C'mon... introduce yerself

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Re: C'mon... introduce yerself

Postby Silas » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:23 pm

Name: Ryan
Homebreak: Aberdeen beach
Board: 6'7 Resin8 Sam Egan Squash tail, 7'10 NSP Funboard

Just started surfing at the tail end of last winter, flatmate got me into it as he's been surfing for a few years. Went to university up here and now working offshore so loads of free time for surfing when I'm home. My flat is down at the beach so I'm out whenever there's some swell. Would be good to meet some other folk who surf around here, only surf with the flatmate or on my own at the moment, kicking myself for not joining the uni surf club when I was still a student!
Silas

Postby JON METCALFE » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:59 pm

O.K. here we go...
My name is Jon...I am an addict...I am addicted to surfing...I am a longboarder...
I first started to surf in 1985, at Saltburn, after a drunken weekend away with my friends...Things have never been the same since...
I am an average surfer but love what I do...
I have 2 longboards but am constantly looking for the Holy Grail of a board, a board that I don't know exists, the search goes on...
I have travelled a fair bit Ireland, Bali, the Hawaiian islands etc but love the North East coast of England.
I wrote "The Second Wave, My Sufing Life, The Saltburn Way." ...I had read every surfing book I could lay my hands on, enjoyed most but felt the story of the average surfer was never told...if you read/or have read it I hope it puts a smile on your face...
Before I go in the water I try to take some photos, some on MSW...and have tried making short films, follow link below, gives you a bit of an idea where I surf...
... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt-K8wff ... tailpage...
I love to surf with friends and most of all with my family...
Take it easy, enjoy your surfing and see you in the water someday...
JON METCALFE

Postby roberdy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:05 pm

Welcome Jon, really like the video, talk about the changing faces of Saltburn :) from one north easter (bit further north though) to another I can relate to the drive to the beach with snow on the roads, pavements, fields, beach etc...

Were like Surfers Semi Anonymous round here....
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby JON METCALFE » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:41 am

Good to have fellow North East coasters on here, sometimes it's difficult to explain how bloody cold it gets...
not sure if you saw this, a bit further North...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... IpKvF2zWQU
JON METCALFE

Postby TonyB » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:57 pm

Just found the Introduce Yourself thread...

Names Tony, live in Swindon but a native of Teesside. Started surfing this year and have a Down the Line mini mal which is well battered but still goes alright. Still at the trying to stand up in the white water stage but having fun all the same. Also skate a bit, which may or may not help.
TonyB

Postby dermo909 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:43 am

Hi there! Longtime lurker from south east Ireland here!

My name is Dermot and I started surfing a couple of years ago. Obsessed and addicted to surfing is an accurate description of me! I usually try to surf at least 3/4 times a week and am happy enough in waves up to around head high. After that I start freaking out a little bit as I cant really duck dive my boards too well.

My normal spot is Tramore and while its not a glamorous break it offers me enough of a challenge for my skill level. It can be a heavy enough beach break with near constant on-shore winds but when it turns on, its amazing. Unfortunately it goes flat a lot though which is slightly annoying when you're dying to get wet!

I surf either an NXR(escape) 9'1" on the smaller/cleaner days or a Cortez 7'6" in the bigger/messier days. I love the NXR, it absolutely flies on all types of waves. It'll even pick up tiny ripples! My fave move on that board is a hand drag in the wave face when its walled up nicely :D The Cortez is a great board too and is great fun when the waves start getting larger. It may be a beginners board but when the waves start getting above a couple of feet its like a rocket. I love getting into a good wave on that, it never fails to bring a smile to my face! I did change the fins on it though to proper FCS M5 ones which definitely tightened up the back end. If you own one of these boards, take off the original plastic fins and put proper ones on it!

I cant remember if you have to describe a good session or not but here goes:
Best surf ever was with mates this summer in Fermoyle, Co. Kerry. It was the hottest day of the year(about 28c) with no wind. Surf was about 1ft so after a swim we grabbed our longboards and surfed leashless in board shorts for an hour. The scenery combined with the weather and board shorts made it one of the best surfs ever.

I'm looking forward to chatting with you all!
dermo909

Postby gordy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:53 pm

Hi just a short introduction of my self.... well where to start, I started surfing last year aged 41 I had the chance to have ago a few years ago when I lived up in Northumberland for 7 years but declined as thought I was too old, But when on holiday in Perranporth last year decided to give it ago and hired a board for a week and fell in love with it, but the only problem now is I live back in Sheffield and the nearest surf is about hour and 45mins away, I try to get to Cayton Bay when possible and go back down cornwall every year. I'm not very good at the moment as short on surf time but can't wait to get back in the water.... :D
gordy

Postby Kayaksnbeer » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:07 am

Hi there. Not sure if I'm allowed to be here, everyone else seems to be a boardie and I do kayaks but, hey, we both enjoy the same thing, right? Namely what happens when swell hits the beach.

I'm not even allowed in surf kayak circles since I surf longboats. Anyway, I've been using this site to predict surf for a couple of years now and just noticed the forum so I figured I'd join up just in case there's anyone else like me on here. Failing that I'd settle for just someone to talk to. It's a lonely life surfing sea kayaks. :cry:

My local spot is Bellhaven in Dunbar. If you go there you might have seen me - I'm the guy who doesn't wear a helmet, so even the rest of the kayakers have a reason to hate me.

Here's a video of me out in my new boat at the weekend. Break was small (about 3-4 feet) but plenty fun and runnable, last couple of times I've been there it's been mush which is fun in a kayak but not as much fun as the smooth stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ndNsxsDtzY
Kayaksnbeer

Postby roberdy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:14 pm

Kayaksnbeer wrote:Hi there. Not sure if I'm allowed to be here, everyone else seems to be a boardie and I do kayaks but, hey, we both enjoy the same thing, right? Namely what happens when swell hits the beach. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ndNsxsDtzY

Dude, welcome, most folk get some stick on here at one point or another, if you can take it with a pinch of salt then you'll be golden :)
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Kayaksnbeer » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:35 pm

roberdy wrote:
Kayaksnbeer wrote:Hi there. Not sure if I'm allowed to be here, everyone else seems to be a boardie and I do kayaks but, hey, we both enjoy the same thing, right? Namely what happens when swell hits the beach. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ndNsxsDtzY

Dude, welcome, most folk get some stick on here at one point or another, if you can take it with a pinch of salt then you'll be golden :)

Cheers! No worries there, mate. So do you have any other kayakers on here or am I the only weirdo?
Kayaksnbeer

Postby roberdy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:46 pm

think you and surfonyourbum might have something paddly in common, you'll need to check with him about that though!
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Kayaksnbeer » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:59 pm

LOL - brilliant name for a kayak surfer! :lol:
Kayaksnbeer

Postby danedwards » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:02 pm

Hi, my name is Dan and I'm a web designer from Chichester (South Coast, UK).

I have worked for several online retailers as their web designer and have not been in the water for about a year, looking to get back in again!

Look forward to being part of the community here on MSW :)
danedwards

Postby KyleEvans » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:03 pm

Hello, my name is Kyle and I live in North Wales. My local break is Hells Mouth. I am fairly new to surfing but I have lived the culture all my life, and have only just bought my first board. My board is a 6'6 G.S.I 7S Fuse, which I have already fallen in love with! Unfortunately when I was out my brother decided he wanted to have a look at my board and he knocked the underside and nose of the board! :!: He received a sufficient amount of words from me when I found out! Now there's a small crack next to the nose and I went over it with a pin to see if it would catch and it didn't, but can I ask, are those cracks normal or do they need to be sorted? :?:
...anyway that's my story. Thanks
KyleEvans

Postby CelticConnectionSurf » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:50 pm

Hi there, My names Alex and i'm working with Carl Welton at Celtic Connection Surfboards.

Carl makes boards for pro surfers Reubyn and Joss Ash amongst a range of surfers of all abilities and ages .We're based in Bude Cornwall.

Have found the forum interesting and have been an occasional visiter since the early days. Hoping to be an active and positive member in the future.

Glad to be a part of MSW Surf Community

Cheers.
http://www.facebook.com/WeltonShapes
http://www.twitter.com/WeltonShapes
CelticConnectionSurf

Postby roberdy » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:51 pm

Welcome along Alex!
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby surfranga71 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:04 pm

Finally got round to registering and now its introduction time.

My name's Paul, 42. 4th year surfing so a very late starter.

Come from Plymouth but live in Newbury so, many diesel£'s needed for surfing. Most trips are to Pembs or Norrf Demm, with occasional South coast visit.

Been surfing on a 7' 6 hard wearing, taken a battering minimal, but hoping that this year, Father Christmas will help me change to something magic carpety!

Cheers everyone
surfranga71

doncaster surfer?

Postby gav 99 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:33 pm

hello, my name is gav ...im 35 years old ,from doncaster and i love shagging..ha ha
i surf as often as i can around the scarborough area usually 3 or 4 times a month, if im a good boy my mum and dad have a caravan in cornwall and i take my beautiful wife and 2 children ,,,and my surf board !! which is a 9'4 custard point single fin longboard {lime green colour}...
i have been surfing for around 2 years and cant get enough of it {surfed well into the dark today in south bay scarbro'!} so if you see me around say hi as i dont have any surf buddys yet...i drive a red t4, i weigh about 16.10 st, in the winter and i look a bit like grant mitchell,,,
gav 99

Postby hammondo » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:31 pm

Hi,

I'm Steve, live in North Devon and have been surfing since I moved here about 2 1/2 years ago. Currently ride a 9'6" Saunton foil I had made for me and a 7' quiver magic carpet. I've got a 6'6" speed dialer on order for the new year too 8) I don't think I'll manage to ride anything smaller than that as I'm 37 :-(

Really want to surf somewhere warm, only ever ridden waves down here in the south west and it is getting a chilly at the minute.
hammondo

Postby lastexit » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:20 pm

Hi my names Gio, recently got back into surfing after 20yrs away, Not sure if i'm addicted but try to get in the water twice at weekends and whenever work ( or daylight ) permits.
Ok so maybe slightly addicted with a hint of mid life crisis thrown in, but what the hell!
lastexit

Postby Philshoz » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:34 am

[quote="hammondo"]Hi, I've got a 6'6" speed dialer on order for the new year too 8) I don't think I'll manage to ride anything smaller than that as I'm 37 :-( quote]

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum.

Don't rule out a shorter board. I'm 57 and ride a 6' 3" ........Remember, foam is your friend......... 8)
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby hammondo » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:34 pm

Philshoz wrote:
hammondo wrote:Hi, I've got a 6'6" speed dialer on order for the new year too 8) I don't think I'll manage to ride anything smaller than that as I'm 37 :-( quote]

Don't rule out a shorter board. I'm 57 and ride a 6' 3" ........Remember, foam is your friend......... 8)

Hi Phil,

I'll try to go shorter if I can! I'm a househusband and as of Jan my youngest is going to pre school for 2 half days and also a full day, he also goes to nursery one day a week too. So hoping to get lots of time in the water.

Also want to have try some of the spots in N Devon over reefs, as I've never (intentionally) surfed over reefs before :oops:
hammondo

Postby roberdy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:25 pm

hammondo wrote:
Philshoz wrote:
hammondo wrote:Hi, I've got a 6'6" speed dialer on order for the new year too 8) I don't think I'll manage to ride anything smaller than that as I'm 37 :-( quote]

Hi Phil,

I'll try to go shorter if I can! I'm a househusband and as of Jan my youngest is going to pre school for 2 half days and also a full day, he also goes to nursery one day a week too. So hoping to get lots of time in the water.

Also want to have try some of the spots in N Devon over reefs, as I've never (intentionally) surfed over reefs before :oops:

I'm 37 and I ride a 6'0 :) (it's 5 inches thick though...)
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby 42naminori » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:25 pm

Howdee! I'm posting from Japan. I just moved here last year from Hawaii where I spent a good half or more of my life. I have a severe surfing addiction. I try to get out on a daily basis and if I cant get out it is usually due to flu which I almost never get. I like body surfing, short boarding, long boarding and swimming. I shape and glass my own and a few for others. I used to do professional ding repair and have done just about every type of repair imaginable. I relish the itch and love to wash it off with salt water. Just to stir the pot a little bit, I have also ridden the FP 13 and had a great time on it.
42naminori

Postby Kamikaze » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:47 pm

42naminori wrote:Howdee! I'm posting from Japan. I just moved here last year from

Envious Moi !

Which bit of Japan are you in?
Kamikaze

Postby 42naminori » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:54 am

Irago/Shizuoka area.
42naminori

Postby hammondo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:51 am

roberdy wrote:
hammondo wrote:Hi Phil,

I'm 37 and I ride a 6'0 :) (it's 5 inches thick though...)

There's hope for me yet then :-D
hammondo

Postby Black » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:17 am

42naminori wrote: I have also ridden the FP 13 and had a great time on it.
:shock:
Missed that first time! Any chance of a slight elaboration, if not this thread then another?
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby 42naminori » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:21 pm

I picked it up from Gmac and had the board for a few months before I moved to Japan. I blew the dust off of it and paddled it out on a couple of select days in the Waikiki area. The first thing I noticed in the water was how the wood feels alive in a way with the flexing and the sounds it makes. I remember sitting about 15 feet outside and over on the left practicing swinging the board around...that's the hardest thing about surfing it...when a wave I was sure I wouldn't catch but I thought I'd paddle for anyway came and I just almost caught it..The rest was easy. I sat on the left and could catch the waves so early that I'd be able to catch up to the longer better right. Staying on the central riding position of the board was a bit counter intuitive to me as a predominate shortboarder but when I stepped back it would start to plow so in the middle I rode. The board covered a lot of ground and made a few sections I wouldn't have otherwise on a longboard. I tried to bring it to Japan but freight was too much so I passed it off to an interesting fellow that Roy had arraigned to care for it. Neat board. I wouldn't want to surf it everyday but there are many where it would do a nice job. I did not use it as a dinner table as the wife playfully suggested. It was just barely able to fit inside of a Toyota Previa to my surprise as well.
42naminori

Postby Black » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:50 pm

Thanks for that, interesting to get another independent view and that you didn't receive any death threats!! :lol:
Never growing old together...
Black

PreviousNext

Return to General