Thoughts on a "sweet potato"???

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells, surf travel, learn to surf and more. Everyone and anyone welcome. Try to keep it friendly...

Thoughts on a "sweet potato"???

Postby still learning » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:38 pm

Just after what people thoughts are on the sweet potato who have one, or have surfed on one??

Hopefully when the wind drops going to demo one for the day but that might be some time...!!!!

On a slow learning curve with surfing and hope to be surfing short boards in the future, however for sloppy/slow days I get out on a longboard which I do enjoy but looking for that bit of speed and more manouverabilty that looks like you get from the SP, matched with its easy wave catching ability. You Tube vids show all this but can safely say those on you tube a far more advanced than me!!! Gonna play it safe and go for a 5'10 or 6'.
I currently ride a custom 6'4" (36ltr) with very little rocker for average surf and a 9' longboard on weak/slow days.

What do you reckon???
still learning

Re: Thoughts on a "sweet potato"???

Postby Vince Noir » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:13 pm

they taste pretty good mashed with butter, splash of milk, and salt and pepper. goes well with steak too. never tried to surf one though
Vince Noir

Postby still learning » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:25 am

ha ha..... :lol: funny enough when writing my post i knew id get an answer like that, any other thoughts on other savoury baked goods???
still learning

Postby Nick... » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:22 am

It's better than your average potato, which is a plus...
Nick...

Postby ATTMFKH » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:34 pm

Riding a Yam myself ........

The aggressive bottom contour creates considerable lift and the deep double concave with a 'spine' down the middle divide the board in half isolating the fins, rocker and bottom on one side of the board at a time. This allows the board to get on a rail quickly. The Yam is the board you should always bring on a surf check, and you'll find yourself ripping on small days where you'd otherwise go home.

5'6" x 22" x 2 5/8 8) yum yum the Yam's a bam
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Philshoz » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:28 pm

I tried a plantain in Costa Rica but it had way too much rocker. Slippery as fook....... :shock:
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby still learning » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:12 pm

Philshoz wrote:I tried a plantain in Costa Rica but it had way too much rocker. Slippery as fook....... :shock:

Isn't that a performance banana???
still learning

Postby ATTMFKH » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:09 pm

Here's my travel potato ......

Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Black » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:03 pm

still learning wrote:
Philshoz wrote:I tried a plantain in Costa Rica but it had way too much rocker. Slippery as fook....... :shock:

Isn't that a performance banana???

Depends what you do with it!! :shock:
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby kingkahuna » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:51 pm

Nick... wrote:It's better than your average potato, which is a plus...

Ha! This.

But really, its fun in crap waves. Which is to say its not really all that fun, unless theres crap waves, and who cares about crap waves. Since most surfers have crap waves by their house, the shapers are making boards for them. Save money on a board and buy a plane ticket somewhere.
"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you." - Genghis Kahn
kingkahuna

Postby prjwebb » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:38 pm

I dunno, I thought it was one of those boards I could definitely live without... until I demoed one. After having so much fun on one in stomach high, fat, high tide godrevy in the middle of winter when I normally would have been heading home, I ordered one right away.
In small, perfect waves they are so much fun and in medium sized junk they are a blast too, so fast. Through the middle of Jan I had some amazing sessions in stomach to head high, perfect clean but mellow peaks. Really fun for wrapping cutties on.
It ended up being the board I was on 80%+ of the time through the shitty summer we had last year and I can't see myself being without one now.
prjwebb

Postby danny1 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:49 pm

this is a rob royal potato with large but crack

yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby danny1 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:50 pm

my big wave potato

danny1

Postby shackattack2 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:31 am

They're really popular in Ireland. Tried riding one here on the sunny coast for a while but sun kept making it go green and shoot off big sprouts. Means more drag. Now I mostly surf bananas with boomerang rockers
http://tomsandbasil.com/
shackattack2

Postby gavtheoldskater » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:39 pm

and who cares about crap waves.

me, love it!

adittedly i'm a bit more slective in winter, but in summer if i've spent fuel to get to the beach i literally will try anything and generally i have a good time.

also if its sub knee high and clean, bellyboard/paipo time and more barrels in one sesh than you deserve in a lifetime. if its gnarly on shore and white water to the scillies, muck about old school style in the soup. so much fun with my kid on days like that inventing stupid tricks. amazing boards, amazing fun. anyone who dismisses humble ply has no idea what they are missing out on.

best bit of all, junk surf, whatever its like, is pretty much always empty surf. and in peak season cornwall, thats prescious.

anyhow, hav'nt got a SP myself, but very sure i'm going to look for a used 5ft6 for this summer. they intrigue me, got to be worth a go i think.
a world of waves and a world of ways to ride them!
gavtheoldskater

Postby danny1 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:27 pm

gavtheoldskater wrote:
and who cares about crap waves.

me, love it!

adittedly i'm a bit more slective in winter, but in summer if i've spent fuel to get to the beach i literally will try anything and generally i have a good time.

also if its sub knee high and clean, bellyboard/paipo time and more barrels in one sesh than you deserve in a lifetime. if its gnarly on shore and white water to the scillies, muck about old school style in the soup. so much fun with my kid on days like that inventing stupid tricks. amazing boards, amazing fun. anyone who dismisses humble ply has no idea what they are missing out on.

best bit of all, junk surf, whatever its like, is pretty much always empty surf. and in peak season cornwall, thats prescious.

anyhow, hav'nt got a SP myself, but very sure i'm going to look for a used 5ft6 for this summer. they intrigue me, got to be worth a go i think.

So what your saying is you like em with salt and vinegar on?
danny1

Postby Nick... » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:47 pm

very difficult to wax, and sometimes you forget which one it is and eat it...
Nick...

Postby Jamez » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:59 pm

best board ive had and certainly couldnt do without it

its my go to board for every uk session...i then have a jp rx5 as the next step on then a jp s2 for the next step up again.

been surfing an fst for over 3 years now and one word can describe it....awesome! fst is as strong as any board ever made - ive driven over mine only to have a fin plug pull out.....otherwise still looks like new

yes works well in smal stuff but ive also surfed it in overhead pumping reefs and long fast walling grinder waves. It works best in 2-3ft waves, excels in 4ft fat waves

over head height on sucky waves it can have tendancy to pearl due to the flat rocker, however i find i make 3 of 4 waves and nose dvie the other one

fin choice is key to this board... mrtfx in front and small quad rears

also u can go super short!

enjoy! :P :P :P
Jamez

Return to General