...

I personally prefer these boards as a quad, as blasphemous as that sounds. The twins are super fun for sure, but as a quad I find they have more control without sacrificing speed. The caveat being the boards I make are heavily foiled in comparison to the standard versions.

It is worth noting that I don't like quads on boards with narrow tails, as in standard shortboards. I find they really only light up on wide tailed boards such as eggs, fish, stubs, and the like. The added fin area and the wide tails are made for each other, and make riding the simmon's boards in solid surf a real possibility.

anyway, just my thoughts on it, and not final by any means...
royal

Postby more » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:01 am

I know what ya saying but I really enjoy my dim-SIM ( my more curvy and rockered and narrower version of the mini simms ) with the twin keels, have tuned the fins and placement to get a stack of performance and not just cruisy flow, can surf em hard and do just about any turn that a shorty can....but as for the quads on shorties, have to disagree there mate, I do a shorty called "The Quadfather" which is a wider, flatter shorty with quad fins, they are set in McKee placement but have tuned in templates to go really sweet, but it is wider as you say in the tail area, fuller planshape all over actually but they are a ton of fun...and handle alot of conditions from small to bigger than you'd think, or I would have thought until tested em out....not trying to myself a wrap here, just interesting to see what diff thoughts shapers have on diff stuff, plus we surf very different wave types no doubt, so many variables, it is hard to compare really but interesting none the less....

I havent done many dim-SIMs as quads as yet, and havent done myself one but only coz the twins are sooo much fun as is, but I plan on doin a few real soon, money money money, the old story, plenty of ideas but no coin, gggrrrrr....... 8)
more

Postby royal » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:02 am

more wrote: it is wider as you say in the tail area, fuller planshape all over actually but they are a ton of fun...)

bingo! my point exactly! Combine a quad set up with a narrow tail, and it gets really stiff - the exception being round or pin tails. This is a good thing for guns or step ups, or boards used in powerful surf, of course.

your boards look fun, and i'm sure work just fine. horses for courses as you said!
royal

Postby Surf Fuerteventura » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:26 am

littlefoot wrote:Et voilà... 5'5" x 22" x 3", 50x50 rails and tail concave.

CHUSMA SURFBOARDS!!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

I'll be seeing Chus at the end of this month at the Salinas Longboard Festival 10th edition.

Can't wait to let him know I saw one of his little boards on here. He'll get a kick out of it for sure! Enjoy the ride/glide.... :occasion5:

Cheers,
:occasion5:
Surf Fuerteventura
Surf Fuerteventura

Postby littlefoot » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:25 am

Salinas! Me and my girlfriend might make a little escapade ourselves. No longboard though; just the little "shoe". 8)
littlefoot

Postby littlefoot » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:26 am

BTW, he's already shaped quite a few boards for people on the Canary islands, including a Minisimmons too.
littlefoot

Postby kayu » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:38 am

Chus got a website?... 8)
kayu

Postby littlefoot » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:43 pm

Yeah. He's got a blog. It's in Spanish though. http://chusmasurfboards.blogspot.com/
littlefoot

Postby more » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:51 pm

after having ridden my mini's for about 1 year now, I own 3 but all are out on loan for trial and testing atm, so I find myself without one...It sucks, for me, they are a 'must have' in the quiver, glad its flat coz dont even wanna surf anything else....as for the title of this thread and my current answer is ' they are hard not to ride'..... 8)

www.moresurfboards.com
more

Postby kayu » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:29 am

littlefoot wrote:Yeah. He's got a blog. It's in Spanish though. http://chusmasurfboards.blogspot.com/

.....checked the blog !....nice bottom on his mini-sim......nice finish too.. 8)
Attachments
Chusma's short Simmons.jpg
Chusma's short Simmons.jpg (24.45 KiB) Viewed 2502 times
kayu

Postby more » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:40 pm

Image team rider, Sharon Jackson on her 5'2" x 21" x 2 11/16" 8)
more

Postby gower boy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:38 pm

roger cooper made me a 5,8 mini sims flys in most conditions.
and it only cost me£350 notes with a full spray and gloss finish took him half a year to make it though.
gower boy

Postby lajolla » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:09 pm

man that channeled quad mini on page one is a BEAUTY. not meaning to ask a dumb question, but at the risk of asking one -- what do you guys think are the benefits of the channels? do they make a difference in the maneuverability of the board?

i ride a 5'6" x 21 x 2 1/2 quad mini w/ no concave (i'm around 5'9, 150 lbs) and love it, though it's true that it's not the easiest board to maneuver at first, especially after being used to longboards and funboards. but it's all a matter of getting used to.

great thread. thanks for all the contributions.
Mai Huli ‘oe i Kokua o Ke Kai
lajolla

Postby lajolla » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:26 pm

oh, and here's a pic of my quad mini

fiberglass, btw, no problems there. yeah, they're kinda hard to duckdive with as compared to shorties, but you get used to it (and develop some muscles taboot)

Mai Huli ‘oe i Kokua o Ke Kai
lajolla

Postby zboy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:28 pm

have 4.11 tyler warren bar of soap shape its a copy i call it the tea tray,glassed on fins its a blast.this one is a little hard more rider in put needed.
zboy

Previous

Return to General