creased/buckled board repair

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

creased/buckled board repair

Postby pitmonkey » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:39 pm

Can anyone give me any clues about how to go about repairing a buckled/creased board please? The crease is pretty much in the centre of the board on the deck. The stringer's fine, the glass is cracked and it extends all the way to the rails. The bottom shows no sign of damage at all. I'd normally not bother, but this is my favourite board :-( . Cheers!
...time is timeless...
pitmonkey

Re: creased/buckled board repair

Postby Obelix » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:45 pm

Same happened to my favourite board a while back.

Best take it to a shaper unless you're really confident and experienced with repairs.

I got my shaper to do the fix, and it came back perfect, couldn't even see the fix when I looked at it. And it was a bad crease to start with, also all the way to the rails and pretty deep. Used the board for a couple years after the fix and it never got damaged in that same place, and I reckon the flex characteristics of the board were even improved.
Obelix

Re: creased/buckled board repair

Postby coxie » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:19 am

Where are you on the south coast? There is hot pipe repairs near brighton or k bay surfboards or bean surfboards nr bantham.
I would take it to someone who knows what they are doing really it's probably gonna cost around £50 for a proper crease. Maybe less if it's not too bad. The money you would spend in materials and the ball ache it would be to try and do it yourself without the right tools make a pro repair the better option.
Just sticking a straight patch of cloth over the damage will just create another stress point a little further up the board so you need to cut your new cloth in diamond shapes to stop it buckling again, any decent repair guy will do this and you won't have any problems further down the line.
Take it direct to a repairer rather than a surf shop and repairs aren't as expensive as people think.
coxie

Return to General