weak bicep / elbow - slight shoulder pain

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

weak bicep / elbow - slight shoulder pain

Postby ccrhee » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:15 pm

I think I have torn something in my shoulder / bicep because my left arn kept bu.ckling on my last session, making it impossible to pop up. Im now finding it hard to pick up things that are usually not a pr..oblem ( just my left arm ). My arm permanenetly feels like I've slept on it. Has anyone experienced this? Should I just rest it or get a physio? I'm worried about permanent damage...any one?
ccrhee

Re: weak bicep / elbow - slight shoulder pain

Postby Philshoz » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:24 am

Sounds like a torn tendon imho. Do you remember doing anything specific that could have triggered it?

What board were you using, something big and heavy? I have to be careful when pushing my mal through waves or it can damage my shoulder but mine is knackered from years ago.

Rest is a must. try Voltaren gel, maybe some ice on the affected area for 15 mins could help.

If no better after a couple of weeks come back to see me..................... :wink: Or better still see a real doctor............good luck.

Cheers,

Nick Riviera....
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby defever » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:02 am

Hello ccrhee,

Sorry to hear that you're in pain...

How long ago did it happen?
Was it caused by recent specific activity or a gradual onset of weakness/pain and "sleepy arm"?
How much is your pain from scale 0 to 10? and where exactly is it?
Is the pain constant or intermittent depending on the activities you do?
When do you get the pain? (is it more when you wake up / during the day / in the evening-night time?)
What certain activity (other than lifting / pop-up) makes the pain worse?
What makes is relief the pain?

ccrhee wrote: My arm permanently feels like I've slept on it.

Do you mean, numb / pins and needles / altered sensation?

Is there any swelling? Hot sensation around the area? Icing (as Phil mentioned above) is a good first aid if the swelling/hotness is withon 1 - 7ish days.

Have you had anything like this before?

Worth seeing a physio (than a GP who’ll eventually refer you to physio anyways), who will ask something similar to above questions.
It'll help if you can note any of the above and try to figure out the pattern of your symptoms.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
defever

Postby flacky » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:47 pm

Had something similar a couple of years ago, surfing, and tried to stop a chap who was drifting out to sea on a shortboard he couldn't paddle from going over the falls, pulled my shoulder out of place. Went straight back in, but never felt right so saw a doc who sent me to physio, after an hour assessing it turned out to be a pinched nerve. Easy exercises done at home with powerbands and saw him once a fortnight and it was back to normal, took a while, but was usable. Never stopped me surfing. Never had issues again.

The worst pain from it came from turning my front door key! OOF!!!!
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Vince Noir » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:52 am

see a real doctor :roll:
Vince Noir

Postby nick1c » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:43 pm

Could be a number of things, some serious, some trivial - see someone who knows what they are talking about. I would go for an osteopath (I'm biased, I am one) or private physio rather than a GP, if you need referring on they should be able to do it, if they can treat you it could start straight away. A GP would probably refer you to somewhere else (physio, neurologist, orthopod.) - this would be free but slow.
nick1c

Return to General