Big wave dudes turning to SUPs?

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Big wave dudes turning to SUPs?

Postby skimmer2 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:21 am

As I was googling for advice on how the hell you get big SUPs out through bigger waves ( I got trashed the other day and gave up :lol: ) I came across this thread discussing how some of the big waves surfers are turning to SUPs. Thought it was quite interesting...are times a changing?

http://stokereport.com/rant/why-do-people-sup-big-surf
skimmer2

Re: Big wave dudes turning to SUPs?

Postby tootes » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:14 am

On the look out for one at the moment, My big wave days are nearly over.... :lol: :lol: ..well they never began.

In other stalking the skimmer news I saw you on the sledging hill on Saturday BTW - well putting your kids (is your daughter P2/3?) back in the car. I was with the embarressing wailing 5 year old and my mad for it 18month old.
wheels and water blog
http://tootes.blogspot.com/
Eco Kindle Blog
http://ecokindle.blogspot.com/
tootes

Postby skimmer2 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:00 pm

tootes wrote:On the look out for one at the moment, My big wave days are nearly over.... :lol: :lol: ..well they never began.

In other stalking the skimmer news I saw you on the sledging hill on Saturday BTW - well putting your kids (is your daughter P2/3?) back in the car. I was with the embarressing wailing 5 year old and my mad for it 18month old.

Should have said hello...my youngster was also playing up about getting in the car btw.....effin stubborn as her mum!! I was up there before the crowds turned up - gets a bit dodgy with lots of tots/mums on mobiles etc standing in the way when you are bombing down. My wee yin is in nursery....P1 later in the year...she just looks older as she's a tad bigger than others her age.

The bay was really strange on Tuesday - went down in the afternoon with the SUP (big mistake). Looked like good SUP waves from the car park coming in but when I got down there all of a sudden it ramped right up and then dropped then ramped up and so on. Strong current along the bay too. Gave up in the end after being totally minced a few times trying to get out....should have got the longboard out...silly bugger! Was out with another SUPer on the weekend there...was pretty good at times but got stuck in two mini blizzards! Gullane can be pretty good for the SUPs....when it is big down the road then usually something to play/learn on.
skimmer2

Postby tootes » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:21 pm

Jess has just gone into p1 so guess she will be the year above although they seem to do random things with the class mix. Mr Dagger seems to be well loved by mine, glad she is loving school again. My Mrs is getting to know all the mums already so guess she will have met and drank coffee with yours before long!!
I went for a look (took jess to the beach) on Saturday and Sunday and would have gone in had I been able, it looked longboardable for sure. Took the short board in Monday mainly cos it was easier to carry in the wind, not ridden it for a year so good to get on it. Rip as you say was crazy, but ok as long as you get out and walk after each couple of waves.
wheels and water blog
http://tootes.blogspot.com/
Eco Kindle Blog
http://ecokindle.blogspot.com/
tootes

Postby danny1 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:35 pm

skimmer2 wrote:As I was googling for advice on how the hell you get big SUPs out through bigger waves ( I got trashed the other day and gave up :lol: ) I came across this thread discussing how some of the big waves surfers are turning to SUPs. Thought it was quite interesting...are times a changing?

http://stokereport.com/rant/why-do-people-sup-big-surf

interesting- i should really get a SUP this year. what is the smallest you can go?
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby skimmer2 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:07 pm

http://www.gongsup.com/-GONG-2012-SUP-B ... ml?lang=fr

plenty short SUPs made by Gong (French) which surf probably better than most other SUPs - very thinned out - but taken you a while to get to grips with them that's for sure.
skimmer2

Postby defever » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:48 pm

WOW. GONG sells a SUP as short as 5'9"!! 5'9" x 31 1/2" x 5 5/16"!! 105L, 6.5kg!! haaa...

Almost twice as wide and twice as thick as an ordinary shortboard of that length. Amazing, I would love to see someone surfing on this.
defever

Postby gavtheoldskater » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:23 pm

i surfed a 7ft6 a few times, it was ok, nothing special. if i was going to consider another wave sup i'd look for something around 8ft10-9'ish 4-5 fin but then the only reason i would buy another wave board was for surfing offshore waves that it was'nt really feasable to paddle prone to. naish, fanatic and nah skwell top of my list to look at.

anyhow, getting out in surf... simple... timing, speed and don't be afraid to knee paddle. that really is about it i'm afraid, no magic techniques to suddenly let you duck dive an aircraft carrier size board. if you get hit by whitewater get a hand on the tail saver and hang on, the trick is to lose as little ground as possible. as soon as you can get up and paddle like crazy, you have to use your sheer paddle speed to your advantage.

going out, timing. get as deep as you can and hold ground, then wait for a lull in the sets. be patient.

imho though, raceboards are the sup to get.
a world of waves and a world of ways to ride them!
gavtheoldskater

Postby kingkahuna » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:08 pm

SUP's are the same as alaias. They're handicaping for surfers who are too good to get the same kicks out of conventional equipment. Get bored on a shortboard? Try an SUP. The best example is Jamie O'Brien, who surfs pipe everyday and uses boards from foam tops to guns to sups.
"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you." - Genghis Kahn
kingkahuna

Postby skimmer2 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:58 am

Like this wee bit of footage - especially how he pivots effortlessly on the first wave and he is off....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNaA8pZfSQk

Gav - I've seen footage of guys taking on bigger surf and using some technique to paddle through and over the wave but to mere mortals I think timing as you say is the answer....and taking a lot of beatings :lol: :lol: Deffo works to get the back foot in a surf stance when the wave is about to hit.

Seems alien after prone surfing but plenty still say to dive over the wave or under before when it comes to walls of white stuff. Just have to be very sure no-one is behind you. Just doesn't set a good example to prone surfers though and many think you are not doing the right thing.

On manufacturers - think they are all made in the east basically. No direct experience but Naish seem to have a rep overseas of being good designs but not that tough. Fanatic have good rep. I have both a Fanatic and Gong. Whilst the Gong isn't as tough they are plenty tough enough for surfing and the designs are probably some of the best around for surfing....just don't think their quality control is as good as the others too. My board however is fine - love it and it surfs great and they cost LOADS less.
skimmer2

Postby jonysan » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:29 pm

Usual ride at Saunton, on a Gong SUP , the smallest being a 6'11 , works from knee high to head high, but definitely easier to balance on if it's glassy or at least not too much chop, also have an 8'6 fairly flat rockered board (Gong Empire) which is easy to ride, if you surf, you can easily ride this.
don't have a "longboard" SUP at the moment, but should be getting a Gong around 9'2 ish fairly soon, very similar to classic longboard shape.............. anyway

if you are down at Saunton, you are very welcome to try these boards, whether you have ridden an SUP or not. I'm the older, bald guy, using red boards. ..........[ no I don't have an financial gain, they give me some discount and I like the brand!]
here's a link to a "longboard" style video on their website, the rider is Patrice Guenole, owner/shaper of Gong.

http://www.gongsup.com/Too-long.html?lang=fr

the rider is around 105 kilos, and rides boards as short as 6'8, Sups don't need to be like boats !!

John.
jonysan

Return to General