BEWARE..no dawnies at south fistral!!

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

BEWARE..no dawnies at south fistral!!

Postby singlefin70 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:04 am

yep,the council in there infinate wisdom have decided to start ticketing vans at south fistral before 9am,and that includes car derived vans,if you are in acar you can park and surf anytime,but those of us with vans are screwed before work,my friend was at south yesterday in a car derived van open window type and the warden said because he has the back seats down for his tools its a van,so he had to put one seat up and its a car! wtf..they are ticketing EVERY van so just a heads up...dog walkers ,surfers fisherman,people trying to enjoy their time in the mornings,they will get you......or give up your business and get a car.....
singlefin70

Re: BEWARE..no dawnies at south fistral!!

Postby Philshoz » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:11 am

This is a job for.............................well-chilled-out.................. :protest: :protest: :protest:
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby Paul C » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:23 am

Vans at the moment, what's the next step? eventually double yellow lines down both sides for everyone at any time. :-x
That will be bad for business in the surf industry for a start!
Paul C

Postby Philchapman » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:59 am

Parking Meters. (The next step). There's probably someone in an office right now doing a cost benefit analysis of income from fines VS income from parking meters. Bastards!
Philchapman

Postby Paul C » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:20 am

also a couple of months ago they moved the white lines on the boxes closer to the kerb making it narrower so what about 4x4s? they are not vans but may be too wide to fit between the line and the kerb?
Paul C

Postby c-lad fantastic » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:20 am

If you are in a van, can you pay and park?
c-lad fantastic

Postby Black » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:08 pm

c-lad fantastic wrote:If you are in a van, can you pay and park?

Yes, at the beach car park or little fistral. You can still park for free at south.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby roberdy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:54 pm

sounds like a T4 tax!!! they should target the lowered ones with alloys, especially if they don't have Cornish plates :lol: :lol:
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby singlefin70 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:06 pm

ALL vans,you cannot pay to park either,blanket ban on vans only,good old newquay chase tourist money away
singlefin70

Postby Black » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:24 pm

singlefin70 wrote:ALL vans,you cannot pay to park either,blanket ban on vans only,good old newquay chase tourist money away

Oh sorry, didn't know that. But you can still park for free at south fistral in a van - currently!
Black

Postby surfphoto » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:43 pm

This was announced months back but the council said it was a ban only for camper vans between midnight and 9a.m. Normal vans, as in those without beds, fridges etc, would be fine?
Bloody idiots. What if you live there and have a works van and your flat hasn't got parking?
www.surfphoto.co
surfphoto

Postby Underdog » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:14 pm

Cornwall Council is run by lying power mad robbing Cunts.....end of.
Roll on 16th October when, hopefully, a leat one of the fuckers will have been ousted.

I noticed that the lay by at the top of the hill at Watergate now has double Yellow lines and a couple of cars had been ticketed last weekend.
I wonder how many other Lay Bys in the country sport yellow lines? It's a lay by FFS!!

I can only assume that those with an interest in nearby pay car parks have friends on the council.
Godrevy; Just like surfing. but smaller (and without the power)
Underdog

Postby surfphoto » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:04 am

One of the councillors that pushed through the Pentire ban lives at Pentire... Very definition of a Nimby.
www.surfphoto.co
surfphoto

Postby Black » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:12 pm

surfphoto wrote:One of the councillors that pushed through the Pentire ban lives at Pentire... Very definition of a Nimby.

They should declare an interest and take no part in the process. Possible objection there to overturn any decision.
Black

Postby Philchapman » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:03 pm

Just wondering.... Is there any actual Law that is being broken if you park in a Van, or are they just trying it on? Wondering what would happen if you contested any fines. They'd have a hard time proving you were there all night if you turned up at say 7am, had a place to live nearby, etc. Any ideas? Also, what's with the A.N.P.R. cameras at North Fistral? :shock:
Philchapman

Postby Black » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:28 pm

Wonderful Wife researched the following: Road traffic regulation act 1984 allows a local authority to restrict a vehicle according to any criteria they like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link: http://www.dft.gov.uk/publications/tma-part-6-commercial-vehicles/

This law is draconian & unjust, something that needs curing! Maybe block the road in protest?

Also they can charge what they like for parking too!!! Lord preserve us.
Black

Postby Roy Stuart » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:36 am

Once there's a law against everything then it all depends upon how the jackboot feels... i.e there's no law at all.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby jago25_98 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:28 pm

Thanks for the tip off, I could have got caught out by this.

What's the exact signage now?

I guess there was a change to address the problems of the previous rules?
No camping, selling or overnight sleeping is rubbish wording if you think about it since all of those things are very wide ranging and move well out of the realm of parking and into what you can and can't do. Stick to the subject of parking. Don't fine people for dosing off after a long drive across the country. If there's litter then address the problem rather than all vans.

I think if we want to limit people hogging the spots we could just have a 12 hour limit, no 6 hour return with no discrimination on what vehicles are allowed - keep it simple.

Can somebody tell me what the problem people have is with vans or campervans? Are they seen as dirty, dropping litter everywhere? Do they park for too long amounts of time in one place?
This is important because I'm sick of these hassles so I'm looking at swapping to an estate. But there might not be much point of the hassle continues - if actually restrictions are not based on anything rational and it's a case of nimbys and British territoriality. If we all just switch to cars the problem might then move onto something else like no roofracks, no estate cars or whatever it is people have moved on to.
I think the territoriality only kicks in if people feel there's some sort of claim on the land and that seems to be defined by the ability to sleep somewhere or the ability to earn money somewhere.
http://www.moneybutnofixedabode.blogspot.com
jago25_98

Postby surfrat » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:42 pm

all this sort of thing was part of reason i ditched my camper now i live in the SW.
there's fuck all places you can overnight at without hassle. there's a few on devon/cornwall border but thats just a day trip for me now so no point stopping over.
i'm back on the sneaky tent behind a hedge and an early start these days.
or, given the amount i bother, i'll jump in a hostel or a cheap b&b

when i lived in wales the van freedom was brilliant and rubbish rarely a problem cos people were responsible.

a modern council would recognise the rise van/motorhome ownership and plan some aires that would be reasonably priced and walking distance to surf and amenities but still cheaper than a campsite. they'd be full every weekend and attract people to spend in local businesses
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HunterSurf/133748279996238
surfrat

Postby danny1 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:33 am

yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby Paul C » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:50 pm

I see the toilets are locked there as well now. Do the council think only emmits need to piss & shit? :-x
Paul C

Postby Philchapman » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:43 am

/\ Well, you've got to see the bigger picture. How else are the Council going to afford to give the Councillors the £4k a year expense allowance rise they want to award themselves, if they don't close down essential services like toilets? :roll:
Speaking of pissing and shitting, I heard that this was one of the reasons for banning "Vans". People camped up were pissing and shitting around the area, probably because the toilets were closed overnight. So, instead of targetting the right people, another stupid "blanket" rule is brought in due to a few idiots taking the piss. (and shit).
Philchapman

Postby Paul C » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:14 am

That's nothing compared to the dog walkers who let their dogs shit anywhere and dont clear it up. About 5% pick up while the others pretend they don't see their dog shitting by looking another direction at the time.
All the way up Esplanade road on the grass verge you have to look before you put your board down. :-x
Paul C

Postby Black » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:52 pm

Paul C wrote:All the way up Esplanade road on the grass verge you have to look before you put your board down. :-x

Yes I always do that (check the ground that is). Walking back to the car in the dark along the verge is a lottery too, just waiting for a squelch.

Anyway the leader of CornCoun has been ditched for being useless!
Black

Postby Paul C » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:29 am

If the toilets were still open it would get rid of that unpleasant piss smell at the top of the steps that go down to the beach! :-x
Paul C

Postby sandytim » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:13 pm

Parked up for two nights last weekend 20th/21st Oct and had no problems (other than getting out the back on Sunday :-D ).
I think the signage has been done incorrectly.
The new signs show a P in a blue box (meaning parking) followed by the silhouette of a van (meaning van) followed by 12am til 9am (meaning between midnight and 9am).
Put them all together and what have you got ......Parking for vans between 12am and 9am

I ment to take a picture but it does seems to me someone made a big cock up.
Or am I missing something ?

Anyway just don't park outside the Bay hotel because its being referbished and they start at 7.30 mon to fri :shock:
sandytim

Postby Philshoz » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:54 am

It shows a lack of immagination I think.

Over here we have 'aire de camping' sites. They are cheap and geared up for a short stay as there are no facilities other than a poo disposal tank and water point. Ideal for those huge campers the French love so much.

We have stayed on a few in our T4 over the years. We do get funny looks from the all singing/dancing brigade but what the heck, we are snug........ :-D

If a few UK councils adopted this idea they could make a buck.
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby Paul C » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:09 pm

I see the miserable council also have the gate locked outside the already locked toilets now, probably to stop anyone going around the back and pissing in the drain.
In the spring when they open the toilets again they will be putting out the welcome mat for the emmitts! :-x
Paul C

Postby J L » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:43 pm

roberdy wrote:sounds like a T4 tax!!! lol:

what a fucking good idea, NDDC would be minted even more so if it applied to T5's also, the cnuts are everywhere

:lol:
J L

Return to General