Dealing with Australia's shark 'problem'..

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Dealing with Australia's shark 'problem'..

Postby The Decorator » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:05 am

www.mugofsunshine.blogspot.com
The Decorator

Re: Dealing with Australia's shark 'problem'..

Postby mountain man » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:07 am

Yeah well, that's the Aussies for you. Not exactly renowned for the old grey matter. If in doubt kill it seems to be the mentality.
mountain man

Postby shackattack2 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:29 am

Shameful people. Whats even more worrying are some of the comments at the bottom.
Quote:

"Those who don't support shark nets on our beaches are delusional. I suspect most of you were not born in australia nor your parents and/or have been brain washed by greenies in our schools. I am a seventh generation australian and have been educated on the dangers of sharks. They will increase as the whale poplation increases. My brother in law was in Perth and witnessed a shark attack."

I think he didn't read the part about the shark expert saying most sharks were caught on the beach sides. But he's proved his Australian sovoreignty so I gues you can't argue....all those years discussing sharks inbetween beer drinking, belching and wanking off in his 4X4. This guy knowwwwws it!

You can always tell an aussie but ya can't tell em anything:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp0Bt2cb ... ata_player
http://tomsandbasil.com/
shackattack2

Postby defever » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:18 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pjbH5OuBc4

I am not against nor for "shark cull" and there is definitely confusion of facts and myths about sharks and "shark attacks". Never lived in a place where "shark attack" is common. But clips like above doesn't convince people like me, who are barely educated about sharks, that they are not that dangerous...

On the other hand... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJnxYsZNzwM
Smell of duff beer all over it but still fun to watch it.
Last edited by defever on Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
defever

Postby Chris F » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:48 am

shackattack2 wrote: I am a seventh generation australian and have been educated on the dangers of sharks.

Then he should know that sharks were around in Australian waters for a few thousand years before the first humans. I think that a cull would be a terrible idea, and even then wouldn't solve the problem. We are invading their territory and have to take that risk.
Chris F

Postby lefty » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:17 pm

you slag off australians like the english wouldnt do the same if there was a shark problem here....

:roll:
lefty

Postby Chris F » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:33 pm

Possibly, fact is England doesn't have the problem (nor does Scotland, Wales or Ireland :roll: but that's by the by)

And no matter how much Australians get slagged off, it isn't enough. :wink:

So what do you think is the best solution?
Chris F

Postby buttholesurfer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:45 pm

I remember my first paddle out with my brother at Jan Juc, thought it was a large log on the waters edge. Bloody thing was a seal with its head bitten off and very large bite marks on its carcass. It stunk to high heaven. No shark or stinking seal was going to ruin my session after being stuck on a plane for 24 hours! :-D
buttholesurfer

Postby lefty » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:55 pm

Chris F wrote:Possibly, fact is England doesn't have the problem (nor does Scotland, Wales or Ireland :roll: but that's by the by)

And no matter how much Australians get slagged off, it isn't enough. :wink:

you scamp :lol:

anyway, when did the hate for Aussies come about. i must have missed the memo...?

my point though was more that human beings ( in general ) are bellends regardless of nationality, colour or creed...

Chris F wrote:
So what do you think is the best solution?

f*ck knows boss. you play in their world, dont come crying if they mistake you for food. no need to hunt them down or give em' a kickin whenever ones spotted. beautiful creatures and like you say, theyve been around a lot longer than us, we should give them more respect..
lefty

Postby shackattack2 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:13 pm

I love Australia and most of the people.I'm engaged to a stunningly beatutiful Australian Godess! My comment was pretty snide. You're right...its the people and not the country that frustrates ya; bogans, chavs and bully's of all nations. Austrlia happens to contain a large percentage of bogans, some of whom have made their way into positions of power. As the paper demonstrates by publishing the article, this kind of behaviour is socially accpeted here.

Grey Nurse sharks where hunted to the point of near extinction until they found out they weren't actually dangerous. Yeeeeeeeeeeeharrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I just worry what's next. Cholirante the ocean so we can create a big swimming pool?
shackattack2

Postby The Decorator » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:28 pm

In fairness, the vast majority of the comments on the CourierMails website was overwhelmingly in favour of the shark and hammering the newspapers reporting. I would hazzard a guess that the comments made by the minority are by unaware, uneducated Australians akin to UK's 'Daily Mail readers'

The policy of drumlining and netting costs $2.4m pa in QLD alone and is regarded by Government as essential for tourism. If they spent the same money on additional lifeguards they could potentially save hundreds of people a year. average of 309 people PER YEAR drowned in Qld between 2008-2011. Fatal shark attacks in Qld? 68 IN 200 YEARS!!
The Decorator

Postby The Decorator » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:30 pm

Your phone battery dead Brian? :?
The Decorator

Postby shackattack2 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:32 pm

lol busy day yesterday.....need to get credit for it. Love pay as you go old skool phones :lol:
shackattack2

Postby The Decorator » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:36 pm

Just ping me I'll call you back ya bludger.
The Decorator

Postby lefty » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:51 am

The Decorator wrote:I would hazzard a guess that the comments made by the minority are by unaware, uneducated Australians akin to UK's 'Daily Mail readers'

precisely man. imagine the headlines the daily mail would come up with if we had shark attacks here !

"AIDS RIDDEN SHARKS SMUGGLES GAY TERRORISTS INTO THE COUNTRY TO STEAL OUR JOBS !!!1!"

and sadly a lot of their readers would believe it....

:bellends:
lefty

Postby lefty » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:55 am

shackattack2 wrote:

I just worry what's next ?

indeed... " we have killed the very earth beneath our feet... yet we still kill each other and speak of the future " - eugene mc daniels
lefty

Postby Chris F » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:53 am

lefty wrote:anyway, when did the hate for Aussies come about. i must have missed the memo...?

Slagging off doesn't mean hatred. It's just cause you suck at most sports, have shit beer and talk funny.
Chris F

Postby lefty » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:35 am

Chris F wrote:
lefty wrote:anyway, when did the hate for Aussies come about. i must have missed the memo...?

Slagging off doesn't mean hatred. It's just cause you suck at most sports, have shit beer and talk funny.

our women are dirtier and the weather is awesomely better than in england. we can import beer and anyone who lives north of watford talk like they have a nutsack in their mouth.

australians beat posh english folk at their own games. games which are shite but we choose to beat you at them to prove to you how shite these games are ( rugby & cricket )

im english by the way :wink:
lefty

Postby Chris F » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:12 pm

And I'm not. :lol:
Chris F

Postby lefty » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:15 pm

:-D
lefty

Postby WP101 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:01 pm

Its bloody baffling that a country with such a huge diversity of sea creatures goes about controlling them like some fucking redneck with a shotgun.
The technology to deter sharks is out there, i cant believe that it isnt possible to shepherd them out of harms way using some kind of offshore buoy system that sends out a signal to scare them off. Shark nets are archaic and inhumane.
WP101

Postby Vince Noir » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:28 pm

lefty wrote:

"AIDS RIDDEN SHARKS SMUGGLES GAY TERRORISTS INTO THE COUNTRY TO STEAL OUR JOBS and also cause cancer !!!1!"

fixed
Vince Noir

Postby Chris F » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:36 pm

WP101 wrote: i cant believe that it isnt possible to shepherd them out of harms way using some kind of offshore buoy system that sends out a signal to scare them off

Apparently when one of the personal "shark shields" was being tested a shark ate it. Hmmm.
Chris F

Postby lefty » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:44 pm

Vince Noir wrote:
lefty wrote:

"AIDS RIDDEN SHARKS SMUGGLES GAY TERRORISTS INTO THE COUNTRY TO STEAL OUR JOBS and also cause cancer !!!1!"

fixed

:lol:

deplorable paper...
lefty

Postby defever » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:08 am

Possible solution to the "problem"?: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-21118440

Don't mess with y ddraig goch!
defever

Postby WP101 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:35 am

Fatal shark attack in Auckland NZ
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21597746

why the fuck did the cop think he should shoot the shark? its not a criminal.

theres a plan to cull in oz, although hopefully it wont go through.
WP101

Return to General