Surfing around Melbourne, Sydney

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Surfing around Melbourne, Sydney

Postby ads » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:51 am

hey i would be soon on a way to Oz for 3 weeks and most time i stay in Melbourne but that is my first trip to Oz. I would be very thankful if somebody would like to recommend good spots for surfing and some places where i can rent or get cheap surfboards. Maybe somebody has time between 29 jan to 19 feb to hang out and surf with me it would be great.
I would be happy to hear from anyone to give me some tips.
Thanks.
ads

Re: Surfing around Melbourne, Sydney

Postby roberdy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:10 pm

Was round Melbs back in August, surfed down the Gt Ocean Rd, there isn't much around Melbourne itself cause it is in an estuary/big bay but either head south east down the Mornington Peninsula or South West down to Geelong and Bells and you'll find lots of places to surf! Get a guide book too, they are invaluable.
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby surfinsmiler » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:55 pm

Lots of great setups down there.For a nice little beachy try Gunnamatta.Has lots of room and and is lifeguarded.The surf is more powerful than you think.Try Shed7 just down the road for a rental.
Started out in life with nothing and I've still got most of it left!
surfinsmiler

Postby ads » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:55 am

Thanks for all info, definitely I check it
ads

Postby cricket » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:16 am

Anywhere between the Victoria/NSW border and the NSW/Queensland border, just head east and you will hit a beach and you will be able to surf it (well, 90% of them). Admittedly on many you will be by yourself (and wont be able to hire a board nearby).

How good a surfer are you? Sydney northern beaches (Manly up to Narrbeen) are all good, but the further north you get the more tribal it becomes. Manly is fine for anyone from tourists discovering waves for the first time to good surfers although it can be busy. If you head further north, particularly if you arent good ('Australian good'), then you may find it more enjoyable to surf on the 2nd/smaller peaks than to try and mix it with the locals (its not terrible, but you dont want to deal with it if you are happy with taking the smaller stuff - you wont get beaten up or even abused, you will just get dropped in and snaked and so forth if you arent up to scratch)

In Sydney drop by the surf shops in Bondi and Manly and you will be able to rent a board at most of them. They will also give you some info about where to go.

Aust beaches are just as prone to any other beaches to have periods of no swell so dont think its all going to be magic. Dont forget the sunscreen! Around end of Jan you probably can get by without a wetsuit for an hour or so (water temp will be around 20/21C); might be worthwhile taking along a 1mm or 2mm top if you have one to give yourself a bit of leeway or to block the wind. Then again, if its 43C like the other day...

I don't know around Melbourne. As mentioned, its not actually on a surf beach so you will have to travel a little bit out of the city. There are trains. The water will be colder. Also - dont look for surf in Geelong (@roberdy!). You need to travel a bit further
cricket

Return to General