FCS Fins or Future Fins?

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

FCS Fins or Future Fins?

Postby KyleEvans » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:49 pm

I know that most shapers use the FCS fitting, but why? Future actually have a lot more tech to offer than FCS, in my opinion (only an opinion) the only thing better FCS claim to do is that they say that the fins are more forgiving to your board if you were to hit a reef or rock etc. (not something you plan on doing anyway) A lot of the time I find myself having to file down the tabs on my FCS fins to slot them into my board properly? Where with future fins I've never heard of a problem like that before? Future fins also fit much nicer into your board and a lot more flush when comparing to FCS, and yet they are still preferred? Can anyone tell me why?
KyleEvans

Re: FCS Fins or Future Fins?

Postby Rickyroughneck » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:54 pm

Maybe Futures are still under patent? - The main reason FCS is so big is that the patent run out so it is a free market, loads of companies make fins for FCS, so correspondingly shapers use the sockets.
Rickyroughneck

Postby jonnyboyz » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:05 pm

FCS are more popular with boardmakers, so have saturated the market, hence why they tend to use them as they are what everyone wants.
jonnyboyz

Postby KyleEvans » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:22 pm

WOW! That's the first reasonable answer I've seen on any forum. I've been on a few sites to find a answer and finally I have one. Thanks!
KyleEvans

Postby ilovebacon » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:08 am

KyleEvans wrote:Future fins also fit much nicer into your board and a lot more flush when comparing to FCS, and yet they are still preferred? Can anyone tell me why?

i think it depends where about's in the world you go, some places fcs are simply more accessible and others futures are more accessable due too distribution methods making them more readily available for the local market making them the go to/dominating fin system in that area. i found in Hawaii Futures are a lot easier too get hold of and fcs were a little harder but still not impossible, but then i've found its completely the other way around in South Africa where fcs are very easy too come across and futures are a little harder.
your right about Futures having a nice/better fit but there are advantages and disadvantages to both systems. As for which system is better that a whole different story..
Last edited by ilovebacon on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/BOS-Surfboards/173770169375916

Blog: http://bos-surfboards.posterous.com
ilovebacon

Postby Vince Noir » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:46 pm

use loc box
Vince Noir

Postby Archy_is_God » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:16 pm

Kyle, there is a specific design forum here on MSW.

If you're interested in 'how' and 'why' when it comes to surfboard design, it may be worth posting these types of questions over there. You can also use the 'advanced search' facility to see if someone has asked a similar thing previously.

For what it's worth, as fin systems go then Lokbox or Futures are my choice... They just feel better IMO. FCS entered the market at a point when any previous systems had fallen by the wayside and most boards had glass-on fins. I guess they found a niche at the right time and business grew.

I also agree with you Re: knockouts... Can't remember the last time I knocked a fin out, although I'm probably due for one :lol:
Archy_is_God

Postby swiggy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:40 am

FCS suck, but 4 out of my 5 boards have them because I never had a choice (I pretty much only buy secondhand boards..). I've broken them out bottom turning before in bigger waves (and in deep water, not hitting the bottom). Futures are just a better design, I've never had a board with lokbox but it looks like a good design too. Concentrating the load from the fins onto 2 small round plugs rather than a larger box is retarded from a strength and stiffness point of view..
swiggy

Postby waxer00 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:36 am

yes i agree. if you think about it design wise,fcs are basically 2 leash plugs per fin.it`s more or less `fag packet` tech gone viral!
waxer00

Postby Poo Stance » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:20 pm

I've been trying to get hold of future fins for a while now. The surf shop keeps telling me to come back next week...

...sorry, I think your wearing my coat. :-|
Poo Stance

Postby SurfOnYourBum » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:33 pm

In goatboating boats are all pretty much Longbox or future. A couple of companies a while ago did make some surf boats with FCS fins but due to the fact we drag our fins through the sand somewhat when launching and landing these proved pretty unpopular pretty quickly as nobody likes having to replace fins after every couple of surfs. The only fin system I can think of that is comparable for it's fragility would be 4WFS but at least that does have some other advantages and reasoning behind it's design.
Sit Down and Shred!
SurfOnYourBum

Postby Black » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:19 pm

Don't forget fcs fusion improved things somewhat.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby sjb1983 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:27 pm

Black wrote:Don't forget fcs fusion improved things somewhat.

Was just looking at a board online which has FCS fusion plugs. Have been trying to buy boards with Futures over the last few years, never had FCS fusion plugs.

Do they actually make a noticeable difference? Try and avoid FCS like the plague normally!...
sjb1983

Postby JayP » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:25 am

Vince Noir wrote:use loc box

Locbox also! Way more adjustable.
JayP

Postby Ferral » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:37 am

I'm actually not that fussed on lokbox any more I find the little tabs bend and also the rubber o-ring corrodes. I have to say my go-to board is glass on so I only use lokbox in step-up / twinnies and probably don't treat them that well. Once they are in tehy are rock solid though.

I've been inpressed looking at future fins though - in fact I was thinking I might get them in the next normal board I have made too.
Ferral

Postby Black » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:38 pm

FCS have another type box out now so its all change again (can't remember the details) but thats what happens on a thread dredge.....
Black

Postby Philshoz » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:09 pm

:lol: :lol:

I thought Kyle was back…. :shock:
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby roberdy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:11 am

Now moved to the design forum :)

I've been using lockbox for the last couple of years, one board by Royal, another by AB3, I really liek them but have sold the AB3 board before I came to Oz as I needed to thin the quiver. Actually wish I hadn't sold it but there you go, you live and learn. On the other side, I'd like another set of fins for the Royal Dynamo I have but can you get lockbox in Oz, can you feck :(

Futures everywhere, FCS everywhere, few dealers selling boards with the new FCS design too but I am also hearing stroies from local repairers about them getting the new design in for repairs already and that the plugs are blown or the little bar that holds the fin in place just doesn't last. However, that being said and at the end of the day, this is a new design, it is bound to have some failures in the early years and it has got a hell of a lot to do with how good the shaper is that fits the fins, hell, it might not even be the shaper that fits the fins in some places!

I guess if you buy a mass produced factory board that has a rep for less than top notch glassing you might as well be suspect about the installation of a new-to-the-market fin plug design too.

That's my 2 cents worthy anyway :)
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Black » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:03 am

Black

Postby Greenstick » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:42 pm

I can't understand why people use fcs. Even Moonlight glassing cannot seem to get them to fit flush to the deck and that includes the new boxes, check the Gerr model on surfy surfy to see that gap at the rear of the base of the fin. With Lokbox, there must be some unwanted drag there as there is with a standard box for a single. I need all the help I can get so stick with Futures. The install is harder (I find) on the Futures and perhaps that is a reason why FCS were more popular. If Futures could have a tab to the edge of the rout that might help setting them, but probably make levelling off harder, a mate and I were chatting that one through last might as the air bubbles started to appear around some boxes I had badly set a mm or so too deep..... user, not product, error.
Greenstick

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design