Go-Pro Camera Found :Achnahaird Bay / Lochinver

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Go-Pro Camera Found :Achnahaird Bay / Lochinver

Postby Haggis_trap » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:08 pm

So.... One of my work buddies found a Go Pro camera on the beach at Lochinver / Scotland.
Appreciate this is a long shot - but the Scottish surf scene is pretty small so just maybe someone knows them.
Details below. (sounds like the camera is broken but the SD card still works)

Just spent a week with the family in the NW in the Stoer/Lochinver area. On Thursday we had a walk on Achnahaird Bay ( NC 015 140) just down the coast from Lochinver near Achiltibuie. Seems to be a popular surfing beach, there were a couple of surf vans there when we arrived, on a day when the fresh water on the beach was freezing at the margins. While we were bumbling about the rocks, I found a GoPro camera and housing.

It had obviously been in the water a while, totally waterlogged, lens scratched up, everything corroded. Even so, I reckoned the SD card might survive so I took it back to the cottage and retrieved the SD card. It needed splitting, rinsing, the contacts cleaning and then reassembled, but now I'm home its working just fine. No date stamps on the pictures or videos unfortunately, so no idea of when it was lost. I'd guess in the last few weeks.

Disappointingly the final video sequence does not show some massive wave ripping the GoPro from its moorings, or a Great White appearing behind the surfer. There's about an hours video and a few snapshots.

So, do you have a presence on any Scottish surfing forums? If I were to send you some frame grabs from the videos you could post them, and see if anyone knows the surfers. Someone might be interested to know what happened to their expensive Go Pro. Or maybe you know these chaps.
1.jpg
1.jpg (32.38 KiB) Viewed 522 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (37.51 KiB) Viewed 522 times
Haggis_trap

Re: Go-Pro Camera Found :Achnahaird Bay / Lochinver

Postby Black » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:13 pm

Good post, hope you find them. I have my name, address & promise of a reward in the root directory of my gopro sd just in case - worth a minutes effort methinks.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby ATTMFKH » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:32 am

^^ don't recognise them Haggis ................

Black - that's a great idea - could be worth a wee sticker on the camera body with name & moby ....
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby swiggy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:53 pm

No idea there was many surfers up that way. I have surfed around there once, its pretty obvious it gets waves on a northish swell just from a map, but I thought it was pretty out there. If I lost a camera after a trip or something the memory card would be worth way more to me than the camera itself, but I guess it depends how many shots are on there..
swiggy

Postby Haggis_trap » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:57 am

Just got a PM
Sounds like the camera belongs to a well known east lothian surf school :-D
Super cool - glad to have been able to help out. Cheers guys!
Nice wee story

Haggis_trap

Postby danny1 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:37 pm

great stuff
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby Chris F » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:06 pm

swiggy wrote:No idea there was many surfers up that way. I have surfed around there once, its pretty obvious it gets waves on a northish swell just from a map, but I thought it was pretty out there.

I've seen photos of it looking pretty good, very rare though, thewindow is small. Sadly the campsite has now closed, was one of my favourite places in Scotland. Some amazing climbing in tha area too, Reiff is awesome.
Chris F

Return to General