Another whatever next...........................

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Another whatever next...........................

Postby Philshoz » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:05 am

Are we about to see a load of these at the beach?..........http://soloshot.com/

I do hope not. Then the inevitable 'my latest wave from an epic sesh' postings. :oops:

Mind you, it could be better than a lot of the Go-Pro footage we see. :oops: :oops: :oops:
http://philshorrock.blogspot.fr/
Philshoz

Re: Another whatever next...........................

Postby roberdy » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:44 am

drowned at high tide or robbed within seconds of you paddling out :)
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby danny1 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:56 am

yeh saw these on twitter a month ago i can see those with too much money using them

certainly will not get anywhere near the traction go pro got

you will see alot of the semi pro sponsered surfers ditching there mates who used to take the footage!
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:25 am

Are you kidding? This wouldn't last 5 minutes at my local beach. That and the fact as mentioned, it would get drowned at high tide if it were not placed high enough up the beach. I couldn't imagine anything worse than trying to surf and having the welfare of an expensive piece of equipment on my mind all the time. It says for securiy you can 'secure' it to a piece of driftwood or a lifeguard station and encourages you to 'be creative'! I can just imagine the call to my insurance company when I try and claim for an HD camera. "Sorry sir, did you say you left it unattended for four hours at a local beach on a bright orange pole?". Not to mention the jokers who will simply turn it to face the other way or change the camera settings. I don't like it, I don't think this is a business...I'm oot.
Jim Birtwisle

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:42 am

Plus, this is the answer for the FAQ of "is it going to get stolen?"

"SOLOSHOT comes with a built in security feature that allows you to lock your camera to SOLOSHOT with a traditional luggage lock. You can then lock the system to any nearby or convenient fixed objects like a pole or tree. However, like cars and bicycles, lock things at your own risk and use good judgment. SOLOSHOT also comes with a bright green LED that only shines in the direction it is pointing. So if you can see the green light, SOLOSHOT can still see you. Another option is to setup your SOLOSHOT in front of a lifeguard or by some nice people chilling on the beach who are willing to keep an eye on it for you. Finally, you were willing to ask people to stand on the beach and film you in the past... now you just need to ask them to relax on the beach while SOLOSHOT does the work!"

Not sure my girlfriend would be that thrilled if I spent hundreds of pounds on a camera stand then asked her to sit next to it in the sleat during a freezing January weekday morning at some scummy North Sea beach.
Jim Birtwisle

Postby Chris F » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:17 am

You still need to buy the camera, this is just a tracker. Unless you could stop and start it I'm not sure I would get any clips of me actually surfing beforee the batteries ran out.
Chris F

Postby rustysd » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:59 pm

I use it all the time - people are generally respectful and deterred by the lock I put on it.

It's been awesome being able to make real surf videos with my friends, here are a couple of samples:

http://youtu.be/u2w8A8qlGt4

http://youtu.be/BckAy_pgUxU

Everyone's first question to me is definitely "will it get stolen" - time will tell I guess - I like the idea of insuring it too - might do that. Regardless - the footage of my self with my friends has been priceless.
rustysd

Postby ATTMFKH » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:15 pm

^^ here's my 1st question .................Is this a spoof ? :lol: :lol: The WolfPack.....Killin' It :? :roll:

edit : sorry, maybe a bit harsh , been a long week
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby WP101 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:35 pm

i immediately dont like it with the blatant logo format ripoff of gopro
WP101

Postby Roy Stuart » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:27 pm

Besides, Joel Tudor says that people shouldn't be taking videos of their surfing, instead they should surf alone without recording it.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby Black » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:43 pm

Roy Stuart wrote:Besides, Joel Tudor says that people shouldn't be taking videos of their surfing, instead they should surf alone without recording it.

Isn't he a relation of Edward Tudor-Pole?
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby surfrat » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:47 pm

knowing the people round here they'll get covered with little bags full of fresh dog poo cos peple can't be bothered to take them to the bin......and that will fuck up the focus
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HunterSurf/133748279996238
surfrat

Return to General