carve mag

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Re: carve mag

Postby Ferral » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:40 pm

These days I don't really rate any surf mags apart from the Surfers Journal (which i havent read in ages either). Surfers path has gone down hill i'n my opinion. When I was younger i used to like Carve, Wavelength and also another Brit mag I think just called 'Surf', but I've lost interest in them, the content is just always so similar. When surf europe first came out it was hilarious but i havent read one in several years.

To be honest I think mass market print media surf journalism is going to die out soon. Surf mags used to have contest reviews, but there's no need for that when you've got webcasts. Likewise, coverage of specific swell events is on line within hours of the first lines greeting the coast. Given the huge amounts of great photos and videos available online gallery sections are a bit irrelevant, this is hugely advanced by the numbers of people with digital cameras able to take decent surf shots. Unless the writing is really special I can't see the point in them. I've not read the Kook newspaper yet but I think that will be more interesting.
Ferral

Postby WP101 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:12 pm

yep,^^ pretty much the same.
im too old for carve i think... got my TSP's on a shelf, i can see how they just got thinner and thinner over time, through no fault of their own, almost felt like i should support them by paying subs, but i reckon theyve all had their day unfortunately, maybe a kindle type thing might help?

pretty much use http://www.korduroy.tv or msw/surfline for magazine type hits these days
Last edited by WP101 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WP101

Postby Werwulf1919 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:06 am

Carve is ok if you are from Cornwall...Surfers Path was the best one but has been terrible lately...actually the new look Wavelength is probably the best one at the moment.
http://mohawkeastcoastsurf.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/edmohawk1919
Werwulf1919

Postby bunker » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:06 am

kook newspaper
bunker

Postby WP101 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:13 am

bunker wrote:kook newspaper

i subscribed to stranger mag years ago then they dissapeared of the face of the earth, never got one copy
WP101

Postby surfphoto » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:22 pm

Magazines are here to stay.
Sure there are less than there were but the surf industry on all fronts was bloated and now the excess is being trimmed away.
Magazines are still the best place to see amazing surf photos.
Sure there's some great stuff online but no pro blazes his or her best stuff on the net for free until months after potential mag sales have ceased.
And words. When was the last time you read anything more than a few hundred words online?
Magazines are about giving the stories and photos the space they deserve and you the time to enjoy it, the long form, it's a different beast to a 30 second hit on a website.
If you haven't read a surf mag in years why not pick one up.
Read it. From cover to cover.
You might be pleasantly surprised...
www.surfphoto.co
surfphoto

Postby danny1 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:44 pm

Utter bollocks

Trotting out the same old shite year after year

I still give them a scan in wh smith and I buy the odd one when I am flying and almost always think they are rubbish

The only good stuff they do is covering decent trips in the uk and aboard

They are dead and dying

The internet Democratise everything- the consumer decides
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby Leven » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:07 pm

danny1 wrote:Utter bollocks

Trotting out the same old shite year after year

I still give them a scan in wh smith and I buy the odd one when I am flying and almost always think they are rubbish

The only good stuff they do is covering decent trips in the uk and aboard

They are dead and dying

The internet Democratise everything- the consumer decides

Agreed. They seem to be aimed at 15 year old boys, not the average surfer in the UK.

That said, I did read a couple of issues of SurfGirl the other day (don't flail me too much!), and it was surprisingly good! Far more than the average "make up, bikinis" etc I was expecting (although that was there). Nutrition tips and recipes, music reviews and interviews, as well as the surfing part. It also seemed somewhat detached from the Comp scene, and more aimed at "average" surfers (albeit girls). The second issue I read I actually bought....and that was the first surf mag I've bought to read for about 4 or 5 years.
Leven

Postby creature » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:32 am

you cant make a stack of online content to leave by the toilet tho
creature

Postby surfphoto » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:13 am

Magazines change. Editors change.
If you've not read the mags in 4 or 5 years then you are not in the loop.
Entirely different editors and editorial styles at Carve and Length now, big changes at both in the last couple of years.
The mags aren't aimed at 15 year old boys. More like 15 to 35. The average British surfer.
They aren't full of 'contest' stuff as you rightly say it's pointless with the webcasts.
But if you don't read them and haven't for years then that's fine.
Some people love surf mags, I'm one of them, if you don't then there's not much conversation to be had.
www.surfphoto.co
surfphoto

Postby Jonzi » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:30 am

Surfphoto aka Sharpy might be a little biased, what with him being an editor of a magazine.
Jonzi

Postby Black » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:33 am

creature wrote:you cant make a stack of online content to leave by the toilet tho

Tablet! :wink:
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby WP101 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:31 am

creature wrote:you cant make a stack of online content to leave by the toilet tho

hydration?
WP101

Postby Matt Rose » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:47 am

Not gonna name any mags but WP101 and Danny are right. Same old stuff, I subscribe to one but I doubt Ill renew. If youve gots kids that have to visit Hollister, just borrow their copy of TSJ :wink:
Matt Rose

Postby danny1 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:06 pm

Sharply you are in denial and are part of the problem.Your tone is dismissive . Which tells its own tale. Proper self refelection would be good. 7 men wank on a boat was your literary highlight.

I read em in wh smith when I need a break. I'd like to know what proportion of mags get pulped.

What proportion you tell advertisers Are actually read

And what proportion of your revenue is made up of ads.

Cos I think there's a scam going on
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby bunker » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:32 pm

i subscribed to stranger mag years ago then they dissapeared of the face of the earth, never got one copy

What does that have to do with kook?
bunker

Postby aninternalaffair » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:48 pm

Carve and Wavelength are good mags and for the avoidance of doubt, I have no affiliation with them other than a subscription and the occasional photo submission. If you want to see advertising bloat, try taking a look at some of the US, Oz and SA offerings. Many are more akin to a product directory than an editorial publication.

My one and only issue with the UK mags is that they tend to follow a very pre-set group of surfers. Joe-public rarely gets a decent mention, even if he or she rips. Don't get me wrong, I love watching the pro's rip and reading about their travels but my personal opinion is that it doesn't always make a for a diverse read.

There's no point in laying into Sharpy either. He needs to earn a living just like the rest of us and he wouldn't make a very good editor if he didn't portray himself as an ambassador for his industry.

The choice is simple, buy mags, or read on line (or neither). However you want your fix, nobody is forcing you. The mags have their benefits (there's no substitute for paper) and sites like MSW also have there's - videos, forums etc.
aninternalaffair

Postby WP101 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:34 pm

bunker wrote:

What does that have to do with kook?

not much, just saying i dont want to subscribe to anything new if its not gonna be around long enough for me to get my moneys worth
WP101

Postby Philshoz » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:59 pm

http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby zboy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:33 pm

I cant c the point of them any of them a tree gave is life for them,pointless death. :-)
zboy

Postby Chris F » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:49 am

If I was a tree I would rathern die for a Carve magazine than Hello, OK, The Daily Mail, etc etc.
Chris F

Postby bakers » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:10 pm

Im a fan of Carve, theres not many places in my area which sell it though, have to wait until I venture down to the gower.
Call me old fashioned (at 25) but im still quite into actualy owning material rather than just downloading it, that goes for CDs, DVDs, books and magazines.
bakers

Postby droog79 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:24 am

havent read all comments abovebut...... still love to flick thru a mag rather than look and read online ( i just cant read anything online -its like i go into a different attention span mode) - but wouldnt pay 4+ quid for one, just have a good look in the newsagents. Agree that TSP has gone downhill- seems pretty much the same as the mainstream ones to me now. (but maybe thats because the mainstreams have also gone a bit more open minded/enviro-conscious, at least on the surface or while this kind of thing is still ON TREND!)

KOOK#3 if definitely worth a punt if youre after something different.... http://www.danielcrockett.co.uk/kook3/

and at the absolute opposite end of the scale to say SURFER or PitPilot is Kurungabaa from NZ. Not to everyones taste but no ads, just thought provoking stories, poetry and articles, a bit of art and photog-v.v. different from owt else out there. Try Look!
(their website is worth a browse too, interesting links and videos) http://kurungabaa.net/
LIKE MY FACEBOOK PAGE- I do! http://www.facebook.com/droog79
SPORADIC BLOG: http://www.droog79.blogspot.com/
droog79

Postby paullismore » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:58 pm

I subscribe to Carve, Wavelenght and Surf Europe on the ipad.
I found a new love for surf mags with the tablet editions...Photos are crystal clear and never get raggy...

TBH..I find surf europe the best read but Wavelenght is really good fun aswell!
paullismore

Postby Poo Stance » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:31 am

Chucking this in here for relevancy.

http://www.theinertia.com/business-medi ... the-world/

...Back in the day, advertising managers used to tiptoe into the offices of editors with sweaty palms and pounding hearts to nervously pass on some request for editorial coverage from one of their clients. The outraged editor would swear and curse and bang their fists on the desk, banishing the ad man from the editorial offices and sending them scurrying back to their desk, suitably chastened. These days, it seems, the ad departments run the magazines, and the editorial teams have the almost incidental task of filling a few pages of content in between the advertisements...
Poo Stance

Postby The Decorator » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:02 am

Dragging this one up. Posted a comment on Carves facebook book page... well I'll leave it for you to decide whether the response is appropriate.

http://www.facebook.com/carvemag/posts/ ... hare_reply
www.mugofsunshine.blogspot.com
The Decorator

Postby The Decorator » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:11 am

I should add this isn't the first time I've had issues with them. http://mugofsunshine.blogspot.com.au/20 ... iller.html Followed up by http://mugofsunshine.blogspot.com.au/20 ... cynic.html
www.mugofsunshine.blogspot.com
The Decorator

Postby Black » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:25 pm

The Decorator wrote:Dragging this one up. Posted a comment on Carves facebook book page... well I'll leave it for you to decide whether the response is appropriate.

http://www.facebook.com/carvemag/posts/ ... hare_reply

So, you bark on about naming a spot and then link to it on a popular forum. :shock:
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby makkattack » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:07 pm

No, not the most professional approach. You knob :lol:
makkattack

Postby Vince Noir » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:27 pm

they have a responsibility to reply to people politely...you wouldnt see a newspaper openly reply to someone and call them a knob

makes me want to buy carve even less if this is the attitude they have ( for the record i have never bought carve anyway)
Vince Noir

Next

Return to General