Bournemouth

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Bournemouth

Postby Bluepork » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:45 am

I used to surf in Bournemouth about 4-5 years ago. Have taken a break and I am now coming back to it. I have a suspicion that in the intervening period msw have changed their model so that what used to be 2-3 star surf is now 1-2 stars. Can anyone local confirm this? The other explanation is that there's quality of the surf in Bournemouth (which, let's face it, is never that great) has gone down, which I find hard to believe.

I live in London, and I used to only make the trip if the surf was at least 2 solid stars. Even that seems rare these days!

:?:
Bluepork

Re: Bournemouth

Postby Matt Rose » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:01 pm

Why dont you work out how the charts work and no try to rely on the reports? They often get it wrong anyway.
Matt Rose

Postby Bluepork » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:36 am

Actually, I do study the charts a lot, but I use the reports as well, generally cross referencing the two.

As I don't live near the sea, its difficult to assess whether my own interpretation of the charts is accurate, without another source of data. The webcams help with this, but the more help I can get, the better!
Bluepork

Postby Poo Stance » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:19 pm

Hi, sorry Blue don't have an answer for your question. Just came here to pimp myself out.

Surfer dude for rent, works the london area, looking for new customers. Services include sharing fuel, wax and changing bucket; hooting into waves; in-car DJing; in-car Sandwich making. Supplys own straps. 8)
Poo Stance

Postby Matt Rose » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:23 pm

Try this http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=86390 for cross reference and hook up with poo. Never surfed Bournemouth but Id imagine a northerly wind might help?
Matt Rose

Postby Poo Stance » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:42 pm

And add these websites to your arsenal too.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/maps/United_Kingdom.shtml
http://xcweather.co.uk/

Wake up early, check buoys and wind, drive to beach, surf, drive home, check buoys and wind. Repeat many times. Get spots wired. Never post what you've learned on internet. :-D
Poo Stance

Postby rodent » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:49 pm

And google maps, handy for working out the offshore areas to aim for
FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Postby surfmonkey2011 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:32 pm

Poo Stance/Bluepork, are either of you legit surfers looking to share lifts from London to the coast when there's waves? I've moved to the city this year and am seriously surf starved for lack of people to share fuel with to go surfing...

I try to get down to Shoreham hot pipes/harbour wall quite a bit, my job's pretty flexible for hours and I often have use of a massive pickup truck so can happily share the driving down...

I agree by the way, south coast surf reports may have gotten more realistic/pessimistic than before, always take it with a pinch of salt on the south coast, or so I've learned down here.
surfmonkey2011

Postby Poo Stance » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:20 pm

Kin oath Monkey, I can duck dive and everything.

Hit me up if you're feeling like going for a surf somewhere. I haven't surfed Brighton for years but if it's on I'm happy to get down there. Not too keen on sharing fuel on a massive pickup tho, probably be cheaper to go on my own in my trusty diesel estate.
Poo Stance

Postby surfmonkey2011 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:08 am

Cool, yeah it depends as its a company vehicle can get away with some fuel already paid for and it fits boards in, my own car is a forester estate with roof racks so loads of space for boards and gear, even used it as a camper quite a few times for early starts. Keep an eye on Friday/Saturday this weekend looks like a massive dirty windswell's blowing in.
surfmonkey2011

Postby Vince Noir » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:34 am

doesnt look like it will be any good at the weekend...then again it never is
Vince Noir

Postby Poo Stance » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:42 pm

Saturday west coast's look alright gents. Anyone wanna do a day trip?
Poo Stance

Postby gavincoop-msw » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:32 pm

I have a suspicion that in the intervening period msw have changed their model so that what used to be 2-3 star surf is now 1-2 stars.

We've not changed the model and no changes have been made to the rating algorithm that would cause this. We've only made improvements on how the data is laid out and displayed.

I wouldn't cross reference with WindGuru, they are running a low resolution, un-partitioned model, which isn't very useful for surfers. Our forecast will not look like theirs, because theirs isn't built specifically for surfers. You can read about some of the issues here http://surfforecasting.magicseaweed.com/?p=1903 and more on comparing our forecast with the wave buoys here http://surfforecasting.magicseaweed.com/?p=1880

The buoys found at
http://magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-Wave-Buoys/1/
are the same buoys listed on NOAA, with some minor improvements, like ours are prettier and we plot the forecast against the buoy height and period (you can read about the differences between the forecast and the buoys using the link above).

We have the same wind stations as XC weather
http://magicseaweed.com/METARStationHome.php?region=1
Both buoys and live winds are accessible from the live drop down in the main black navigation menu. On the iOS app and the Android app.
gavincoop-msw

Postby pitmonkey » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:46 pm

check out the webcams on sorted.com and compare with the charts on the day, you'll soon get to know how the reports/forecasts measure up. The 2 webcams cover boscombe and bournemouth. If the swells looking half decent at either, about 20 miles further west you may find a decent ride nudge nudge wink wink say no more!
...time is timeless...
pitmonkey

Postby Vince Noir » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:02 am

pitmonkey wrote:check out the webcams on sorted.com and compare with the charts on the day, you'll soon get to know how the reports/forecasts measure up. The 2 webcams cover boscombe and bournemouth. If the swells looking half decent at either, about 20 miles further west you may find a decent ride nudge nudge wink wink say no more!

winds are fickle as fuck though
Vince Noir

Postby surfmonkey2011 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:15 pm

Anyone in the London area fancy a trip down east witterings tomorrow? Should be a small groundswell giving a clean wave tomorrow, aiming to hit the afternoon pushing tide and swell, leaving from Streatham/Tulse Hill area. Message me or reply to let me know if anyone is keen or is already going and has a space going...need to lift share down/surfing buddy, new years resolution is to get wet more!
surfmonkey2011

Postby surfmonkey2011 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:15 pm

Anyone in the London area fancy a trip down east witterings tomorrow? Should be a small groundswell giving a clean wave tomorrow, aiming to hit the afternoon pushing tide and swell, leaving from Streatham/Tulse Hill area. Message me or reply to let me know if anyone is keen or is already going and has a space going...need to lift share down/surfing buddy, new years resolution is to get wet more!
surfmonkey2011

Return to General