Resistance bands, who's using them?

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Resistance bands, who's using them?

Postby insideout » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:22 pm

The mrs mum bought me a set of adjustable resistance bands with 'turn key technology' for christmas, instant cringe as i opened the box and revealed what was inside!

Anyway i watched the instruction DVD through pure boredom and i continued on to try them out. I see how they work out the muscles you use for surfing but i'm not sure they will be getting used again any time soon.

Thoughts?
insideout

Re: Resistance bands, who's using them?

Postby Ferral » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:39 pm

I use some cheap resistance bands for physio. knackered my shoulder through overuse surfing so have to keep all the muscles around it in good order. Use them to work the muscles you don't use surfing. preventions better than cure and all.
Ferral

Postby Chris F » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:54 pm

That's what I theraband for too. Knackered shoulders due to imbalances fron surfing and climbing. Worth doing if you have the classic climber's / surfers hunch.
Chris F

Postby gavtheoldskater » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:14 pm

i don't, yet, but they keep cropping up in a lot of the swim/tri/running stuff i look at right now and i can see the point. most of the instruction i read says to use bike inner tubes.
a world of waves and a world of ways to ride them!
gavtheoldskater

Postby ATTMFKH » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:13 pm

Ferral wrote:I use some cheap resistance bands for physio. knackered my shoulder through overuse surfing so have to keep all the muscles around it in good order. Use them to work the muscles you don't use surfing. preventions better than cure and all.

^^ same.

Purple band
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Chris F » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:03 pm

gavtheoldskater wrote:i don't, yet, but they keep cropping up in a lot of the swim/tri/running stuff i look at right now and i can see the point. most of the instruction i read says to use bike inner tubes.

Complete inner tube probably isn't stretchy enought to provide reistance through the full range of movement, might need to cut some strips from one.
Chris F

Postby dermo909 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:21 pm

I was given a set of powerstroke bands last summer and have used them on and off since then. They are a good workout for sure and I can see how they can help with paddle strength.
dermo909

Postby Underdog » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:04 pm

insideout wrote:Thoughts?

Sounds like the mrs mum did her best here and actually gave the pressie some thought. Give it your best shot, use them like shit and drop better hints about next years pressie.

BTW , what did you get her?
Godrevy; Just like surfing. but smaller (and without the power)
Underdog

Postby Black » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:13 pm

I would resist using resistance bands in order to achieve double resistance in one action thereby achieving twice the effect.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby well-chilled-out » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:54 pm

I had them fitted & I lost five stone.Lost all appetite.....Wouldn't recommend them over a balanced diet but as a last resort..
well-chilled-out

Postby artyk » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:49 am

i got some been an inland surfer thought they would keep me fit and they did i saw a massive improvement in my fitness was doing them every other night for an hour then started to get pain in shoulders went to see physio and i had the over training injury some of the guys on earlier post mentioned an imbalance in strength of shoulder muscles so now i do other exercises to keep the other shoulder muscles exercised, i was well impressed to be fair just don't go crazy using them and i reckon you can only benefit from them
artyk

Return to General