New board prices

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

New board prices

Postby manbearpig » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:22 pm

Is anyone still buying surfboards in the UK?
MSW shop selling shortboards at £600+
Just makes me wonder who is supporting this crazyness.
Anyone willing to pay that sort of money deserves to be ripped off I guess, so fair enough to the shops. But at the same time, I would also like to extend my middle finger and say a big F**K YOU to every surf shop in the UK.
Buy in bulk and buy overseas, pay the actual worth of a top shapers time.
Dont support these kooks.
manbearpig

Re: New board prices

Postby Chrisc161076 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:47 pm

Think the shops are buying surftechs from surfcom at around £470, everyone see's what the shops sell for but not surfcom... Hit up Pat at chapelidne great guy who has always given me excellent deals and an awseome service!
Chrisc161076

Postby skimmer2 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:57 pm

No idea what you pay for a quality custom UK shortboard ....£400 or so? You can get a darn good new custom longboard for £600.

I think a custom board might take around 15 man hours to make (?) so that is £40 an hour...but then you have to take into account all the materials and of course pay for the expertise of the workmanship. Can't see there's much of a profit left after that. Don't think the majority are in it for the money....more like a goal to make a decent living and have a lifestyle doing what they want to do.

Tough market out there...folk have money worries too...but they surfing is on the up in terms of numbers....so what are they buying?
skimmer2

Postby Underdog » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:40 pm

manbearpig wrote:Is anyone still buying surfboards in the UK?
Anyone willing to pay that sort of money deserves to be ripped off I guess, so fair enough to the shops. But at the same time, I would also like to extend my middle finger and say a big F**K YOU to every surf shop in the UK.

Sorry mate, but my psychic powers are a bit below par tonight and my ipod "bollocks translator" app has jammed so..........
can you tell me what the fuck you are on about? I've read the above 6 1/2 times and still come to the conclusion that you are
having an argument with yourself.

(Not that that is a bad thing..........It is pretty easy to disagree with most of the things you post :wink: )
Godrevy; Just like surfing. but smaller (and without the power)
Underdog

Postby roberdy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:50 pm

manbearpig wrote:Buy in bulk and buy overseas, pay the actual worth of a top shapers time.

What kind of bs contradiction is this?
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby manbearpig » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:53 pm

Underdog wrote:
manbearpig wrote:Is anyone still buying surfboards in the UK?

Sorry mate, but my psychic powers are a bit below par tonight and my ipod "bollocks translator" app has jammed so..........
can you tell me what the fuck you are on about? I've read the above 6 1/2 times and still come to the conclusion that you are
having an argument with yourself.

(Not that that is a bad thing..........It is pretty easy to disagree with most of the things you post :wink: )

not arguing with myself, just wondering who the hell pays £600 for a shortboard online or off the rack.
manbearpig

Postby manbearpig » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:56 pm

roberdy wrote:
manbearpig wrote:Buy in bulk and buy overseas, pay the actual worth of a top shapers time.

that is no BS contradiction.
take a short trip to US or AUS and see the real value of a surfboard.
manbearpig

Postby ATTMFKH » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:57 pm

roberdy wrote:

Think he means that's what the shops do ................ & the purchaser should employ the services of a foam mower :wink:
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Chai Wallah » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:33 pm

Knock 20% of the value of MSW for VAT, then also knock off the import duty, shipping costs, their margin as retail sellers etc then you get the value of boards - Most of MSW boards are imports which have been adversely affected by the weak pound in the last couple of years as have all wetsuits in this country.

Top UK shapers do Short boards for £350-400 and Longboards for £550-650
Chai Wallah

Postby Vince Noir » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:17 pm

Buy second hand.do your shoppin wisely,get a bargin and save on carbon footprint etc by reusing.the margin on boards these days are terrible and people expect the retailer to give a bit of discount on everything.
Vince Noir

Postby Black » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:03 pm

There was a time when you couldn't give a longboard away.... those were the days! :lol:
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Leedsol » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:06 am

Vince Noir wrote:Buy second hand.do your shoppin wisely,get a bargin and save on carbon footprint etc by reusing.the margin on boards these days are terrible and people expect the retailer to give a bit of discount on everything.

Aye wot he said - plenty of fashion chasing self-aggrandisers and also good surfers fine tuning their shapes to provide enough mini-sims, fishes, hulls,..[insert current fad] for the second hand market with many being seemingly unridden. Don't see too many bonzers on the 2nd hand market mind :wink:
You're too deep Camel..its Indo not Margaret River
Leedsol

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:29 am

I'm not a fanatical nationalist but the price of these boards at £600+ is too much for most people to consider. That's why buying British is maybe the best option, afterall they're best placed to know what British surfers need and want right? As it says above buy second hand, be patient for the the right board to come up for sale. Let's face it, the majority of surfers looking to buy boards rather than have them supplied by a sponsor are going to be able to find something to suit their needs second hand or from a local shaper at less than half the cost.

As for who buys these boards...
Jim Birtwisle

Postby Werwulf1919 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:10 am

The retail mark up on a new board is really low...if the stores actually put the normal GP on a board we would be looking at just under a grand for a Longboard & £800 plus for a shortboard so...swings and roundabouts...
http://mohawkeastcoastsurf.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/edmohawk1919
Werwulf1919

Postby BurtRacoon » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:08 pm

I always have a look whenever I'm abroad and have concluded that it is always cheaper back home, the Euro value doesn't help much.
BurtRacoon

Postby WP101 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:48 am

as said before, buy 2nd hand if you can
...peoples views on what something is worth has become massively skewed by cheap Chinese produced shite, a good surfboard made the old fashioned way has got to be worth £400+ considering the labour costs and the increased energy costs etc IMO
WP101

Postby The Weegie » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:11 pm

skimmer2 wrote:No idea what you pay for a quality custom UK shortboard ....£400 or so? You can get a darn good new custom longboard for £600.

I was very pleasantly surprised when I bumped into a well known east coast shaper when I was over at the weekend. He shaped my current first shortboard (I bought it off someone 4-5yrs ago) and I feel ready for a change, something a bit smaller but still with a bit of width and volume. We talked a few numbers and the price he came back with very reasonable, obviously final price will depend on asthetics, type of finish etc but I have a ballpark figure to play with now. On top of that, he will allow me to trade in my current shortboard for a reasonable price too, so I'm hoping my next board fix will be sooner rather than later.

Moral of my story, have faith in your local shaper, if you don't ask, you don't get.
The Weegie

Postby mr vic » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:55 am

I picked up a new custom in June for £315 and I have been very happy with it. Well made too. mid october now, and it has been used on average 1 -2 times per week and the board is still looking new. The fact I paid for it with my Euro's also helped! :-D

I think many people get sucked into the whole marketing thing too much by the big brands. Of course the big names have made a name for themselves because they are good shapers, but when you buy one of those, they have not personally made it, it is simply one of their designs. also, it is usually made to stock dimensions as well, so not personalised to your own needs. I am not denying that they make good boards, but suddenly putting a Merrick/lost/Bradley under your feet isn't going to make you start ripping. there are plenty of good shapers out there who understand the local conditions know what should work for the waves you surf
mr vic

Postby well-chilled-out » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:22 pm

polyester surfboard average cost prices for a 6ft board.
blank average £60
40z cloth x £30
resin x £30
chemicals ( wax/styrene) £4
plugs / fin set £40
leash plug £2.50
cnc shaping plus finishing time labour £50
air brush labour £35
glassing labour £ 40
finishing labour £40
wastage ( sanding discs/brushes/Acetone/polishing compound/materials depreciation/electric/heating) £60
total £391.50
plus 30% profit margin to shops
retailer 30% plus 20% VAT...

Taking this into account, British made boards are sold way below true value..Anything made from petroleum based products are & will continue to increase in cost...Thee is very little margin in surfboards,that's why so called surf shops sell clothing as retail space is better used for clothing racks than a single surfboard..
Support your local shaper,he's doing it for love not money..
well-chilled-out

Postby Chai Wallah » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:16 pm

well-chilled-out wrote:polyester surfboard average cost prices for a 6ft board.
blank average £60
40z cloth x £30
resin x £30
chemicals ( wax/styrene) £4
plugs / fin set £40
leash plug £2.50
cnc shaping plus finishing time labour £50
air brush labour £35
glassing labour £ 40
finishing labour £40
wastage ( sanding discs/brushes/Acetone/polishing compound/materials depreciation/electric/heating) £60
total £391.50
plus 30% profit margin to shops
retailer 30% plus 20% VAT...

Taking this into account, British made boards are sold way below true value..Anything made from petroleum based products are & will continue to increase in cost...Thee is very little margin in surfboards,that's why so called surf shops sell clothing as retail space is better used for clothing racks than a single surfboard..
Support your local shaper,he's doing it for love not money..

^^LIKE^^
Chai Wallah

Postby buttholesurfer » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:32 am

Boards are very much cheaper in the UK... Went to the Sled Shed in Bali today for a quick looky looky. I'd say about £50 or more expensive than home. Boards in Oz are expensive as hell due to the strong Oz dollar.
Buy in bulk?!
On another note ... Dreamland my ass, place is a shit hole!!!!
buttholesurfer

Postby FairiesWearBoots » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:27 pm

I was amazed when looking for a new board how expensive they have become -
went to see Justin Seedhouse in N.Devon last night to get a fish made for me - approx 300 quid, even with new fins extra its still way off the full prices you see online 8)

hardware is always lower margin /\ as someone said, the retailers make their margin from softgoods but its tough if clothing is not selling well
FairiesWearBoots

Postby Chai Wallah » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:36 pm

buttholesurfer wrote:On another note ... Dreamland my ass, place is a shit hole!!!!

You should have been there 14 years ago it was paradise - 11 years ago you only had 2 bamboo noodle shops one ran by Wayan and the other by Made. From photo's I have seen it is one of those many places I would not want to go back to as it would spoil my memory

Hope you are enjoying Bali though and finding decent waves
Chai Wallah

Postby manbearpig » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:37 pm

buttholesurfer wrote:Dreamland my ass, place is a shit hole!!!!

bad luck, you missed it by at least five years (but probably much more like 30)

buttholesurfer wrote:Boards are very much cheaper in the UK

very true, when you are comparing to the small island of bali. but i was thinking more like Aus or US for starters.

buttholesurfer wrote:Boards in Oz are expensive as hell due to the strong Oz dollar.

I admit I am ~2yrs out of date with my exchange rates, maybe the situation has changed... but off the rack boards were around half the UK price of £600+

buttholesurfer wrote:Buy in bulk?!

yea why not talk with your mates and order 10 boards from an overseas or local shaper instead of one at a time.
manbearpig

Postby buttholesurfer » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:51 am

Chai Wallah wrote:
buttholesurfer wrote:On another note ... Dreamland my ass, place is a shit hole!!!!

You should have been there 14 years ago it was paradise - 11 years ago you only had 2 bamboo noodle shops one ran by Wayan and the other by Made. From photo's I have seen it is one of those many places I would not want to go back to as it would spoil my memory

Hope you are enjoying Bali though and finding decent waves

Cheers Chai,
Yep Sanur reef was cranking for 3 days at the start of my trip, 2nd day had some massive sets. Got dropped in by some Jap, came off the back of the wave and just my luck the biggest set of the day came through. Try duck diving in 3' of water with a mountain of white water coming at you... Biggest wave ive ever seen! Lol
Had some really good waves, surfed Kuta for a morning that was shite and Dreamland had some good lefts coming through, but mainly surfed Sanur as the break is right outside my hotel. The traffic for a small island is chaos, never been in so much traffic!
buttholesurfer

Postby Chai Wallah » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:29 am

I hope you and Mrs butt are ok after the quake today.

Sanur us very shallow :) , have you tried nusa or keramas?
Chai Wallah

Postby shackattack2 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:15 am

Foreign shapers help you buddy up with others who put orders in. Matey just got a V2 Tomo shipped over from the states.... Think it worked out about £650 all in wich isn't too bad. He did have to wait 4 months while other boards were made and put into the same container

Still riding my Royal custom I got back in Jan for £295. Baragin!

Yeah BHS, Dreamland is shit....looks so out of place. The break itself is a mushy closeout too. Sanur is the much nicer side of Bali. I see theres a big swell coming your way...get the ferry to Lembongin/Desert Point!
http://tomsandbasil.com/
shackattack2

Postby mal-nourished » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:24 am

sanur is a mint wave allways remnded me of little avalon surfing it had some really long barrells at both... 8)
mal-nourished

Postby buttholesurfer » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:42 pm

Chai Wallah wrote:I hope you and Mrs butt are ok after the quake today.

Sanur us very shallow :) , have you tried nusa or keramas?

Yep not a very nice experience that quake, felt one in San Fran, but nothing as strong as that one!
buttholesurfer

Postby shackattack2 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:52 pm

Much damage done? Only felt one small quake the times Ive been round there, and that was un-nerving
http://tomsandbasil.com/
shackattack2

Next

Return to General