Parking at South Fistral.

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Parking at South Fistral.

Postby Paul C » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:01 pm

WTF is happening at South Fistral? Someone said to me earlier when I was in Newquay, ''Are they charging for parking yet? I heard they are going to.'' and when I got back to my car there this morning I noticed new signs up saying ''P midnight -9am'' although there were cars there at 11.30. Does anybody know what is happening? I thought there was only going to be a restriction on campers at night?
Paul C

Re: Parking at South Fistral.

Postby singlefin70 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:49 pm

Because of the draconian council here and the people that have been parking and living down s.fistral since march,loads of the vans wont even start mate,average of 15 vans not moving at all has been the last straw i believe,im all for folk being able to park there for a few nights when theres surf and move on ,clear up ya mess and move along,but as always its a few that mess it up for the rest of us.with regards to the ridiculous new little signs of a car and midnight till 9am is supposed to be coming into force in the next week or two,it is supposed to mean that only cars can park there at night between those hours,no vans,now how they plan to regulate this is only a guess,if i want a surf before work ,ill get a ticket because i have a van,if you want to walk your dog as you have for the past 20 years and have a van you will get a ticket,people are saying its down to the enforcement offficers if they believe you are sleeping in the van or not ,how the hell they are gonna prove that i dont know?and how they can discriminate between a van and a car i dont see how?i pay my road tax and dont see how i cant park for a surf and a car can,its going to cause alot of trouble im sure,good old cornwall council,forward thinking as always,only reason they are not pay and display i imagine is because of the hotels needing the extra parking,time will tell.
singlefin70

Postby Paul C » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:26 pm

I have a car myself so from what you are saying Singlefin70, I am not affected. I saw the small signs on the lamposts as I drove out and I don't think they are very explanitory. A sign that says ''P midnight-9am'' means parking for anyone only between those hours.
I have a car but I have no objection to vans, only those large campers the size of a rock stars tour bus that hog all the spaces and stay there for months on end making it hard for us locals/regulars to find a space.
Like you said how can they tell if someone is sleeping in a van? curtains drawn across and if someone knocks them up they are awake when they open the door.
I hope the time doesn't come when there will be double yellow lines all the way down on both sides, if they do that I will have to give up surfing and find another activity which I don't want to do. Not all of us locals can afford to live in Newquay and just pick up a board and walk down.
Paul C

Postby roberdy » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:39 pm

Sounds like the English immigrants and blow ins are ruining it for the locals in Kernow as they have been for many, many years. It used to be retirees coming down and pushing the house prices up, then it was families moving down after selling their vastly price inflated houses in the SE, now it is finally reaching the tipping point in the water and around it too and Cornwall moves another step closer to being ruined by incompetent and money grabbing councils and self interested, disrespectful blow ins.

Carry on.
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Philshoz » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:04 am

Why on God's earth would you want to park up indefinately with your van at Fistral?
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby philo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:09 pm

Philshoz wrote:Why on God's earth would you want to park up indefinately with your van at Fistral?

They mean people who park up with vans and just camp in them. Staying there for a few weeks, months?
philo

Postby petegee56 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:59 pm

My brother lives in pentire heights in pentire and new signs have gone up in his road which will ban parking in his street between may and September if they put the lines down.so lots of double yellows in surrounding streets and parking meters to follow I reckon :evil:
petegee56

Postby Philshoz » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:26 pm

philo wrote:
Philshoz wrote:Why on God's earth would you want to park up indefinately with your van at Fistral?

They mean people who park up with vans and just camp in them. Staying there for a few weeks, months?

Isn't that what I meant?........... :?
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby Paul C » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:47 pm

The new signs have a picture of a car on them and say ''P midnight-9am'' doesn't make much sense if cars are supposed to be OK and not vans?
Looks as if the council are being sly. :?
Paul C

Postby buzyg » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:35 pm

The best surf at Fistral, is from Oct to March, same as the rest of Cornwall. I've never had any trouble parking up there. What's wrong with people staying over a few night's? We have a proper little gipsy camp, on the cliff above Whitsands these days and the're no bother to any one. I guess during the summer it get's busier. Though I tend not to surf that much during the summer.
buzyg

Postby Paul C » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:13 pm

I thought about it and I think what the signs mean is, with a car logo on it and saying ''P midnight - 9am'' probably means only cars between Midnight to 9am but it's not very explanitory.
This just may be the start though and what will it lead to in the future? Double yellows right down through on both sides? or Pay & Display?
Paul C

Return to General