Really dizzy after an hour's surfing - surfer's ear?

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Really dizzy after an hour's surfing - surfer's ear?

Postby Philx123 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:51 pm

New to surfing, only been out once, on Sunday. Really enjoyed it, even though out on my friend's shortboard (just getting used to the feel of the water, practicing paddling, sitting etc). I was in the water about an hour, spending most of my time watching for waves and then missing them. I did catch a couple, though, one of them throwing me right up to the shoreline. The board was way too short for me, though, and I didn't even bother trying for the stand. The water got really shallow really quickly (so I was told), and I didn't want to end up with an arm or leg sticking out the wrong side of my body. So anyway, the board came to a stop and I got up, or tried to, but found myself wallowing around like a drunkard. It was like I'd been spun round and round and someone had let me go. Really. I had to kneel down and steady myself. It was unreal. I could get up after a minute or so, but I was still really unsteady.

I'm assuming that's not normal.

I'm older - 48, and my balance has got steadily worse as I've got older, but also, I'm a cyclist, have been for years, and, after reading around the subject a bit, came across surfer's ear. I see it's related to the cold, and I was wondering whether all those years cycling in the cold could have caused it, and then being in the water exacerbated it.

Or maybe it was all that time lying on the board watching for waves (I couldn't really sit on it, as never done it before, and being such a short board...)

I'm seeing the doctor tomorrow, so will talk it over, but, anyone had anything similar, and if so, was it surfer's ear?

Thanks
Philx123

Re: Really dizzy after an hour's surfing - surfer's ear?

Postby Laurie_4surfing » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:49 pm

It happened to me earlier this year on a bigger day.
It is not surfer's ear as that takes years and years to get and you pretty much go deaf. Then surgery to drill you a new lug hole!
If its what happened to me; a bit of disorientation and minor concussion (what happen's to boxers). I got it after a bad wipeout. Came into shore afterwards and had to drop to my knees, started vomitting too! Could be down to a bit of dehydration.
Not had any medical problems since and deffo not put me off :)
Hope this helps
Laurie_4surfing

Postby ATTMFKH » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:40 pm

sea sickness ............................. next 8)
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Black » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:19 pm

If not sea sickness then could be perforated eardrum?
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Philx123 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:55 pm

ATTMFKH wrote:sea sickness ............................. next 8)

Never get seasick.
Philx123

Postby Philx123 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:57 pm

Laurie_4surfing wrote:It happened to me earlier this year on a bigger day.
It is not surfer's ear as that takes years and years to get and you pretty much go deaf. Then surgery to drill you a new lug hole!
If its what happened to me; a bit of disorientation and minor concussion (what happen's to boxers). I got it after a bad wipeout. Came into shore afterwards and had to drop to my knees, started vomitting too! Could be down to a bit of dehydration.
Not had any medical problems since and deffo not put me off :)
Hope this helps

Thanks for taking the time. Yes, it does help. Could well have been dehydrated, as had been drinking the night before. The ride in threw me around a bit, also.

Thanks again.
Philx123

Postby Philshoz » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:37 am

Your wetsuit neck was too tight..........don't bother with surfing, stick to cycling. Surfing takes years and years to get right, it's just not worth the hassle.
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby Stan » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:08 am

Are you blonde ?
Stan

Postby Philx123 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:19 am

Philshoz wrote:Your wetsuit neck was too tight..........don't bother with surfing, stick to cycling. Surfing takes years and years to get right, it's just not worth the hassle.

I've been cycling for forty years or so, and I think I've just about perfected it. Now all I need to do is take the stabalisers off.
Philx123

Postby Philx123 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:27 am

Stan wrote:Are you blonde ?

Only in my dreams. And I'm twins. You should see me play volleyball.
Philx123

Postby Philchapman » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:22 am

Not Surfers Ear. Could be 'Surfers Brain' though. Unfortunately there's no known cure.
Philchapman

Postby Philx123 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:56 am

Philchapman wrote:Not Surfers Ear. Could be 'Surfers Brain' though. Unfortunately there's no known cure.

I used to have mountain-biker's brain, till I left it on the branch of a tree. I found riding was easier without it, though. Actually, life in general.
Philx123

Postby Philchapman » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:11 pm

/\ Damn right. The only way to enter "the zone".
Back to your dizz-biz..... did you breathe while you were in the sea? Lack of breathing could be the cause of the problem.
What did the Doc say?
Philchapman

Postby Philx123 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:13 pm

Doc said not over much. "As you get older your balance goes," etc. Seemed generally unconcerned. Though did mention some condition where you can get crystals forming in the inner ear. Will maybe go out surfing (well, the very rough approximation of it that I do) this weekend. Will try ear plugs, just in case it's the cold affecting my balance, and will make sure I'm hydrated.
Thanks for the input.
Philx123

Postby briggfoot » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:27 pm

Alright Phil,
I've had this once where I just went mega-dizzy and spun-out, and didn't know what caused it.
I just paddled back in to the shore, had a breather for 5-10 minutes, got some deep breaths and oxygen back in my lungs, then went back out and felt fine there-after, and ever since. :-)

Hopefully it's nothing mate.
briggfoot

Postby Chris F » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:40 am

Yours was due to a tight wetsuit restricting bloodflow to your head :lol:

I've felt a bit dizzy after getting washing machined a few times in the past. It could be good old fashioned motioned sickness.
Chris F

Postby Philx123 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:14 am

Thanks for that, guys. Much appreciated. If you see someone reeling around on the shoreline in Cornwall at the weekend, it'll probably be me. If you hear them shouting "feck" and they're throwing rocks at the seagulls, then it will still probably be me, I will have just been to the pub instead.
Philx123

Postby Lkrhtr70 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:47 am

Sea legs-if on a boat, surfing (generally in the drink for a long period), after not being out in awhile one gets the feeling on land like he is still in the water. The brain thinks you're still out there. I get this after a long day out-I know-redundant.
Lkrhtr70

Postby surfrat » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:02 pm

water could have gotten stuck in your inner ear easily...perhaps you've had ear problems in past?
I've got mild surfers ear and my ears drain water back out very badly so i wear ear plugs all the time. once had a dizzy spell like i was drunk cos water had got stuck in the inner ear
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HunterSurf/133748279996238
surfrat

Postby oneftonshore » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:46 pm

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypochondriasis

Only joking, probably got washed about a bit and felt a bit dizzy. Combination of hard exercise and inability to breath due to being under water.

Cycling is probably much better for you.
oneftonshore

Return to General