xcel new winter wettie

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

xcel new winter wettie

Postby Jamez » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:50 pm

ive worn xcels for years now and love the suits but the cost of the latest model is out of control

http://store.magicseaweed.com/Xcel-Mens ... tem/19704/

i pushed the boat out previously and bought the old drylock at £330 but this seams to now be taking the pi s s and i aint short of a few bob!!!

thus next winter suit aint gunno be an xcel...back to oneil or might try a quicksilver? :?

Do xcel know there is a global recession on!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Jamez

Re: xcel new winter wettie

Postby danny1 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:55 pm

Mate I know

But

They are the best suits by a mile

I've just been sorting out my winter suits and decided I need a new one

Xcel blow rest out of water
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby youngstu » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:36 pm

I don't post here often, normally just a lurker but have you tried snugg suits.

I don't surf as much as I'd like to (work and kids) but they do last really welll and as far as I'm concerned they're pretty damn comfy and warm.
I first went with them because my chicken legs used to chaff in suits that had legs that were too big and I don't think I'd ever change now.

I've just got a new summer suit after having my old one for 8 years and I've had my winter suit for 5 years and I've just sent it back to snugg to retape some of the seams where the tape has come a bit loose but the suit itself is still as good as when I got it.

I've been tempted by xcel but couldn't bring myself to spend the money without it being a custom made suit.

Stu
youngstu

Postby WP101 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:49 pm

wetsuit thread number ? gotta be 3 figs by now :p

West!
....as endorsed by Jim Morrison
WP101

Postby Goat » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:29 pm

Just been lucky enough to find the xcel 5/4/3 hooded powerseam suit for £300 on www.transsurf.co.uk, plus a further £15 cashback from going through a cashback website. £430 asking price was ridiculous, but felt like £300 was just about acceptable. No idea why, but I am a shivering wreck in the sea in a West 5/4/3 lotus Air o, thermal rashy, 7mm boots, 3mm gloves, in south wales!! Guess i just really feel the cold, so felt justifiable in going for a top of the range xcel.

Will give a report on the dear 'powerseams' after using it a few times.

FYI - kingofwatersports also have a sale on - 15% off everything.
Goat

Postby WP101 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:05 pm

theyre always cropping up on ebay or here, i just got an infinti 543 front zip, worn a couple of times in A1 nick for £90, i can safely say, i will never pay stoopid money for a suit, never have never will :D
WP101

Postby finlay » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:38 pm

Wetsuits.

They cost the best part of £500, partly because of the hassle involved in cutting so many panels and then reassembling them in a watertight manner
You've got to replace them every year or two, and the fact they begin to leak until the point they no longer keep you warm is taken as a given.
They use increasingly soft, easy to damage neoprene, less hardwearing every year.

Next years suits won't be any better either, but they will be more expensive. We're stagnating. We need a new company to reinvent the wheel and take a totally different approach.
finlay

Postby ATTMFKH » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:46 pm

fucking ridiculous prices
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Black » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:57 pm

You're all wimps, just tie a knotted hankie round your nads and your ready to surf, that's the british way !
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Archy_is_God » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:47 pm

Picked up a Body Glove Vapor for £160 the other day.

Hands down: the warmest suit I have owned in almost thirty years of surfing. Really impressed with the build quality as well.

Try one!
Archy_is_God

Postby surfrat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:06 pm

I have a 3/2 Vapor. worn only once but it was mega toasty. cheap too. they did a 4/3 called a CT that was good as well, as good as anything and only was £150 chest zip.

£330 for a suit? maybe for a custom made Snugg but just buy two cheaper ones and you can surf twice a day then

oh and paddle more... :roll:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HunterSurf/133748279996238
surfrat

Postby roberdy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:50 pm

Archy_is_God wrote:Picked up a Body Glove Vapor for £160 the other day.

Hands down: the warmest suit I have owned in almost thirty years of surfing. Really impressed with the build quality as well.

Try one!

Good enough for the north sea in February you think?
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby surfrat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:35 pm

save all that money on superthick wetsuits and you could afford to live in Woolacombe or Porth something in Cornwall.....if you can find a house that isnt a holiday home!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HunterSurf/133748279996238
surfrat

Postby ATTMFKH » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:16 pm

Try one!

Said Tomo the sponno'd Body Glove surfer :lol: :lol:
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby 1972vw » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:25 pm

I accept a suit will only do a season or two before its stops keeping you toasty, but 400 quid plus for power seams is taking the piss! Its an old feature dressed up as something new.

Been using xcel infinity suits for past 8yrs or so. I am certain they dont make em like they used to. Got a very old infinity 5/4/3 that has full liquid (rubberized coating over the seam, a bit like those on old oneil psycho 2 suits) seams on the inside. They are still in perfect nick.

My last new winter suit, a hooded 6/5/4 has nothing left of the blue taped seams and has worn out all over the place far quicker than any other xcel I have owned. Can never dry the fooking thing either.

Took the plunge and bought a used Patagonia R4 from the U.S. It IS as good as all the hype. Had a 4hr session a rivermouth the over day. sub zero air temps, snow in the hills and still warm! Its light, comfortable and drys quicker than my xcel suits too.
1972vw

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:54 am

roberdy wrote:

Try one!

Good enough for the north sea in February you think?

Yes, reckon the 5/4 would see most people right through winter anywhere in the UK
Archy_is_God

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:57 am

ATTMFKH wrote:

Try one!

Said Tomo the sponno'd Body Glove surfer :lol: :lol:

That would be very welcome :lol:

Even though prices are going up each year, it's still nice to know you can find a decent last-season suit for under 200 quid with a bit of digging/calling around.
Archy_is_God

Postby Philshoz » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:24 am

[quote="Archy_is_God"
Even though prices are going up each year, it's still nice to know you can find a decent last-season suit for under 200 quid with a bit of digging/calling around.[/quote]

True Archy, makes me think why buy the latest suit at all.......... :idea:

I got an O'neill RG8 4/3 from 'King O' the sporting kind' last years style........£144, shipped to me....... 8) :o :-D

Seek and ye shall find.

Happy New Year weeders............... :D
http://philshorrock.blogspot.fr/
Philshoz

Postby Goat » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:22 pm

1972vw wrote:I accept a suit will only do a season or two before its stops keeping you toasty, but 400 quid plus for power seams is taking the piss! Its an old feature dressed up as something new.

Been using xcel infinity suits for past 8yrs or so. I am certain they dont make em like they used to. Got a very old infinity 5/4/3 that has full liquid (rubberized coating over the seam, a bit like those on old oneil psycho 2 suits) seams on the inside. They are still in perfect nick.

My last new winter suit, a hooded 6/5/4 has nothing left of the blue taped seams and has worn out all over the place far quicker than any other xcel I have owned. Can never dry the fooking thing either.

Took the plunge and bought a used Patagonia R4 from the U.S. It IS as good as all the hype. Had a 4hr session a rivermouth the over day. sub zero air temps, snow in the hills and still warm! Its light, comfortable and drys quicker than my xcel suits too.

I was so close to getting a Patagonia R4, which i presumed would last a few years...but at £500, with the sale price £300 Xcel, i decided in the end to plump for the latter. But youre right, I expect it will end up costing more in the long run with replacement suits!
Goat

Postby swiggy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:37 pm

I picked up a 6mm hooded xcel for $310 a few days ago. About 180 quid..
swiggy

Postby dixie » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:37 pm

im selling a 2013 xcell infinity x zip
used twice bought for xmas
xl
no pee
£150

had some blob wwork done to inside of external flappy overhead thing
all good now
dixie

Return to General