rip curl zip repair

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

rip curl zip repair

Postby tootes » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:10 pm

the bit of the zip where the long thing that you pull up attached to the zip itself snapped on my 4 year old f-bomb on Friday.

Is it possible to send it back to Rip Curl does anyone know? or what the warrenty deal is. I no longer have any reciept.
wheels and water blog
http://tootes.blogspot.com/
Eco Kindle Blog
http://ecokindle.blogspot.com/
tootes

Re: rip curl zip repair

Postby ATTMFKH » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:29 pm

cut the zip puller bit off & leave only the little hoop - use a keyring loop to thread through and attach a piece of lanyard ( the stuff you get for badges at seminars / conferences)
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Vince Noir » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:39 pm

unless tootes means that the loop itself has broken. this happened to me on a suit..it meant either having a passer by zip me up, or having flexible shoulders and struggling with a stuck, sandy, rusty zip for 10 mins..pain in the arse

i think ripcurl have a years warranty on materials, but 3 years on seams...not sure if youd be covered
Vince Noir

Postby tootes » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:58 pm

Vince Noir wrote:unless tootes means that the loop itself has broken. this happened to me on a suit..it meant either having a passer by zip me up, or having flexible shoulders and struggling with a stuck, sandy, rusty zip for 10 mins..pain in the arse

i think ripcurl have a years warranty on materials, but 3 years on seams...not sure if youd be covered

Aye, loop is broken. I am going to see if I can create a small hole using a tiny drill bit tomorrow to get a key ring onto it.

or weld onto it.
wheels and water blog
http://tootes.blogspot.com/
Eco Kindle Blog
http://ecokindle.blogspot.com/
tootes

Postby Philshoz » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:01 pm

tootes wrote:
Vince Noir wrote:unless tootes means that the loop itself has broken. this happened to me on a suit..it meant either having a passer by zip me up, or having flexible shoulders and struggling with a stuck, sandy, rusty zip for 10 mins..pain in the arse

Aye, loop is broken. I am going to see if I can create a small hole using a tiny drill bit tomorrow to get a key ring onto it.

Did that on an ebomb two years ago and it still works
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby t'otherone » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:40 pm

Just happened to me today....doh ! Hoping by the time I get back from my holidays it will be all about wakes for a month or so then I can drop the 6mm till next winter.
I dont know how it works but I like it all the same!
t'otherone

Postby Paul C » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:22 pm

I have had two Rip Curls and on both the zip can be very difficult with jamming and I have had to ask someone to zip me up.
I find lubricating the zip with a bit of vaseline helps.
Paul C

Postby swiggy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:00 pm

happened to me, I did the same thing ATT did, except I just put the key ring thing through and used that (chest zip, don't need a lanyard).
swiggy

Postby t'otherone » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:58 am

Its the bridge on the zip thats broken, not the bit you hold on to.

Not much left to try and drill through but i'm going to have to give it a go either that or superglue lol
t'otherone

Postby swiggy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:20 pm

I don't remember what an equivalent product would be called in the UK (been away 2 1/2 years now :shock: ) but JB weld would be much better than superglue. Its basically just an epoxy, but really strong and designed to repair metal and plastic things. JB is just a brand name, theres probably something similar
swiggy

Postby barsky » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:33 pm

I had the same sort of breakage and mended it with Araldite as follows:
Roughen the remaining bit of metal up with sandpaper/file
Put a good blob of Araldite on it and let it dry
Use a needle file to file a groove in the set glue
Place a suitable loop of strong cord/string in the groove
Put a load more Araldite on top.

It looks a mess but it has held strong through the winter
barsky

Postby ATTMFKH » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:27 pm

good old Araldite ........... me and the missus stripped our dishwasher down, some wee crap plastic switch thing had broken rendering it f*cked ...... mix mix blob smooth ..........job done :mrgreen: £300 saved

good tip there Barsky
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby t'otherone » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:27 pm

dragging this up ....got a new suit as a 40th birthday present back in april but kept hold of the one with the broken zip.

tried the glue, araldite and a few other methods but kept on coming off.....maybe im just crap at diy. no, I AM crap at diy.

Anyway, I was looking through my 'register your email address' email account today and this was in it. http://www.gotvstore.com:80/product-p/32.htm

Seems like a decent solution, shame you cant pick up singles though
t'otherone

Return to General