joel tudor#unfiltered

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

joel tudor#unfiltered

Postby Werwulf1919 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:43 am

Great interview with Joel Tudor i nicked off surfer mag-
http://mohawkeastcoastsurf.blogspot.co. ... l?spref=tw
http://mohawkeastcoastsurf.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/edmohawk1919
Werwulf1919

Re: joel tudor#unfiltered

Postby skimmer2 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:01 pm

One of my fav surfers to watch.....but read on a forum or two that in the water he can be a total knob....cuts in on folk, steals waves and so on and doesn't give a shit. And that is from folk who have no axe to grind - just regular everyday folks.

Shame if that is the case but hey - maybe he had a bad day.
skimmer2

Postby Werwulf1919 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:31 pm

I interviewed him a a while back when he won the world champs in Fuerteventura. A really nice fella who was a real anglophile(lived in London for a bit) because his last name was English. Even said that if surfing was in the Olympics he would surf for Britain !
http://mohawkeastcoastsurf.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/edmohawk1919
Werwulf1919

Postby Roy Stuart » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:59 pm

Some interesting stuff and a lot of BS as well. The whole 'people should stop getting video of their surfing' is pretty silly, as is the 'longboarding should be an under head high mixture of Nat, David, and a bit of Joel'. :lol:
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby swiggy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:22 pm

Joel tudor has incredibly bad manners and is well known for being a snake and drop-in artist. The reason he got into martial arts was because he kept getting beaten up for it, especially in hawaii. Now he drops in on everyone but can also back it up and fight on the beach :roll:
swiggy

Postby Roy Stuart » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:48 pm

:lol:
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby skimmer2 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:36 pm

swiggy wrote:Joel tudor has incredibly bad manners and is well known for being a snake and drop-in artist. The reason he got into martial arts was because he kept getting beaten up for it, especially in hawaii. Now he drops in on everyone but can also back it up and fight on the beach :roll:

That sounds about right.....
skimmer2

Postby Rickyroughneck » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:27 pm

The "under head high" thing is stupid. Longboarding is awesomely fun to watch over head high.
Rickyroughneck

Postby Passportstamps » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:50 am

Surfing is better when no one is filming it. If everyone listened to Joel we'd have way less kooks in the world and about half the number of surfers in the lineup.
Passportstamps

Postby Ferral » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:11 am

swiggy wrote:Joel tudor has incredibly bad manners and is well known for being a snake and drop-in artist. The reason he got into martial arts was because he kept getting beaten up for it, especially in hawaii. Now he drops in on everyone but can also back it up and fight on the beach :roll:

This might be contentious, but I reckon 90% of 'really good' surfers are snakes and drop-in artists. In today's crowded line-ups if you want a lot of waves you have to snake, and if you are going to get really good you have to have a lot of waves and have a competitive mindset.

Certainly the few times I've been abroad surfing and there have been big names in the water they've not been the politest.
Ferral

Postby waxer00 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:12 am

i wish it was filtered.then it would`nt be so confused,contradictory,elitist,selfish ,self aggrandising.apart from that it was entertaining.
waxer00

Postby skimmer2 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:49 am

Ferral wrote:

This might be contentious, but I reckon 90% of 'really good' surfers are snakes and drop-in artists. In today's crowded line-ups if you want a lot of waves you have to snake, and if you are going to get really good you have to have a lot of waves and have a competitive mindset.

Certainly the few times I've been abroad surfing and there have been big names in the water they've not been the politest.

I was quite disappointed when I heard some of the stuff he had got up to as you imagine someone of his skill could do all the stuff he needs to in a way that doesn't have to piss off others. Still - it is only hearsay on web forums....
skimmer2

Return to General