New website layout

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

New website layout

Postby skimmer2 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:20 pm

AM I missing something? Is that it? All I can see is that they've made it less obvious where to go for the forum?
skimmer2

Re: New website layout

Postby Black » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:41 pm

Looks quite a bit cleaner in appearance and thankfully the forum is kept away from innocent bystanders. :-)
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby rodent » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:53 pm

Anyone know how one views Scotish or say Irish photos in the photos section, can only view em by break
FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Postby roberdy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:12 pm

rodent wrote:Anyone know how one views Scotish or say Irish photos in the photos section, can only view em by break

Go into one of the sections, like latest and greatest and you will get a set of filters to pick regions, breaks photographer etc.

Have a hunt about and you will find everything you need, it's a little challenge for everyone who has not had access to the beta version for the last month or two :)
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby skimmer2 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:38 pm

I like simple - big "Community" tab right at the start.
skimmer2

Postby Eck » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:02 pm

I might be being a retard but...

How do you search for photos by region (scotland)? The search parameters seem to go straight from 'UK+Ireland' to 'Surf spot'.

Is there a way to change the units of the forecast 'graph' from 'knee/waist/shoulder' back to 'ft'?
Eck

Postby rodent » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:15 pm

roberdy wrote:
rodent wrote:Anyone know how one views Scotish or say Irish photos in the photos section, can only view em by break

Go into one of the sections, like latest and greatest and you will get a set of filters to pick regions, breaks photographer etc.

Have a hunt about and you will find everything you need, it's a little challenge for everyone who has not had access to the beta version for the last month or two :)

The region for Ireland/scotland/Wales etc, is kinda greyed out and unselectable
FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Postby bakers » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:22 pm

took me a while to find the community section,
bakers

Postby skimmer2 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:27 pm

bakers wrote:took me a while to find the community section,

I nearly PM'd Roberdy via Facebook to ask if they had dumped the forum :lol: :lol:

I honestly canny see what the big diff is - maybe clearer homepage but tbh I only use a certain number of features.
skimmer2

Postby roberdy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:37 pm

rodent wrote:The region for Ireland/scotland/Wales etc, is kinda greyed out and unselectable

not quite sure what you are looking at there Rodent, there isn't a specific region for ireland/scotland/wales, just UK/Ireland in the regions section under Europe and then by spot from there.

if you just pick up UK/Ireland and then hit go it'll bring everything for the region sorted by your selection options, ascending, most rated, most viewed etc.

were you able to search by Wales/Ireland/Scotland before?
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby REO » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 pm

it doesnt seem to run very well on my phone.. glitches alot.
Spent most of my life surfing...wasted the rest
REO

Postby Eck » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:08 pm

roberdy wrote:
rodent wrote:The region for Ireland/scotland/Wales etc, is kinda greyed out and unselectable

not quite sure what you are looking at there Rodent, there isn't a specific region for ireland/scotland/wales, just UK/Ireland in the regions section under Europe and then by spot from there.

if you just pick up UK/Ireland and then hit go it'll bring everything for the region sorted by your selection options, ascending, most rated, most viewed etc.

Aye you were
Eck

Postby Black » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:00 pm

There were problems with the location menus before, they changed according to which bit of the site you were at. There are still menu oddities - you can get to spots not in the main listings by a secret route!
Black

Postby rodent » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:40 pm

roberdy wrote:

Click on this link for easkey right

http://magicseaweed.com/photoLab/viewPh ... c04147f55e

The filters allow you to select UK & Ireland and Easkey Right but won't allow you select the black Ireland section in the middle, you used to be able to select Ireland from a list of regions before
FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Postby roberdy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:51 am

rodent wrote:Click on this link for easkey right

http://magicseaweed.com/photoLab/viewPh ... c04147f55e

The filters allow you to select UK & Ireland and Easkey Right but won't allow you select the black Ireland section in the middle, you used to be able to select Ireland from a list of regions before

Ah, I see what you mean, that word "Ireland" hasn't been hyperlinked to anything, it maybe the macro that searches for Ireland has been dropped or not replaced yet. I'll drop a line to the guys and see what they are saying about it. Might be worth looking at the facebook beta site to see if it was raised as a "feature" during testing, I'll see if I can find that link....
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby bakers » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:06 am

Having a bit of trouble using the charts on my phone (samsung galaxy s2) . when i click the drop down menu it brings up england but the menu wont scroll down to wales. try to scroll down and the entire page scrolls down.
bakers

Postby pod » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:18 am

REO wrote:it doesnt seem to run very well on my phone.. glitches alot.

Yeah. Runs crap on my android. Like each section of the page has to reload as I scroll up and down.
pod

Postby gavtheoldskater » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:34 am

i must be thick, i can't find the forum or community link. only way i can access is via and old pm notification link.
a world of waves and a world of ways to ride them!
gavtheoldskater

Postby skimmer2 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:38 am

gavtheoldskater wrote:i must be thick, i can't find the forum or community link. only way i can access is via and old pm notification link.

Look down the more menu......bonkers...it is the most used thing and hidden away.

Apart from that - I'm getting to like it. Like the chart maps being able to scrol along...been using them a wee while now.
skimmer2

Postby ATTMFKH » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:36 am

skimmer2 wrote:
gavtheoldskater wrote:i must be thick, i can't find the forum or community link. only way i can access is via and old pm notification link.

Look down the more menu......bonkers...it is the most used thing and hidden away.

Apart from that - I'm getting to like it. Like the chart maps being able to scrol along...been using them a wee while now.

That's by design mate , the longer you hang about not going striaght to the forum , the more likely something will catch your eye that may lead to a sale .....kerrching
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby roberdy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:48 am

bakers wrote:Having a bit of trouble using the charts on my phone (samsung galaxy s2) . when i click the drop down menu it brings up england but the menu wont scroll down to wales. try to scroll down and the entire page scrolls down.

Get the MSW app, it's free and works better than the website, well, on IOS it does anyway!
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby WP101 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:28 pm

ATTMFKH wrote:
skimmer2 wrote:

That's by design mate , the longer you hang about not going striaght to the forum , the more likely something will catch your eye that may lead to a sale .....kerrching

yeah, that little box on the left with the dropdowns for (bloody pricey!) wetsuits etc is the first thing i noticed :roll: ..ive got adblock on so im missing a bit from the screen also.
WP101

Postby ben » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:09 pm

Literally rolling in a pile of money generated from people accidentally buying things they didn't want :shock:

Yeah. Runs crap on my android. Like each section of the page has to reload as I scroll up and down.

It's a little bit chicken and egg for us on this one - we needed to move to the new software to allow us to build proper mobile pages, but the non-mobile version will be a little slower for some people in the meantime. A full mobile version of the site to support the apps is in the works.

As proud members of the glorious Union we disabled this in the cause of greater integration. Joke. I'll honestly say I didn't even realise this was possible before and missed it on the spec. for the rebuild - certainly something that we can reintroduce with an update. Hopefully pretty much every other aspect of the new photo system is a little slicker - it was well overdue an update.

Thanks very much for the feedback. For bugs and issues please do consider dropping a line here:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/468659956479572/

It's really tricky trying to get all the feedback in one place but that seems to be where we can most easily manage things.

Cheers,

Ben
magicseaweed.com
ben
Site Admin

Postby roberdy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:15 pm

Ben et al, I'll sticky this thread and direct bug reports and feedback to the facebook page, I had forgotten the link actually!
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Black » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:58 pm

Why can you access spots from the maps that aren't on the dropdown spots list. I can see they may be sensitive but then why have them accessible at all?

Edit: These spots are all listed below the regional map too.

Also on the map there's a "change region" button that just takes you to a search page.
Black

Postby swiggy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:41 pm

Yeah, there are basically a bunch of secret spots that were put up. We all complained (including me, one of the spots was a place that I used to surf a lot and nobody ever went to, not really a secret just off the radar a bit), and they removed them from the list. But they didn't delete the pages, you could still get to them from the map. Complained again and nothing happened, nobody seemed to turn up due to the MSW listing so just forgot about it and moved on.

I think they are in stormrider. But it was totally unnecessary to have spots a mile apart listed, the forecast was obviously the same :roll: Even if they weren't secrets/semi-secrets it just clutters the list.
swiggy

Postby ATTMFKH » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:26 pm

^^ did the same on some west coast spots that didn't really need anymore coverage - they were taken off the main forecasting dropdown but still appear as 'Nearby Spots' in the main spot forecast - as Swiggy says they are all in Stormrider but some are trip savers that don't need the publicity.

'Literally rolling in a pile of money generated from people accidentally buying things they didn't want' .............. execution of a slick web sales & marketing strategy :wink:
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby danny1 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:19 am

found you guys again...that took a little while
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby WP101 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:21 am

kinda get the feeling that the community is a necessary evil :?
WP101

Postby smelly skater » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:32 pm

Need a ipad app !!!! New site doesnt work great on ipad
smelly skater

Next

Return to General