Do longboarders have more fun?

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Do longboarders have more fun?

Postby dermo909 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:00 pm

I noticed today that it was longboarders catching the most waves while the shortboarders were struggling to catch one. Invariably the shortboarders would either get the wave breaking on their head or have a short ride which was completely different to the longboarders who could catch the wave earlier and have a good 100m of wave face to play with.

So for your average surfer riding an average wve, is riding a shorter board just a bit too much hard work when they could be catching loads of waves on a 9 footer?
dermo909

Re: Do longboarders have more fun?

Postby briggfoot » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:45 pm

dermo909 wrote:I noticed today that it was longboarders catching the most waves while the shortboarders were struggling to catch one. Invariably the shortboarders would either get the wave breaking on their head or have a short ride which was completely different to the longboarders who could catch the wave earlier and have a good 100m of wave face to play with.

So for your average surfer riding an average wve, is riding a shorter board just a bit too much hard work when they could be catching loads of waves on a 9 footer?

Perhaps they can catch more waves, earlier, easier etc, and maybe this is partly why SUP'ers are becoming more prevelent, but when you see a long-boarder getting beasted after being caught inside on a large set and not able to duck-dive through the waves, it's all worth it. :lol:

It seems a smoother glide on a long-board, (might be wrong?!) but I know I can't get or generate as much speed as on something shorter. Much simpler transporting a short board to the beach as well.

Why be one or the other? Different board for different conditions.....?
Last edited by briggfoot on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
briggfoot

Postby nomar » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:23 pm

Quite simply YES we do. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
nomar

Postby twinfin » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:01 pm

I ride both long and short love the glide stoke but do tend to overdose and then need a shortboard session . shortboard gives you that rush feeling
twinfin

Postby Poo Stance » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:57 pm

Shortboarding helps you ride the wave.
Longboarding helps you ride the board.

When you can apply what you've learned from one to the other then you are really kicking it.

Or maybe I'm full of shit.

Fun is subjective. Tread carefully with this thread ye shall awaken the RS :wink:
Poo Stance

Postby Ferral » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:37 pm

^ Valid point poo, a thread about the longboards promoted through the industry conspiracy and daring to suggest surfing might be so frivolous and trivial as to be fun is treading on veeeery thin ice :lol:
Ferral

Postby Black » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:53 pm

Its a scientific fact that blonds have more fun, regardless of what they stand on! :arrow:
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby mal-nourished » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:01 am

too many people fall into the trap that more waves equals more fun give me quality over quantity ....long or short its fun if you want it to be its a mindset thing ... :?
mal-nourished

Postby Chris F » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:03 am

briggfoot wrote:Why be one or the other? Different board for different conditions.....?

Indeed. Use the best tools for the job. Same with skiing / snowboarding. It's the superiority complex that some people have that what they do is so much better than anything else that I find so lame. Open your mind, discover and enjoy.
Chris F

Postby dermo909 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:03 am

Yeah I suppose taking a set on the head is a lot worse on a longboard!
dermo909

Postby Werwulf1919 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:30 pm

Longboarders get in more...catch more waves...and are way more cooler :wink:
http://mohawkeastcoastsurf.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/edmohawk1919
Werwulf1919

Postby gavtheoldskater » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:51 pm

go get a sup if all you care about is wave count.

but if you care about sensation, ride what does it for you and you alone.
a world of waves and a world of ways to ride them!
gavtheoldskater

Postby North Devon Lad » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:33 pm

Horses for courses.

I love longboarding, but I also have great fun mixing it up on shorter boards too.
Learn to duck dive a mal and paddling out is no longer an issue.

In North Devon, we have a longboard club called the Hotdoggers http://www.hotdoggers.co.uk
Based at Saunton, there's an awesome vibe, comps, BBQ's, socials, party's, trips abroad....... think about joining.
http://gregnormansurfer.blogspot.com/
www.blackandwhitesurfcoltd.co.uk
www.tikisurf.co.uk
www.elusivesurf.com
www.obsessive-disorder.com
North Devon Lad

Postby Ferral » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:32 am

North Devon Lad wrote:Horses for courses.

I love longboarding...In North Devon, we have a special club called the Doggers http://www.northdevondoggers.co.uk
Based at the back of Saunton carpark, there's an awesome vibe, speed-dogging socials, party's, trips to other well known carparks abroad....... think about joining.

not sure if this is the time or place for that mate, does say a lot about longboarding though!!
Ferral

Postby Black » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:53 am

:lol:
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby dermo909 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:06 am

I'd love some tips on duck diving a longboard if anyone can help. I usually just angle the nose (slightly sideways) into the wave and most of the time I get through ok. Anything over 3ft and it gets a bit scary though! I'll put that question in the learn to surf section....

Back on topic, I can see the attraction of having a shorter board for different days and there are times when I wish for something more manoeuvrable through while getting out of the whitewater.
dermo909

Postby bakers » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:51 am

I took my mal out a few weeks ago and although not a longboard it was a lot of fun. getting it out back took me a few attempts though! props to the real longboarders who get out back on the bigger days!
bakers

Postby danny1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:19 pm

mal-nourished wrote:too many people fall into the trap that more waves equals more fun give me quality over quantity ....long or short its fun if you want it to be its a mindset thing ... :?

welcome back mal- missed you feLLA!
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby danny1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:20 pm

Chris F wrote:
briggfoot wrote:Why be one or the other? Different board for different conditions.....?

Indeed. Use the best tools for the job. Same with skiing / snowboarding. It's the superiority complex that some people have that what they do is so much better than anything else that I find so lame. Open your mind, discover and enjoy.
AMEN
danny1

Postby danny1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:21 pm

if its weak or fat its the longboard or fun board

if its breaking fast with nice shape power then its the short ones.
danny1

Postby kingkahuna » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:42 pm

Surfers have more fun.
On the day you're describing it was definitely the longboarders having more fun, but crank up the heat a bit and the short boarders would have been set while the longboarders pearled, fell on drops and made general fools of themselves. Logs are fun, so are shortboards. Learn to have fun on both crafts and you'll have more fun than a skateboard anyday.
"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you." - Genghis Kahn
kingkahuna

Postby buttholesurfer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:46 pm

NO!
buttholesurfer

Postby Roy Stuart » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:54 am

Duckdiving a longboard is a pretty hopeless task, if they are heavy enough they can be rolled under very successfully even in pretty big surf.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Return to General