foamies at fistral

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

foamies at fistral

Postby singlefin70 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:58 pm

what you think of the guys out at fistral lately on the foam boards,out in all sizes,saw em out in 5ft other day,funny as, doin coffin rides,few haters in the pack,even the longboarders aint getting a look in hahahah,most people do ride the wrong board 90% of the time at fistral,not exactly indo is it,i ride a twinny personally so at least i got half a chance at a few waves,good on em i say...
singlefin70

Re: foamies at fistral

Postby ATTMFKH » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:58 pm

biggest smile wins in my book 8)
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby mal-nourished » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:49 pm

i love seeing people having fun in the water regardless of what there on the haters if they dont like it should take up a different pastime simple.. :roll:
mal-nourished

Postby Vince Noir » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:50 pm

haters are just jealous cos someone is rippin on a foamie better than they can on a shortboard/longboard
Vince Noir

Postby nezu » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:39 pm

I'm newish to surfing and - until I pick up my minimal next week from Back to Top - have always been on a foamie. I must admit to enjoying it when someone comes out with all the gear then fails to catch a single wave and show themselves to be a lot rubbisher than me :lol: Love foamies, they're fun - don't have to worry about getting hurt (and I'm far too old to worry about being cool).
nezu

Postby henryg » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:56 pm

Some people i've seen just use foamies to catch as many waves as is humanly possible even though they'd probably ride a shortboard if it was only them out. There's no honour in being a selfish, snaking wave hog even if you are having the most fun.
STOP...... Hammertime
henryg

Postby Paul C » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:46 am

only thing I would complain about are SUPs & kayaks. :-x
Paul C

Postby singlefin70 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:37 am

spoke to the guys last night with the crosses on their boards at north fistral about why they surf the foamies,they were getting some big bomb sets,suprised they dont snap,they told me they been surfin over 20 years and been through the whole shortboard thing and just find it boring doing the same old snaps and lines,love findin new lines and ways of finding power in the waves,nothing to do with age,actually reckon its far harder to ride a foamie in big stuff cos the rails and fins are just not made to hold and its prob made them fitter cos of all the waves and the beating on the insides they get!the ginger guy gets away all winter and rides short singlefins and twinfins so gets his proper waves and the other guy goes through the whole winter ridin the winter swells just on the foamie still,friendly guys not wave hogs,smiles and hoots,not like all the moody frustrated shortboarders on a fat swell,im gonna stick to my twinny for now really enjoy it,spoke to an old guy years ago ripper and he reckons twinnys are the the boards for this country,gotta say i kinda agree,not gettin down on shortboards but how often is the swell really appropriate for those boards ??once or twice a summer?anyway just my two pence worth ,thanks to you guys opinions,were all entitled to em,cheers...devolution not evolution.......
singlefin70

Postby Black » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:02 am

^^^ You live on planet weird... Fistral surfable on a shortboard once or twice a summer???????? :?
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby singlefin70 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:08 pm

im deffo on a weird planet,how many cranking hollow surfs have there been this summer? of course you CAN ride a shortboard in ANYTHING,but im talking about days when a shortboard is the optimum piece of equiptment?not many my friend,too fat too slow ,over the wrong bank,the tides are all wrong,too high too low,i here them all day everyday,trying to fit a square block into a round hole,the quicker folks learn this the further they will get with theier surfing and quicker,out of a hundred surfers ,how many are on the wrong board??be it for them and their surfing ability?80?..personally im sorry for them,being pulled in by all the media,magazines videos asp,its all irrelevant,struggle on a shortboard for 5 years if you want ,but be rest assured that in two years or so on the correct board you will be at the same level,all the more waves for myself and my amigos who are fortunate to not be pulled in by what society has force fed us,do another off the top,borrrring another off the top,borrring,is it worth watching vids of air after air ?no style .style is king in surfing,fact,who you wanna watch currren or dino frappachino in the surf?any kid thats got an ounce of style in his surfing rules,hey each to their own and all are entitled to their opinion,and i wish everyone all the best,some will learn the correct path in life,most wont,in all aspects,sometimes it comes with age for some it just wont,too media bashed,but as im doing a gracefull bottom turn ,riding high lines and feeling the wave not fighting it with the most incredible feeling of well being in my heart,im the one laughing and smiling...not punching the wave.....rant over for now..hope you all get some waves,thankyou for your points of view
singlefin70

Postby Philshoz » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:58 pm

Good thread this.

I was out with a local French guy the other day, waist high, clean. Watching him from the beach doing fin-first switchfoot stuff I thought he was on a McCoy Nugget. Turned out to be a Decathlon foamie!! He was having a ball and got loads of waves.

Having a quiver can bring so much more to your surfing you wonder why spend heaps on a single board such as a Firewire, hoping it can do everything when you could get two or three secondhand boards for the same money, yes? Add some fins and a handplane and hey-ho away we go, tons of fun....... :)
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby mal-nourished » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:07 pm

nowt wrong with swellies especially in summer mush.....
Attachments
223957_10151043073552965_1217032045_n.jpg
223957_10151043073552965_1217032045_n.jpg (80.66 KiB) Viewed 213 times
mal-nourished

Postby skimmer2 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:35 pm

The instructors at c2C take them out in all sorts too:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
skimmer2

Return to General