Alternatives to waxing..

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Re: Alternatives to waxing..

Postby Black » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:26 am

^^^ Look up nitrile cork sheeting from gasket manufacturers. If you are uk based I could send you a sample.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby MrMik » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:56 am

Black wrote:^^^ Look up nitrile cork sheeting from gasket manufacturers. If you are uk based I could send you a sample.

Thanks for the hint, this leads to a whole host of cork-composite materials. I spoke with one distributor, he thought the cork-neoprene sheeting was too heavy and hung up.

I decided to try very thin cork sheets, because of the weight problem. And I think that a thin layer might even be more durable than a thick layer, because most of the cork particles will be in direct contact with the glue and might hang on to the board better.

The people selling this stuff https://www.thefeltstore.com/default.as ... 7F5198FF44 say that it would stick well to a fibreglass surfboard. Unfortunately, the shipping cost to Australia is too high (material around $60,- , shipping around $220.-).

So I'll try these cork sheets: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... AQ:AU:1123

They are 0.8mm thick and should not add much more weight than wax.

A solvent based contact adhesive will probably be the first one to be tested with it. This is mainly because it can be removed if necessary, by soaking it in more solvent based products....yuk. There are some water based contact adhesives available, but if I interpret their using instructions correctly, then they would need to be sanded off if removal is required.
MrMik

Postby MrMik » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:30 am

MrMik wrote:I decided to try very thin cork sheets, because of the weight problem. And I think that a thin layer might even be more durable than a thick layer, because most of the cork particles will be in direct contact with the glue and might hang on to the board better.

So I'll try these cork sheets: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... AQ:AU:1123

They are 0.8mm thick and should not add much more weight than wax.

I glued the 0.8mm cork to my longboard, using contact glue on both sides, and am very happy with the result so far. :-D :-D :-D

The grip is much better than that of wax and about as good as other deck-grip types, but unlike other deck-grip types, the cork seems very kind to the knees. No chafing at all so far.

I have not tried it without a rashy yet, but it sure feels like it will be the most comfortable surfboard surface I have ever used.

It remains to be seen how long it lasts in the surf.....
MrMik

Postby REO » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:22 am

After alls said and done.. Wax works the best, its cheap, smells good.. Gives you an excuse to linger in car parks watching chicks get changed while you rub it out ;-) .. Dont fix what aint broken in my opinion
Spent most of my life surfing...wasted the rest
REO

Postby Philshoz » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:49 am

REO wrote:Gives you an excuse to linger in car parks watching chicks get changed while you rub it out ;-)

That reminded me of a day last year. I was getting suited up when a French girl got out of her wetty just opposite me and proudly stood there topless for a few minutes drying off..............mmmmm don't you just love France? :bounce: :bounce:
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby surfrat » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:13 am

topless in february.....!!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HunterSurf/133748279996238
surfrat

Postby Philshoz » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:11 am

surfrat wrote:topless in february.....!!

Summer you fool...........you were too busy fantasizing to read the post correctly...... :wink:
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby kayu » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:19 pm

MrMik , you ever get around to putting the cork on the board?........got a mate doing full cork decks now , and the results are pretty good !... :shock:
currumbinwoodworks.com.au
kayu

Postby MrMik » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:05 pm

kayu wrote:MrMik , you ever get around to putting the cork on the board?........got a mate doing full cork decks now , and the results are pretty good !... :shock:

Yes, the cork is on and working well. It does cause a bit of rash on knees and lower ribs, but nowhere near as bad as standard deck-grip.

The grip is great. Only damage so far is where I seem to dig my toes in when occasionally knee-paddling. Easy to patch up if it gets worse.

I've bought more of the 0.8mm cork to glue it to other boards when I get around to it.
MrMik

Postby MrMik » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:11 am

kayu wrote:MrMik , you ever get around to putting the cork on the board?........got a mate doing full cork decks now , and the results are pretty good !... :shock:

Does your mate make them for sale or just for himself?
MrMik

Postby kayu » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:44 am

huei's silky compsand.jpg
huei's silky compsand.jpg (24.15 KiB) Viewed 163 times
MrMik wrote:

Does your mate make them for sale or just for himself?
MrMik , he is retired , but hasnt put the planer down since he picked it up in the 60.s.....(lol)....he has a long waiting list of people who want his boards , but his current mission seems to be educating the local grommets around Noosa , and putting them on equipment that improves both their surfing development , and their understanding of good surfboards...........he also builds complete surboards from shaping to final buff , including hand foiled fins , that put the production ones to shame !... :shock:
Attachments
DSC01555.jpg
DSC01555.jpg (114.06 KiB) Viewed 148 times
currumbinwoodworks.com.au
kayu

Previous

Return to General