Cold-water surfers unite!

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Cold-water surfers unite!

Postby Kris Farmen » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:56 pm

Hello to one and all: I'm Kris Farmen, a novelist, historian and journalist in Alaska. I'm also a surfer, and I've launched a Kickstarter campaign to raise travel funds for a book about surfing in Alaska called Out in the Cold. I've posted the link below, and I'd appreciate it if you'd take a look and consider a contribution. Cheers!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/44161259/out-in-the-cold-dispatches-from-an-alaskan-surf-sa
Kris Farmen

Re: Cold-water surfers unite!

Postby Leven » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:17 am

So you want me to pay for you to go on holiday? If you want to do a trip like that, save up the cash like the rest of us have to!
Leven

Postby Vince Noir » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:51 am

my thoughts exactly leven

do one pal
Vince Noir

Postby Windsor » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:19 pm

Fair play to him. Good luck.
Windsor

Postby Chris F » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:20 pm

I'm out.

I'm starting a campaign called "dyslexic surfers untie"
Chris F

Postby Poo Stance » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:43 pm

Good luck with that fella. Not that I'm gonna contribute (well money at least), but have you got any other work we can read from ye?

In the meantime, I had a poke around Alasca on GE and found a few spots...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?vps=1& ... 8c9acf57ec

I know it's not cool to post spots online but I figure in this case the locals may like a few more heads to share waves with. If anyone wants me to take that down I'm easy.
Poo Stance

Postby Philshoz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:44 pm

'Out in the cold?'

You certainly are amigo.........
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby Leven » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:56 pm

Kris Farmen wrote:Hello to one and all: I'm Kris Farmen, a novelist, historian and journalist in Alaska. I'm also a surfer, and I've launched a Kickstarter campaign to raise travel funds for a book about surfing in Alaska called Out in the Cold. I've posted the link below, and I'd appreciate it if you'd take a look and consider a contribution. Cheers!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/44161259/out-in-the-cold-dispatches-from-an-alaskan-surf-sa

You might say you're getting a frosty reception....sorry, couldn't resist!
Leven

Postby Chris F » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:01 pm

:lol:

Definitely getting the cold shoulder.
Chris F

Postby ATTMFKH » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:32 pm

EDITORIAL LICENCE 8)

I’m Kris Farmen, a novelist, historian, and freelance journalist based in Alaska. I’m also an avid surfer—yes, there are surfers here—and I intend to spend the summer of 2013 on an extended surfing trip across Alaska’s coastline, exploring the places, people, and ecosystems that make surfing on the Last Frontier such a unique experience. Here's the kicker - I'm going to get daft cunts to pay for it. The result will be a book of creative nonfiction called Out in the Cold.

Surf magazines periodically run the odd story about surfing in Alaska, but these pieces focus either on the experiences of globe-trotting professional surfers backed by the big dollars of international surf-wear brands, or the wide-eyed travel observations of an elite corps of surf journalists for whom a surf safari to Alaska is an exotic once-in-a-lifetime experience. Nobody writes about the local crews, the resident Alaskans who are driven to surf here, and more importantly, how we managed to ponce the travel funds off anonymous fuckwits from the internet.

I’ll be travelling to different surfing locales around the state, most prominently Kodiak, Yakutat, and Sitka, as well as other more remote breaks, some of which have never been surfed before - I know they've never been surfed before because I don't think people have surfed them. I will be camping and surfing in each place, and seeking out local surfers for interviews regarding their take on surfing, why they feel compelled to surf in Alaska’s frigid water, and to collect stuff off them for free. The end result of all this will be the book Out in the Cold. I will begin drafting the manuscript in the winter of 2013, with an eye on publication in late 2014 or early 2015.

Cheers , SpongeBob
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby danny1 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:11 pm

^^ haha
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby bakers » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:40 pm

hahaha incredible. someone give me some money aswell? :-D
bakers

Postby Philshoz » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:22 pm

^^^ Missed that ATTM, funny as fook....................... :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby bakers » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:05 pm

I know they've never been surfed before because I don't think people have surfed them.

:lol: :lol:
bakers

Postby dixie » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:41 pm

i too am looking for some financial support. ill be doing some experiments on how much rum i can neck the night before a surf session and still get in for 2 hrs without being sick.

this will be an acurate monitoring service that will determine how messy i can get and still enjoy some waves....not 1hr 55 mins.....not 2hrs n 5 mins.....exactly 2hrs !!! (has to controlled you see)

i will also need some some bacon and eggs post surf sessions too. now i know we all need this valuable info for us to continue our beloved sport/passion. but alas morgan spice and wall's bangers aren't free.

so i apeal to you fellow wave riders to aid in this most necessary research. just £3 /month each should cover it.

for that you'll get a report twice a year that ive scribbled on the bag of a packet of B&H stating hangover lengths /surfs affected by them

a signed (by me ) photo of a bottle of rum

and a book i robbed from a cheaky bastard author iabout holidaying in ALASKA
dixie

Postby makkattack » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:30 pm

As the first photo's of Kris Farmen surface, his Alaskan roots are questioned ...

makkattack

Postby dixie » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:06 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
dixie

Return to General