Merino wool base layer.........?

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Merino wool base layer.........?

Postby Philshoz » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:09 am

Can't afford a nice new Patagonia wetty so was thinking about trying a merino wool base layer under a 3/2. Finisterre do one.

Anyone doing this? Can you get by with a thinner suit into winter?

I thank you............ :-)
http://philshorrock.blogspot.fr/
Philshoz

Re: Merino wool base layer.........?

Postby russneversleeps » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:18 am

I've just bought a slightly too small merino v-neck from oxfam with the same idea....

Will report back in November
russneversleeps

Postby Leven » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:27 am

No, doesn't work. The merino in a Patagonia is in a grid, which traps air, which is what keeps you warm. Your jumper will just get wet, and keep you cold!
Leven

Postby majordom » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:30 pm

agreed - a good fitting wetsuit which stops water getting in is best - else the water flows around
then out and you get cold - a merino jumper may make the suit fit better giving less space for water
to flow around but ultimately all it will do is hold more water next to your skin which you have
to warm up and then warm again when flushed with new cold water

a good wetsuit will still be pretty dry inside
majordom

Postby Philshoz » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:38 pm

Cheers guys. Kinda what I expected really.

I am trying to get through a Breton winter in a suit thinner than my 5/3 (may appear in for sale soon).

Do I splash out on a PatagoniaR3 or get a Rip Curl 4/3 Bomb, both to be supplemented with my much lauded Quiky heated vest, toasty.......... :-D
Philshoz

Postby ATTMFKH » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:41 pm

if it's any use to you Phil - I got a 4/3 eBomb Pro that does me through to Dec - zero flush, silky neoprene - do like the look of the Patagonias right enough .........
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby skimmer2 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:04 am

Jings - when it gets serious winter I'm in a 6mm hoodie no question or I get cold.
skimmer2

Postby Leven » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:28 am

My hooded Patagonia R3 does me right through a Cornish winter, even coming back from hotter countries at the end of Feb, I still didn't have gloves on (bit of gayer with the cold). BUT...there is a trade off! I've also got a 3/2 Ripcurl Flash Bomb, which is waaaaayyy more flexible (but obviously a summer suit).

Personally, I think the Patagonia's are great suits (R3 and R4), but you need to be aware they're not as flexible as a main stream brand. Also, I find they can get quite heavy when wet too....
Leven

Postby Vince Noir » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:30 am

Leven wrote:No, doesn't work. The merino in a Patagonia is in a grid, which traps air, which is what keeps you warm. Your jumper will just get wet, and keep you cold!

but the heat retaining properties of merino wool are inherent in the fibres themselves, not the pattern they are sewn into
Vince Noir

Postby Leven » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:35 am

Vince Noir wrote:
Leven wrote:No, doesn't work. The merino in a Patagonia is in a grid, which traps air, which is what keeps you warm. Your jumper will just get wet, and keep you cold!

but the heat retaining properties of merino wool are inherent in the fibres themselves, not the pattern they are sewn into

Ok, try it, see how you get on!
Leven

Postby well-chilled-out » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:16 pm

Just strap two sheep either side of your body.Cheaper than a Patagonia & keeps you warm/dry & you have something to talk to in the lineup...Works for me..Happy days..I'd recommend Scottish Highland though as they don't mind the water compared to other breeds..Just a tip.
well-chilled-out

Postby kayu » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:15 am

....is 3mm titanium-lined available in UK ?............like the Radiators.
currumbinwoodworks.com.au
kayu

Postby Chris F » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:58 am

You could get a hooded polypro rash vest?
Chris F

Postby SurfOnYourBum » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:12 pm

Keep your eyes out for Merino and Polypro base layer thermals in Lidel and Audi as they are dirt cheap and pretty decent thermals. As long as you get some good fitting ones that don't stick out further than your neck, wrist and ankle seals (otherwise you will constantly wick cold water in) then they should help quite a bit. As it gets colder I often surf in my summer 1mm neo top but I put a well fitting thermal top underneath Polypro if it is not too cold and Merino if it is is really chilly and it keeps me lovely and warm.
Sit Down and Shred!
SurfOnYourBum

Postby surfinsmiler » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:00 pm

Vince Noir wrote:

Not aimed at you specifically Vince but I seem to remember Howies recommending you DON'T use their MERINO mid layers under a wetsuit cos they bunch under the arms and elbows causing rubs.
Started out in life with nothing and I've still got most of it left!
surfinsmiler

Postby Poo Stance » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:24 pm

Vince Noir wrote:

Not 100% sure that's true. Surely the weave pattern has a lot to say about how much air is trapped by the fibres. Which is essentially the insulating property. Thicker/tighter weave should = more warmth.

The winner about wool is that it insulates when wet. Which I think is why it's so good as a base layer. Then you need the next layer to wick away that moisture.

Would defo look to use a sleeveless one though as getting the wettie arms on without rolling the base arms as well must be impossible.

I use a sleeveless poly-pro+hood for extra warmth sometimes.

Re: Radiator tops - seems to me the merino lines ones have replaced the thermal ones with metal inner lining which supposedly radiated heat back to the body.

Ditto Aldi/Lidl gear. The weave/weight prob isn't as good as top brands but the price is way better. Got me 2 pairs of snowboard pants for £££s cheaper than the ripabong stuff that are sweet for aprez surf to get you warmed up quick again.
Poo Stance

Postby Obelix » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:54 pm

The way wool insulates is that it absorbs water into the cores of its individual fibres, and the water within those fibres is then heated by the body. That's also why it takes longer than other materials to dry. Certain ways of arranging the fibres will, I'm sure, add to the fabric's thermal properties, but this is just as an added extra to it's main mechanism, which is via the fibres themselves.

As a result, a tight-fitting wool baselayer is a useful addition to a winter suit if you're willing to put up with the extra weight. Polypro is also good, but to a lesser extent. Best is just to man up 8)
Obelix

Postby spongebobbrownpants » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:05 pm

Finisterre merino base layers are great but don't think they would add much under a wetty. I've worn mine now and then when I've forgotten my rashy and not noticed a significant difference. To be honest, as long as you have a good winter wetsuit you don't need to the extra warmth unless your a northern monkey but then you'll be used to the cold anyway, it's always the post surf change that chills you so practice the speed change :-D
spongebobbrownpants

Postby Philshoz » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:47 am

Obelix wrote: Best is just to man up 8)

When you get to our age you need something extra to warm our thinning blood.................. :-(
Philshoz

Return to General