North Wales / Anglesey destinations

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

North Wales / Anglesey destinations

Postby L-man » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:08 am

As I live in the Midlands, West Wales is generally the easiest place to head for a day trip [usually go to Borth]. Looking to head up to Anglesey or Hells Mouth this Saturday coming, not been to either before, got 1 or 2 who need to rent a board and/or suit; any recommendations on somewhere with easy parking, shop to rent from and decent waves for some beginners with bigger stuff out back to pelican in?
L-man

Re: North Wales / Anglesey destinations

Postby Philshoz » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:54 am

Rentals from Westcoast, Abersoch......Spout will sort you out..........

Forecast not looking too great though......... :-(
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby sandytim » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:50 pm

You can be crossing the Britania bridge onto Anglesey in two hours from the Midlands.
The trouble is you can add a good hour and a half onto that to get to hellsmouth, by which time you could have got yourself to north Devon with it's greater swell consistancy and variety of aspects.
Don't get me wrong I've had some of my most fun surfs on Anglesey and Hellsmouth. You've just got to make sure you can read the charts well and be prepared for the odd disappointment.
There's plenty of rental spots in Abersoch for Hellsmouth or on Anglesey you've got Funsports in Rhosneigr.
The breaks on Anglesey are mostly mellow and safe (head for Rhosneiger's broadbeach and the beaches east to Porth Trecastell).
Where as Hellmouth is a great long fun beachbreak but can be trickier (and larger) than it looks from the beach and can be quite rippy in larger swells.
sandytim

Postby Kabazz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:32 pm

If the wind stays southerly you'll do better going to borth and getting shelter from the cliffs. Can hire from AberAdventures
Kabazz

Return to General