C'mon... introduce yerself

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Re: C'mon... introduce yerself

Postby joshservi » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:11 am

Just read this after i signed up... pretty sick
Name: Josh
Hometown: north san diego (oceanside)
Local spot: Oceanside harbor
Favorite spot: big rock la jolla, el morro laguna, trestles, bird rock, 56th street, everywhere else in the world
Male
love free surfing
surf for fun and nothing else
surf how i want when i want where i want
love the word "free"
future plans: live in a van cruising up and down california surfing
love retro boards
quiver- 5 11 stardard shortboard, 6 1 pintail, 5 4 twinzer, 5 10 fish, 9 6 noserider, 6 8 single fin. 5 10 standard shortboard, 7 6 egg, 8 foamboard (finless), handplanes...
without surfing i think i would be a emo kid in the corner cutting myself or something, God and surfing bring so much joy to my life. I think everyone should just take a moment and step back and realize how amazing life is, dont waste a second of it, and dont complain. be happy with what you get because there will always be someone who has a worse life than you.
Thanks and God bless!
joshservi

Postby sandygroyne » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:46 pm

Sandygroyne here, quite supprised that name was still available.

Moved up to the North East, well York, a couple months ago from Cornwall where I've been surfing for a couple of years, stupidly only packed one board thinking that was it for my surfing life! But these boards seem to be filled with you ice cream headache resistant folk.

So making a new start away from old friends I've decided to trade in the real world for that of internet friends, much easier than actually talking to people!!

Cheers!

SG
sandygroyne

Postby dubsteps » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:45 pm

heyup I'm Ian I'm 20 from south west cornwall, been surfing off and on for a few years, but being in uni I've been skint and have been using my brothers boards, I surf Gwithian, port towan, and fistral 8)

Looking to get my own board now as I think my bro is getting fed up with me nicking his boards :lol:

seems like a friendly place and I think I've already found a possible board 8)
dubsteps

Postby 72taz » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:01 am

Name Taz

Age 30 something :roll:

LocationSW Cornwall 8)

Board Hobie Peter Pan mini ml 7'4" and a 9'6" down the line, longboard

Surf Gwithian, Porthtowan, Sennen sometimes the south coast when I can't be arsed to drive to the north coast :lol:
72taz

Postby roberdy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:01 pm

72taz wrote:Name Taz

LocationSW Cornwall 8)

Surf Gwithian, Porthtowan, Sennen sometimes the south coast when I can't be arsed to drive to the north coast :lol:

hey Taz, welcome, tell me, have you ever been to Greece?
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby 72taz » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:06 pm

roberdy wrote:
72taz wrote:Name Taz

LocationSW Cornwall 8)

hey Taz, welcome, tell me, have you ever been to Greece?

Nope but my family are Italian 8)
72taz

Postby stryder » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:42 pm

Hi, my name is Andy, 26, and I'm recently beginner to surfing and looking forward to doing some more.

I live in East Anglia, UK, and am keen to meet up with any fellow surfers in this part of the world, so feel free to give me a shout if you do!

Peace.
stryder

Postby Ger » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:26 am

Names Ger , 23 years old and i live on the Llyn peninsula, just the other side of the peninsula from Abersoch and hells mouth. Just started surfing and looking for a board
Ger

Postby kevhanson » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:44 pm

hi im kev and live in sunderland and 26 years old, started to learn to surf about a year ago and love it even tho the curve is pretty steep in the nice ice'y waters of the north east coast, met a few really decent ppl on the local beaches and been offered some really good advice, seems like a really tight community keep up the good work guys and i apologise now for been in the way on the best set (its guaranteed to happen somewhere lol)
kevhanson

Postby Gazz B » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:25 pm

Name: Gazz Brant
Lives: Hull, England
Surf: East coast. Scarborough. Mainly Cayton bay .
Surf or bodyboard etc: surf only, anything I can grab I'm not the fussy sought.
Board used: 7ft 6" circle one and 6ft 6" JC Shortboard that my better half has just purchased for me.

Any questions just ask . Feel free to email me or add me to MSN also.

Peace out!!!!
Gazz B

Postby Werwulf1919 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:30 am

Welcome all new nor'easters...here's a blog i run for the Scarborough/east coast area if you are interested.-
http://mohawkeastcoastsurf.blogspot.co.uk/
Cheers
Ed
http://mohawkeastcoastsurf.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/edmohawk1919
Werwulf1919

Postby briggfoot » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:02 pm

Hello there,
Well, I spend far too long reading/lurking on this forum, so though it'd be rude not to say hello.

Name: Andy, mid-twenties
Life story:
got the surfing bug as a kid one a 2 week holiday to Cornwall, where we were fortunate enough to be introduced to the late, great Mark Neville, who showed us round his factory and lent me a board, but living in the Midlands with parents not willing to take me to the coast, it has existed just as a hunger for the last 15+ years, watching surf films etc.

In part, I got my current job because I knew I could be based in the South-West which could facilitate my surfing. A years hard-work later and I'm just beginning to live the dream, trying to satisfy that surf-craving with as many sessions as possible, dare I say it, sometimes at the expense of my work, one of my boss's surfs, so if you're reading this - only joking!
Just about to specialize my job to hopefully end-up even closer to my adopted local breaks so hopefully less travelling time then!

First surf trip to Portugal this Easter, and my mind is allways on my next surf.

all the best folks
briggfoot

Postby Coop! » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:59 am

hey!
Adam, 21 from the midlands :-x have been surfing for a few years now, whenever its possible to get to the coast, just purchased my first board, a 7'6 RC minimal.
very much looking forward to my two week long trip to the coast soon to test out the board, seems like theres lots of helpfull folk on here so in advance i would like to say a big thankyou! :-D
Coop!

Postby cladtub » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:17 pm

My name is Ed and I am an East Coast Surfer and Great Lakes Surfer. I surf New Jersey and Florida on the East Coast and Lake Erie (one of the Great Lakes) in Pennsylvania.
cladtub

Postby smartonion » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:22 pm

I'm Simon, 32 and a noob here and to surfing. I did a couple of lessons in West Australia a few years ago but a recent lesson whilst on holiday with Surf School Lanzarote got me seriously interested in doing it at home.
I live in Carnoustie, north east Scotland about 20 mins drive from Lunan Bay so keen to hear from anyone who surfs there or anywhere else close(ish).
I also ski, mountain bike and faff around with my power kite :D

Cheers, Simon
smartonion

Postby ceejay » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:45 pm

Hi all,

Name is CJ and whilst not a total beginner at waveriding (up to now have considered myself a fairly competent sponger), I am a total beginner at surfing. Moved from Portsmouth down to Newton Abbot, S.Devon 2 years ago, so aside from the Torbay breaks, my local is Bantham I guess. Been over there with the sponge many times, but always wished I was on a surfboard and actually catching some decent waves!

So, my mission in the coming year(s) is to learn to surf. Going to try and buy a real cheapo second hand swelly (that I can keep fro friends when I progress) or minimal and just head out to Bantham if it's on once or twice a week before work. I've had a weekend of lessons at Croyde, but that was a few years ago now but I can remember how to pop up properly and have actually been practising in the gym lately (got some pretty weird looks).

If anyone's got a cheap swellboard going (pref 8' due to owning a hairdresser's car) and is fairly local, I'd be interested.

Cheers :-D
ceejay

Postby g_baby » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:00 pm

Hi there,
just read the post and thought let's follow the rules.
Name: george.
Homebreak: landlocked in Germany.
Favorite break: Saunton, Puts, Gwithian, Widemouth, Sennen - Mysteries and Bananas in Moroc.
Board: 9'0 Gordon&Smith Teamrider (Tuflite).
Age: too old to become a surfer, but not too old to learn surfing.

I'm interested in everything with hydrodynamics, especially interested in board design, functionality and pure beauty. Hope to gain some experiences in shaping one day. Until then, hope to learn some proper skills to walk on water.
Respect the locals and love to have a chat in the line-up; don't like grumpy fellers.
---
Surf's Out There Somewhere.
g_baby

Postby Philshoz » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:27 am

g_baby wrote:don't like grumpy fellers.

You won't find many of those on here, cough........... :wink:
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby g_baby » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:43 am

Philshoz wrote:cough........... :wink

That's good to know. :x
---
Surf's Out There Somewhere.
g_baby

Postby dewei » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:54 am

Hiya,

I had my first go at surfing about 3 weeks ago. What an unforgettable day! Hard as I imagined but more fun than I dared hope. I've been a few times now and I am now catching and riding (badly) unbroken waves. I am hooked but I do know I've just made the first step in a long and bumpy road. I am in my early forties. I'm realistic about my progress but hey, I'm not too old to have fun!
Last edited by dewei on Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dewei

Postby maxsurfer » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:19 pm

I've just returned to UK after 2 years living in Indo. What a comedown! Poor weather, bad economy and grumpy people in London. Oh well, It can't be all bad
maxsurfer

Postby euan » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:26 pm

Hi all,

It would be rude not to introduce myself:

Name: Euan

Homebreak: North Devon mostly.

Favorite break: silly question - but despite growing up in Brazil, when Lynmouth is working well that's in the top five.

Board: 6'0 Dalhberg, 6'2 Surface (Brazillian) 5'9 Surface Fish.

Age: 32. Got my first surfboard when I was 10, learned to surf in Brazil and moved to Scotland when I was 18

That's probably enough for now eh?
euan

Postby Bettan » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:04 pm

hello,
I am a surfing Swede that is new in the waters since about two months and think I have been bitten by some sort of surfbug, but I am fine with it. I live in pembrokeshire and mainly go down whitesands to surf. As I am fairly new to the area I am still trying to collect some surfbuddies :)
Bettan

Postby chillybin » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:06 am

Thought I should introduce myself on here. Only just joined the other week. I own a surf shop in the beautiful south wales. Been surfing for 20+ years. Ride a lovely Log board and a mini simmons. Born in NZ and moved over here and yes Wales is like NZ just a bit smaller! Anyone needs any surf gear PM me and I will sort it out for you. Cheers Chilly
chillybin

Postby roberdy » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:59 am

Bettan wrote:hello,
I am a surfing Swede that is new in the waters since about two months and think I have been bitten by some sort of surfbug, but I am fine with it. I live in pembrokeshire and mainly go down whitesands to surf. As I am fairly new to the area I am still trying to collect some surfbuddies :)

Tjena Bettan!
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby roberdy » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:00 am

Hey to all you new folks that have joined in the last couple of months, don't forget to read the new user posting condition threads at the top of the general and for sale forums, that way you will keep the moderator from being a grumpy old man!
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby ormondbeachsandlot » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:05 pm

Awesome site
Name: Ormond Beach Sandlot
Hometown: Ormond Beach, Florida
Local spot: Ormond Beach
ormondbeachsandlot

Postby Beardysurf » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:59 pm

Hey, just thought I'd introduce myself

My names George I've been surfing a couple of years, I surf mainly around Aberdeen, though I do travel around, mainly surf shortboard, but love single fin logs

cheers
Beardysurf

Postby khudson22 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:28 pm

Hey!

I'm a student at Plymouth University been surfing/trying to surf for about a year but it was difficult to get there with no car and I have a placement this year hoping to car share after joining the Uni Club - got my own board and wetsuit now!

Caught the bug when I went to France for a week - think of nothing but - haven't been in months but going Friday yipeeeeeeeeeee! x

Nice to meet you all! x
khudson22

Postby Old Groover » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:54 am

I'm Stu,
Been looking at surf forecasts for a while and only just noticed the forum!
Living in the Scottish Borders quite close to both Pease Bay and Coldingham Bay so that's where I'll be going. I drive past on the A1 every work day.
Wrong side of 40 now, I have recently acquired a 9'2" longboard. I shortboarded in my 20's starting in Scotland and have not been on a board since 1996! Moving home and now living nearer the sea has prompted a return attempt at surfing but looking for some mellow smallish waves to try longboarding on, I aint interested in any blown out raggedy big sea, too old for fighting that stuff. Not as fit as I'd like to be and carrying a few niggly injuries that come with age. Not looking for much from this, just the occassional fun session in 2-4 feet non-sucky surf.
My surfing claim to fame is that I spoke to Kelly Slater once at the RSL in Avalon. Sydney.
I spent 4 months in Indo way back in 1994/95 spending a month at Lagundri (Nias) which is the only time I can say I've actually surfed a bit.
Hoping I don't just give up again, mrs thinks I will!
Would be interested to join up with others on a weekend meet in the Borders area.
Old Groover

PreviousNext

Return to General