Earplugs

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Re: Earplugs

Postby SurfOnYourBum » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:48 pm

ATTMFKH wrote:
baj wrote:sorkys come highly reccomended so I bought some, tried them in the pool and one kept falling out, seems I have one earhole bigger than the other! gutted.. anyone want a pair of 'used once' and thoroughly washed sorkys??

think I might end up with customs but £65 is a lot of cash! what's the deal with the NHS ones? do I need to be referred by my doc??

:lol: :lol: :lol: try it mate - on Buttholesurfers(?) recommendation (worked for him), I went to my GP about an ear infection & suggested that to prevent further damage through surfing in cold water, the NHS should provide me with custom fit earplugs - I got a 5 minute tirade from the doc about priorities, illness, budgets etc etc :oops: :oops: made me feel like a right c*nt

Give the ENT department of your local hospital, they would much rather you got good ear plugs earlier (which they charge you about £35 for to cover the cost of materials and manufacture) to prevent expensive operations later. If you live in a surfing area they will generally throw ear plugs at you as soon as you mention you surf regularly and I can not recommend the plugs enough, they are a lot dryer that docs pro plugs.
Sit Down and Shred!
SurfOnYourBum

Postby skimmer2 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:50 am

ATTMFKH wrote:
baj wrote:sorkys come highly reccomended so I bought some, tried them in the pool and one kept falling out, seems I have one earhole bigger than the other! gutted.. anyone want a pair of 'used once' and thoroughly washed sorkys??

think I might end up with customs but £65 is a lot of cash! what's the deal with the NHS ones? do I need to be referred by my doc??

:lol: :lol: :lol: try it mate - on Buttholesurfers(?) recommendation (worked for him), I went to my GP about an ear infection & suggested that to prevent further damage through surfing in cold water, the NHS should provide me with custom fit earplugs - I got a 5 minute tirade from the doc about priorities, illness, budgets etc etc :oops: :oops: made me feel like a right c*nt

Still got an ear infection after a month (but minor one) and seen the doc three times! At least I know I don't have onset of surfers ear but talk about mixed messages. Explained the surfers ear thing to which I got a look as if to say "FFS I am doctor I know everything about surfers ear" then told me I have no onset of it and then said "salt water is good for the ears but no idea why you want to put plugs and things in your ear - that's what causes infections." I gavce up then and just asked for a swab to be taken and antibiotics. Getting some sort of micro suction stuff at ENT to get the shit out of my ear so that drops work.

I like Pro-Plugs but in winter White Tack.
skimmer2

Postby ATTMFKH » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:52 am

Pro Plugs - shite

Sorky's - Shite

Back to blu tac
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby baj » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:50 am

i'm inclined to agree, i got an ear infection in morocco in feb, f***ed if i was going to miss a surf so spent an hour or so pouring boiled (hot but not boiling!!) water in my ear, leaving for 5-10mins, empty, repeat.... took some cocodamol, stuck some blutac in my ear (found a clean bit in my bag!) and straight back in for a codeine induced spacey surf!

not tried white-tac, might use that until I get to the ENT for the lecture on being a leaching c**t :lol:
baj

Postby smelly skater » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:57 am

I dont get why you wouldnt spend the money on some custom made plugs !! I have had one set for five years !! You cant put a price on your health :? Just saying :-D
smelly skater

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:04 am

I go through about one pack of blutac each year!

5 years = about 5 quid!

Just saying! :lol: :wink:
Archy_is_God

Postby smelly skater » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:19 am

Its better than not having anything in your ears i suppose but in my experiance its no where near as good as a custom plug and you are pushing stuff into your ear canal too which cant be good :wink: :-) just saying i have nothing to do with surfplugs by the way !! and i dont have a logo on my car :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: you working tomorrow mate ?? Meeting a photog in morning at croyde or coambes :-D
smelly skater

Postby Kenny » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:42 pm

I was put on the waiting list for the drill and, at the same time, the consultant arranged for me to have some custom plugs made (the technician said they pay 20 quid for them). They work really, well preventing water entry but also sound. For this reason I now only wear them swimming as if they fell out I should be able to locate them.

Now, when surfing I wear these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120469359833. They have a valve for hearing and they´re so cheap it is worth buying several pairs. Much better than Blu tac in my opinion unless banter in the lineup isn´t your thing.
Kenny

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:53 pm

smelly skater wrote:Its better than not having anything in your ears i suppose but in my experiance its no where near as good as a custom plug and you are pushing stuff into your ear canal too which cant be good :wink: :-) just saying i have nothing to do with surfplugs by the way !! and i dont have a logo on my car :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: you working tomorrow mate ?? Meeting a photog in morning at croyde or coambes :-D

Not working til half ten... :-D
Archy_is_God

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:55 pm

Kenny wrote: Much better than Blu tac in my opinion unless banter in the lineup isn´t your thing.

I'm deaf anyway, so probably wouldn't benefit! :lol:
Archy_is_God

Postby baj » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:47 pm

Kenny wrote:Now, when surfing I wear these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120469359833. They have a valve for hearing and they´re so cheap it is worth buying several pairs. Much better than Blu tac in my opinion unless banter in the lineup isn´t your thing.

arrived today, couldn't get in for a surf so tried them in the pool, seemed to do the job nicely, thanks for the heads up 8)
baj

Previous

Return to General